Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

COLLABORATE IS UTTER USELESS, HAVE LOST ALL CONFIDENCE..LOOSING FILES!

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by superjayman, Feb 7, 2019.

1. superjayman

superjayman

Hey Unity what the hell is wrong with Collaborate, it is basically Completely Useless.. IT DOES NOT WORK! EVEN FOR BASIC STUFF!!!.. After using it for about a week, I have given up.

I have lost hours of work many times over, as It cannot merge scenes without loosing files.. Followed all the documentation and correct steps still no good.

eg. Person A. Works on the scene placed Few NPC's did other simple stuff copy new walls around then commit the changes.. Person B, need to update, Unity asks that scene has changed and you want to reload. Guess what ALL THE CHANGES I DID ARE LOST...

I'm so angry that you guys don't test even the most basic functionality!.

A few times , after Update IT LOST THE WHOLE TERRAIN ASSET FILE!!.. I had to manually copy the file over the network..

==> IT DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO COLLABORATE OVER TERRAIN UPDATES???? So, person A could be placing trees, person B could be Painting the terrain ect.. Guess What, DOES NOT WORK AT ALL????

WHAT SHOULD WE DO, SCARED TO WORK WITH COLLABORATE NOW AS IT IS UN-PREDICTABLE?

IT IS NOT ROBUST AND IT IS BUGGY!!

Marc-Saubion and LIVENDA_LABS like this.
  2. zereda-games

zereda-games

I've seen this a lot today... Scares me when looking into collab for myself. I havn't used it much and not enough to know the good's or the bad's... Hmmm what would be an alternative for now.. Both are changing the same scene? That could be an issue.. your both overwriting each-others scene file.. I would suggest each work on different scenes or different area's of the projects at once. that way there are not conflicting changes happening.. If buddy didn't update his/her package after you updated collab and instead updated collab, all your updates would be overwritten. Make sure one is Updating collab and the other updates their project when something is changed. Make backups, Always, back ups of backups even... when making a change so in the case things do not work the first time. try again. Don't get frustrated, frustration makes you forget things and skip steps. slow down pay attention to everything you both do and do as you were before and follow the steps, just take your time. Pay attention to what has changed and who has changed it. Who is updating the repository and who is updating their project. If you both are changing things, well you may need to do other shenanigans.

3. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @superjayman. Which version of Unity were you using? I'm sorry that you've been running into issues with Collab. When Person B updated and grabbed your changes, were they notified of any conflicts with their own scene file changes in the Collab Toolbar? If they had conflicting changes then our merge tool should have asked how they wanted to handle the merging of those scenes. If you ran into a scenario where our tool is consistently ignoring conflicting changes in a scene then we want to fix it. Could you please submit a bug report with clear repro steps so that we can address it right away?

As for Terrain assets, they are forced to be formatted as binary files since they deal with so much data that is easier for Unity to handle when it's compressed rather than if it were formatted to plain text. When enabled, Collab forces most assets to be formatted as text files so that merge tools can read them, but it seems that some assets are excluded from Unity's format preferences, like the Terrain assets. This essentially means that only one user's changes to Terrains can be handled at a time. I'm terribly sorry for this confusion and I will be making sure that this exclusion is made clearer in our documentation.