Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Collaborate, is it actually usable?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Munchy2007, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

This evening I decided I wanted to delete a folder from my project, so I uploaded to collaborate before I proceeded, so that I could revert back if I wanted.

Not long after I deleted the folder, I decided that it wasn't the what I wanted after all, so I reverted the changes in collaborate, and following that the project has numerous errors, mainly it seems because none of the PUN classes can be found. (The folder I deleted was nothing to do with PUN btw and there were no problems when I uploaded the project).

Even creating a new empty project, linking it to collaborate and restoring my last upload results in a broken project. So what was uploaded as an error free project is now a useless broken mess when downloaded.

Fortunately, I had a local copy of the project folder with everything but a few script changes (which I can recover from the broken project), but this begs the question, is collaborate useable in its present state?

2. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

This prompted me to finally try and get my head around using something else for backups, so following this somewhat out of date tutorial https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/cloud-build/creating-your-first-source-control-repository, I eventually managed to get Sourcetree working with Bitbucket.

So with a bit of luck, no more Collaborate headaches for me.

Edit: In fact if anyone else is looking to make the switch from collaborate, this is a much more in depth and up to date set of tutorial videos for adding source control to your Unity project.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  3. LucasRizzotto

LucasRizzotto

I'm about to quit using collaborate too. They should be calling this an Alpha given how unreliable it is.

Munchy2007 likes this.
  4. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

I'm getting the hang of using Sourcetree and GitHub now and it's so much better in all respects.

I completely agree with you, collaborate just isn't safe enough to rely on for backup, and as far as source control goes it can't touch GitHub for features.