Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate projects freezing Unity

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by rsodre, Dec 3, 2016.

1. rsodre

rsodre

Hi,

Since yesterday, any Collaborate project I open in Unity 5.5.0f3 will freeze it. Unity becomes irresponsive for a few seconds, "listens" for a brief moment then freezes again. It's useless!

If I turn off my network connection, open Unity and choose to work offline, I can work on the projects. But as soon as I turn it on and sign in, it starts freezing again. If I turn off internet, all good again.

So, I can only work offline!

Any clues?

I'm on mac OS X 10.11.6.

2. guru20

guru20

I tried Collaborate for the first time (5.5.0x1 CollaborateBeta) and wish I hadn't given it a try...
    as soon as I clicked to turn Collaborate on, Unity froze... I waited several minutes, and it was not responding at all so I force-quit the application... Started it back up to try to open it... it freezes upon opening.
    Great. So now I can't work on my application AT ALL (I am going to see if turning off internet works like it did for you. I really hope I don't have to roll everything back to the stable 5.4 and reimport all my assets... again)

3. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hey guys, I'm sorry that you're dealing with this frustrating issue. I'd like to get a little more info before coming to any conclusions.

rsodre, by "listens" what exactly are you referring to? And how large are your projects? There is a known issue where projects larger than 12 GB can take several minutes to open the first time with Collab enabled. But subsequent launches are typically much faster.

4. rsodre

rsodre

Hi Ryan,

Unity is frozen, but if I click something, it will respond to that click some time. But it's along time, 10-15 seconds.

Any project on Collab will act like this, even empty ones.

About 24hs later I opened it again and everything was back to normal. That was the second time it happened to me.

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Wow, even empty projects? That really sucks. There's definitely something going wrong there.

Are you saying that all of your projects are opening normally now with Collab enabled? You said this is the second time that these freezes happened. Did it take roughly a day for your projects to open normally again after the first time too?

If you're still experiencing these delays then it would be great if you could submit a bug. If it takes too long to wait for Unity to become responsive then force quit the Editor and use the Unity Bug Reporter to send a bug. That will include the logs of your last two attempts to open Unity and should tell us something. Even better if you could first open Unity using the command line argument: -enableCollabEventLogs. That will give us even more info that can help us figure out exactly what's happening in your case.

6. rsodre

rsodre

Only Collab projects.
    All other projects open fine.
    If I turn off my internet connection, I can work with Collab projects, but as soon as I enable it, Unity starts freezing.

About the empty project, I thought maybe I could have made an infinite loop in some editor script or something, so I deleted the project and opened it from the collab cloud again to download the previous working version. Frozen the same way, and download didn't even started.

The first time it happened was in the 5.5 beta days, so I didn't give much attention, just went to do something else.
    The second time I made this report, and it started working fine again next day.

I'll file a bug report if it happens again.

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I gotcha. That's incredibly frustrating. Please do file a bug if it happens again.

By any chance do you have a firewall running? If it happens again could you try downloading from In the Cloud with it turned off? A firewall's default settings shouldn't interrupt Collab but I'd just like to rule it out.

8. rsodre

rsodre

Hey @ryanc-unity, it's happening again!

FogBugz Case 865318

9. rsodre

rsodre

Went back to normal next morning

10. rsodre

rsodre

Started freezing again this morning, working offline.

11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Sorry for the delayed response. Just got back from vacation.

@rsodre I'm so sorry that you're still coming across this issue, even worse that it seems to work for a bit before breaking again. We got your bug report and will look at it as soon as we can. I'll update you once any progress is made on our end.

rsodre likes this.
  12. rsodre

rsodre

Happening again since yesterday... o_O

13. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thanks for the update. Our service is currently experiencing some slow down that is likely worsening your situation. We should have that slow down addressed soon. When we update here on the forums that the service is back to normal would you mind checking it again if it's still acting up for you?

14. rsodre

rsodre

Ok, I'm out! Its impossible to work like this.
    When Unity's not freezing, Collab server will not respond. Was able to make only 2 commits since last friday.
    Now that it's a big team of two people, we need to be in sync, and we can't rely on collab yet.

I case anyone want to unlink a project from Collab, you need to edit ProjectSettings.asset:

Change:
    cloudServicesEnabled:
    Collab: 0

Remove:
    cloudProjectId: xxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxx

Deleted User and Krause-Biagosch like this.
  15. Premus

Premus

I'm having this exact same problem..Me and a buddy cant do anything due to the fact right when collab is enabled unity S***s itself. I can work without collab on just fine. I've tried so many things at this point I'm about to give up.

16. KarelA

KarelA

Same thing here. Pressing Unity collab button froze my entire project. Good thing that i did a backup because the collab version is totally useless now, stuck in the limbo not responding to anything ever. Lost entire day's worth of work. Very frustrating.

Premus likes this.
  17. Premus

Premus

I sent in logs to a unity member, hoping i get a reponse on what is happening soon, look at my post to see if its the same case...

