Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate not tracking specific files

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by SweetBro, Feb 3, 2019.

1. SweetBro

SweetBro

So I mainly use collaborate to sync files between my desktop and my laptop. I typically do this only when I'm travelling. Well I took a massive hit to my productive when mid January I performed the sync, ran off to the airport, opened up my laptop, and after debugging through a few hundred unfamiliar errors found the issue. Collaborate decided not sync a few files, retaining code from about 6 months ago. So that was about a month of work down the drain. At the time I figured, hey, this was probably my fault. Probably stopped the sync too soon.

This was a couple of months ago.

Now. I have been debugging a fairly frustrating issue that started dropping memory allocation issues. Googling around it seemed to be a bug with Unity (to no one's surprise), but I wanted to be sure that was the case. So I committed my code and reverted to an old commit earlier in the week. Hey, guess which files were not synced? That's right same ones as a few months ago. Tried to restore to the latest commit, hey same files are still not being tracked. Nice, now they're about 8 months behind.

So thank you Unity. This might be the very first time in my life, I am force to rewrite the same exact thousand lines for the third time. I am fairly certain that Dropbox of all things functions better than collaborate.

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @SweetBro! I'm terribly sorry to hear about some of your changes weren't synced. Could you tell me which version of Unity you were using and whether or not those scripts had been renamed and moved at all? In the earlier versions of Collab that used our snapshot system it was possible for some renamed script edits to be missed by the server because Collab was wrongly assuming that they were just renames and not also edits. With the removal of the snapshot system in v1.3 of the collab-proxy package, these types of missed syncs should be all but gone.