Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate not Recognizing Existing File

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Assira_Black, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Assira_Black

Assira_Black

Yesterday while working on a group project, I had updated what others had done. Then at some point it switched from a cloud based project to a local project. I was not able to publish my changes. When I tried selecting the folder under 'cloud' it then uploaded the entire folder.\I ended up with duplicated game folders because of it re-downloading the folder. It is now doing the same again. It does not seem recognize that I already have it on my computer and that it is update.

Plus there were 'phantom' versions of it still on the local section even though it had been deleted from the computer. But I found that moving the sole remaining version and then moving it back after the dashboard updated... it got rid of the phantom ones. Phantom ones, when clicked on would have the game folder name but nothing inside. No assets, coding, models, terrain, etc..

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@Assira_Black, this sounds a bit like a whitelisting bug, which is something that we resolved in 5.5+, where your project is getting unlinked randomly and you can no longer publish your changes. Can you tell me what version of Unity you're using?

It also sounds like you're trying to download your project from the cloud into the same folder as your existing project. That is generally not advised, since it would make duplicates of all your assets like what you're seeing. Try to download your project from the cloud to an empty folder and check if everything was downloaded correctly.

3. Assira_Black

Assira_Black

I have Unity Collaborate 5.5. I can not seem to find where to update any patches for Unity Collaborate. I was not trying to download the file into a file with the same named existing one. When I tried opening the existing file it was re downloading the file where I had the existing file. I did not initiate the download. Then on local menu in Unity, it has several copies of that file even though there is the two since it had redownloaded it. I delete the extra copies but they tend to stay on the local menu as 'phantom' files. Only one on the cloud. If I try opening it on the cloud, at some point it switches back to local. So then if I reopen it, it initiates the redownload phase.

Though if it has been fixed on a patch, then if you can direct me where to load that patch, that would be awesome and much appreciated. I have seen the ones for the regular unity... just not the Collaborate.

4. Assira_Black

Assira_Black

Unity Issues.PNG I have installed the patch 5.5.1pt2 and it still wants to act like the file is a new project when I try opening it on the cloud. I had the file saved locally when trying to opening on the cloud, it then wanted to redownload the game file. I tried deleting the local folder, then open it on the cloud. It loaded it and then I exited and tried opening it again... it then treated as a new project again to redownload.

Each time it redownloads, I am able to see everything in it as long as I do not close down unity... but for it to redownload each time whether I have the folder or not... it slows things down and I wind up with duplicate copies...and it makes things a bit more difficult. This happens when I click on the project under the cloud. It then wants me to select a folder to create the new project in.

I had the cloud version in it's own folder with no other project folders... it seems like once I exit it unity... it switches to just local and will not recognize that it is a cloud.

I know I am kind of all over the place in trying to describe this... I do not know how to describe it better and are new to Unity.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  5. Assira_Black

Assira_Black

Another issue, not sure if I should post a separate topic on.

When I get it open and go to work on the game, it does not show anything under the inspector or Collaborate History. Then when I click start now under the drop menu for Collaborate... it says I do not have the permissions to work on it. Even though I did in the past and are logged into my account under the account drop down menu.

Then I tried doing something within Unity and it crashed... I submitted a bug report (linking this forum post), took over an hour to load the bug package but it finally did.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Collaborate doesn't have our own separate patches at the moment. Our important fixes are included with Unity's patches. If you like, you're welcome to try either the preview build by joining our open beta here or you can download the latest beta build of Unity here, which will include even more fixes and features.

Back to your original problem, it seems like you may be confusing On Disk with In The Cloud when you are trying to open your project from the launcher (the window in the screenshot that you first shared). When you select a project from In The Cloud you're downloading the latest version of that project. After you've downloaded it, when you re-open Unity you should go to On Disk and select your downloaded project from there, instead of going to In The Cloud and downloading the project again. That way you can resume working on your project and push your changes normally.

That second problem is a whitelisting bug and may be a side effect of opening a second copy of the project that was downloaded in the same location. Try the above method and download the project in an empty folder to see if that helps resolve both of your issues.

7. Assira_Black

Assira_Black

Installing that update... made things worst or about the same. Still unable to access/work on the project. After downloading the file the first time, after deleting it all from my computer, it was a blank folder. I could see changes that were made under the drop down for Collaborate but in red it said operation was canceled and would not bring anything up under collaborate history. I closed out of it, deleted the folder again from my computer. I then tried opening unity and download the folder from the cloud again. It then crashed while attempting to download the file. So I have now completely uninstalled unity and do not have that folder on my computer.

Update:
    I have reinstalled it all, and it calls for an API update. Saying that I should backup the folder... since it is on the cloud... would I need to make a backup? And would that possibly ruin stuff for my other members? For now I have said, "No, Thanks". Other than that it appear to be working fine.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Sorry to hear that you had to reinstall Unity in order to get it working again but I'm glad that you're unblocked. As far as the message that the API needs to be updated, there may be some scripts in your project that will need to be updated because some API calls have become obsolete or renamed. Your project is technically backed up since it's on the cloud but I'd still suggest having a local backup of your project somewhere else in case your team runs into any issues with the updated version. The Console should provide you with help if any scripts need to be updated. Then, after you've resolved all errors, push your changes and have your teammates update their version of Unity to the same version that you're using before they pull your changes. Please let us know if you run into any more issues.

9. Assira_Black

Assira_Black

Thank you for all your help. I have let the coder of the group know about the API stuff.

I am just an artist. Script goes beyond my area of experience. I know very very basics of php. Barely anything beyond knowing it exists ;)

Ryan-Unity likes this.