18. KarelA

KarelA

Yep. I think it seems to be same problem. When working offline it is good but as soon as log in Unity freezes.
    Noob question: Is there any way to detach your project from collab? I am currently looking at the profile settings of website but there does not seeb to be an obvious way to disable collab.

EDIT: managed to find out. You can disable collaboration in Unity editor itself which is funny because because i cannot do that since Unity does not react to anything.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  19. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

If you guys have bug report ID's like rsodre I can look into it quickly to see if you are hitting the same thing as the other user. It also helps if you launch Unity with the -enableCollabEventLogs flag from command line as that will provide additional logging information for the bug report.

If you are really stuck, think collab is to blame, and need an out at any cost (saying this because I don't know the full extent of side effects for what I am going to suggest), then inside your project root folder at the same level as the Assets folder there is another folder called Library. Inside Library is another folder called Collab. Inside of this folder is a file called "CollabSnapshot_<project-id>.txt". First try just deleting this file and restarting Unity. If this doesn't work then try deleting the Collab folder inside of the Library folder. Keep in mind that this deletes all the information that Collab has about your current local state. This might get you unstuck, but it will also need to do some extra work reprocessing your assets. It shouldn't be a full re-import, but it's going to be a longer process to open your project.

20. Premus

Premus

Thanks, and yeah I gave my crash log to Ryan on another post a while ago but still have not got a response..

21. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately Ryan is out for a few days and will be back later. I'll see if I can find your post with the bug report ID.

22. Premus

Premus

I can send you the ID, I sent him it over a DM

23. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

That will work.

24. KarelA

KarelA

I left my project open for overnight. By morning it was unlocked. This gave me a chance to disable collab. Now everything is working fine.

25. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Sorry to hear you go :( but I'd rather have you unblocked. Hopefully you'll give it another try in a later release. If the problem is what I think it is, then this is a 5.5.x specific issue. The code since then has been removed.

26. HaakonL

HaakonL

Collab is flat out useless. It started out really well in the early versions, but ever since we switched to 5.6 beta Collab freezes Unity, generates hundreds of changed files on it's own for no good reason (line endings diff between mac and pc users in our team?). Updated to 5.6f2 an hour ago, and now I can't upload changes anymore. Every time I click the Collab dropdown, I get a loader bar in the middle of the screen saying "Hold On. Importing small assets". After that nothing happens - the collab window never opens.

We stopped using the collab dropdown for pulling changes as it almost always has a red exclamation mark on it or an error message when it was opened. The history tab at least works correctly for pulling stuff. But it can't push, and now we're stuck.

Unity 5.6 is supposed to be released in 3 days, these collab bugs better be fixed in that build, if not it's not something we can use, it really kills all pleasure and productivity in Unity.

27. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Hey HaakonL, I am sorry that you are experiencing this, and it actually concerns me more in your case since you are on 5.6. Have you been submitting bug reports with these issues? We can't know what's wrong until we're told, and I don't want this to be the experience on 5.6.

28. Premus

Premus

Hey man, speaking of 5.6, every since i downloaded it my collab doesnt freeze my project! hallelujah! But now i'm having the problem of "Cannot get revision from server".

29. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Good to hear @Premus. I am personally going to be so much happier with supporting collab on 5.6. There are still some bugs but a lot more of them are cosmetic or minor in nature versus some of the more difficult issues in 5.5, not to mention there's a bunch of better restore options now in the history window on 5.6.

The specific error you are referring to, "Cannot get revision from server", more often than not, is something that can be dismissed without worry, although it can be annoying being the bright red banner it is. All that really means is during one of the regular pings to the server to see if you are working off of the latest project publish or not, we failed to get anything back from the server. I personally see this the most often just from if I left Unity open while I put my computer to sleep overnight or during lunch.

You can usually dismiss this without issue as usually by the time you actually read the message, the editor has already tried again to ping the server and got the response it needed, but we keep the error up until you dismiss it anyways. It would be more concerning if you dismissed the error and it immediately came back.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  30. HaakonL

HaakonL

I told the team last night that we'll abandon Collab, and in return I got thumbs ups, smiles, "finally", "Collab has been causing me so much trouble" etc. We're now back on our private github server and things are smooth again.

The only upside we had with Collab was that the team members not familiar with git needed less guidance and help. I hope you get it working some day.

31. Premus

Premus

Even if i dismiss the Error, it comes right back after trying to publish changes. which leads to the problem of not being able to use collab...again.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  32. erich202

erich202

Same problem in 5.5.2. Seems like Premus' problem was abandoned so I'm not even going to try 5.6. If it's not one thing it's another. I really wish asset devs wouldn't be so quick to jump to new Unity versions, it's such a vicious unnecessary cycle. Things do not need to change this quickly, especially when they're half baked.

Half my night gone to this.. can't even open the project to disable Collab. Installing 5.6 now. I wasn't even sharing with anybody else yet, and I only made one commit. It seems to have conflicted with nobody, at no other commits. Jeez. This is painful.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  33. Premus

Premus

Whats up man, yeah 5.6 worked for me after i waited out the error thing, but it came right back after like a week, and this time it hasn't gone away, although i can download my buddies changes, i can't publish my own.

