Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate is no longer supported? And Plastic SCM questions

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Angop, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Angop

Angop

Hi all,

(First post so please lmk if anything is wrong!) I'm learning Unity in a Game Design class this semester. My team (and most of the class) started out using Collaborate and we recently found out Unity is moving toward Plastic SCM. This article seems to suggest unarchived projects will be archived February 28th. As I'm new to Unity, I'm not sure what it means by this. Will Collaborate no longer be supported after this date?

I have looked into switching to Plastic SCM, but my team has 5 members and the free tier only supports 3 members on Plastic. It seems the pricing is $7/person per month if you exceed 3 members, but will that be $7 for each additional person ($14/month) or $7 for each ($35/month)? Also, does anyone know if there is a student discount available?

If Collaborate truly is no longer supported after Feb. 28th, I suggest you warn people creating a new Collaborate project so they aren't caught off guard when their project is deleted.

Thank you for the help in advance!

Areltoid likes this.
  2. dpappa127

dpappa127

Not sure of your answer, but thought I would chime in here.
    I am a high school teacher and just started using Unity with my students this semester. I have a Unity ID and my students also have one. They are sharing their Unity scenes with me through Collaborate. I can see their names in my Dashboard, but when I click on them, I am only getting statistical data. How can I actually view their games on my end? Not sure how this works. If Collaborate is no longer available, then I guess I need to look for something else that is "free". Please let me know how to handle sharing and viewing work with students. Thanks!
    Dianne

Areltoid likes this.
  3. Danny327

Danny327

Unity Technologies

@Angop Correct. Collaborate will go away soon and we're currently in the process of migrating our users' active Collab projects to Plastic SCM. Once migrated, you won't be able to use Collaborate for your projects.

It should be $7 per user/month. Please refer to our pricing page for more details. As for the student discount, you can check out our official document here.

If you didn't notice yet, we do give our users a heads-up by displaying a notification at the very top of Collaborate page of the dashboard regarding what will be happening after that date.

4. Danny327

Danny327

Unity Technologies

@dpappa127 Could you check if you have an access level of User or higher? Typically, with only a Guest access role, you only get access to statistical data. Make sure you have at least a user access role, and you are added to the Teams Advanced plan associated with the organization. Then you will be able to view the project's Collaborate data either from the dashboard or the Hub for project download.

Please consider giving Plastic SCM a chance because it's basically a free service just like Collaborate in a way that you can use all its features free of charge as long as you don't exceed 5GB of storage quota and 3 users. You will get charged only if you need to exceed that usage level. You can also refer to our pricing page for more details.

5. LilGames

LilGames

ON TOP of the "Teams" subscription we're already paying for??

Areltoid likes this.