Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate preview, signin and loss of focus issues.

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Zwilnik, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

We've just starting trying out Collaborate on a small project and I'm getting some annoying issues in the preview that I hope can be fixed for release.

Firstly, when I open Unity or my project, it never remembers that the project is linked to a collaborate one, so I have to click on the "I already have a Unity project ID" link and select my organisation & project each time I start work.

Secondly, the Services tab appears to randomly (probably if it loses connection temporarily with the collaboration server) come to front and take focus away from the Inspector tab. This is really annoying when editing

2. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the trouble you are experiencing with Collaborate. I've personally seen this behavior, but it is usually when there is a flaky connection somewhere between your computer and our servers. We are currently trying to improve Collaborate's resilience to networking issues. One thing that might work and be slightly less annoying is right clicking the services window tab at the top of the window and selecting "Reload". Sometimes this forces everything to sync right up and is less annoying than relinking a project.

3. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

It feels more like Unity's not storing the info locally that the project is linked for the first part.

On the second part, it would be a lot more productive if the default behaviour when losing touch with the server wasn't to flip the interface to the services tab (or away from whatever I'm currently doing).

4. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

Reload doesn't seem to do anything to solve the first issue. I'm still left having to click on the "I already have a Unity Project ID" link and select my team + project to link to.

5. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

I agree that the services window forcing focus thing is an issue, and I will bring this up internally. I do realize that it *feels* like it is not storing the info locally but it is. However, if using it, Collab doesn't successfully connect to the server, it no longer trusts it for the editor session, hence why it asks you to enter the info instead. If we can't automatically connect, we don't want to prevent you from being able to do it manually if you know something about the setup the software doesn't.

6. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

That's the odd thing though. It's not as if I'm offline when I start up Unity. It does it every time I launch the project. So it's failing to connect to the Collab server every single time it launches (or just isn't trying for some reason). When my artist (same project, same build of Unity Collaboration preview) launches, it does automatically connect.
    So it seems like it's a bug causing my copy to simply not connect or recognise the project is already linked.

7. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

Huh, it should automatically attempt to connect. Feel free to launch your project and after failing to connect and waiting for a bit in case background jobs are going on, go ahead and hit Help->Report A Bug. This will automatically attach the log files so we can see what happened to that connect on launch.

8. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

Good plan, done!

quixotic likes this.