34. LilGames

LilGames

It's a bit weird that every "Play" of Unity editor somehow is communicating to Collab, no?

Anyways, I had similar issue today. The Play button would stay gray, and there is a rotating icon in the lower right corner, sometimes for a second, sometimes for "way too long". I turned off Collab and the issue went away.

35. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @LilGames! We will be working on a fix for this issue very soon. We apologize for the frustration that it's causing.

36. Tim-Colle

Tim-Colle

We had the same issue a few weeks ago. Unity was freezing because of the Collab system, exactly as mentioned by
    @rsodre. We tried a lot of things to fix the issue, and we finally "found" the origin. We have 2 internet connection systems at work. When we switched our computers' connection to the other routeur, the issue was gone and Unity worked correctly with Collab.
    We contacted our IT person and asked him to find where the problem could come from, but has soon as he engaged its connection to the system, the issue was gone (black magic). So we don't know how to really fix the issue, but here was the origin.

37. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@Tim-Colle thanks a lot for that info! Do you have any additional info on what your 2 internet connections were? Were they both wireless, was one of them wired? On which one of them did Collab start working for you again?

38. Tim-Colle

Tim-Colle

The wired connection had the issue. The Wifi one had no issue. Actually, I also tried on my laptop at home (new connection) and there were no issue. It was really focused on 1 internet connection.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  39. baddeed

baddeed

Hi,
    I have the same issue on windows. Today I upraged from 5.5 to 5.6.1f1 and it starts doing it. Only Colab project freezing whole Unity window. Even the minimize, maximize and close buttons are responding every 5 seconds. In the task manager Unity looks normal 0% - 3% of procesor usage and 300MB of RAM.
    Thanks for some solution :)

40. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @baddeed! I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue. Do you have a firewall running? Have you tried turning it off to see if that helps? Can you double check that you're only connected to one internet source via wireless or wired?

41. Matt-J

Matt-J

I have the same issue with collab and 5.6.1f1. I don't even want to use it anymore as it's been a time waster. Even if I do get the project to unfreeze I can't turn collab off. It just says, in red, "Cannot disable Collaborate", just below it says "Collaborate create together seamlessly". upload_2017-6-9_0-52-56.png

42. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Matt-J! I'm sorry that you're also running into this. If you'd like to disable Collab and your connection is interfering with Services then you can try the following:
    1) Go into your ProjectSettings folder for your project.
    2) Open your ProjectSettings.asset file and look for "cloudServicesEnabled:".
    3) Underneath that option, double check that next to "Collab:" is 0 and not 1.

43. Derfel993

Derfel993

Hi all,
    maybe i can help you with some information.
    I use Unity3d & Collab with my home connection without problem, in office it freeze instead.
    I think my office firewall is causing freezing.

44. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Derfel993! Thank you for the extra info! Can you check with your office's IT department if any of these domains are being blocked by your firewall?

*.unity3d.com
    *.cloud.unity3d.com
    *.*.amazonaws.com
    *.pubnub.com

Collab relies on these domains to work properly. Please let me know what you find out!

45. Matty-J

Matty-J

Thanks that worked.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  46. Genebris

Genebris

I have 15 GB project and editor always freezes for about 20 minutes when I open it. Firewall disabled and wired connection. It happens on all versions of Unity including 2017 RC and it was like this for a long time. Will this ever be fixed or is it expected collab behavior for large projects?

47. Khazmadu

Khazmadu

I activated Collaborate yesterday to access my Project on a different PC and now it freezes on startup and I can't do anything.
    It's a very small project (120mb)

Is there any way I can turn off Collaborate from the Dashboard and go back to using the local files without opening the Project in Unity?

48. ctidavis

ctidavis

I am not having issues this severe, but every time I lose internet for a bit, Unity lags for a bit (usually between 15 and 30 seconds), which is incredibly frustrating. I'd assume this is due to collab, but I'm not sure.
    It feels as though the internet calls are done in the same thread, causing things to lag?

49. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Genebris! That is certainly not expected behavior. Would you be willing to share your project with us so that we can take a closer look at it to see if we can reproduce the lag issue? Send me a DM if you're interested in sharing it and I can send you a private link to my cloud storage.

50. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Khazmadu! Would you be willing to submit a bug report with your project? You can open the Unity Bug Reporter from the Start Menu or Applications folder without opening the Editor if it keeps freezing when you do. Be sure to attach your project folder in the attachments if you go with this approach. Let me know your fogbugz number (you should get an email 10 minutes after you've submitted the report).

After doing that, you can follow these steps to disable Collab without opening the Editor:
    1) Go into the ProjectSettings folder for your project.
    2) Open your ProjectSettings.asset file and look for "cloudServicesEnabled:".
    3) Underneath that option, double check that next to "Collab:" is 0 and not 1.