Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate displays upload blue arrow in menu but green mark in the popup

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Rafarel, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hello , I have some modification to publish but Unity won't let me publish.
    As the title of my thread says : "Collaborate displays upload blue arrow in menu but green mark in the popup"
    Is there any way to manually triggers the "Hold On" window that check if anything has changed ?
    To fix the issue I have to restart Unity.

Here is a screen shot:

Collab-wrong-display.png

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Rafarel, great to hear from you again. With v1.2.16 of Collab the only way to manually trigger a rescan is by restarting Unity. With v2.0 there is a rescan button that will trigger it as well. How often do you find your project getting into this state?

3. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hi @ryanc-unity , thanks for helping me all the time :)
    I'm on 1.2.16 and it happens some times like once a week.
    It is not critical, it's just a waste of time...
    I'm updating to preview-17 2.0.0 to test the improvements and make useful report on this version.
    What are the main differences for this major version ?
    Thanks !

4. Rafarel

Rafarel

@ryanc-unity I've updated to preview-17 2.0.0
    First thing happened to me : it overrides my collab.ignore file so I had to recreate it.
    Is there a way you prevent this by merging the two of them (yours and theirs) ?

5. cryptoforge

cryptoforge

THIS IS F***ING ANNOYING FIX THIS S*** ALREADY!!! IT"S BEEN HAPPENING FOR YEARS.

6. Rafarel

Rafarel

Woops, just happened with the update to the preview 17 :(
    Here is a screen shot below.

I restarted Unity then I had to pull an update from my team before doing anything else.
    Some weird files also started to appear in Project settings folder.
    I never saw this kind of files in the collab window.
    I feel I do not have the control of my source versioning ^^

collab-preview-17.png

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Rafarel, you actually should have your original .collabignore file in your project's history as a backup file, called collabignore.txt. Because Collab v2.0 allows you to commit folders outside of the Asset folder we needed to add additional ignore rules so that it wouldn't be adding additional folders that users might not want to have synced, like the Library and Temp folders. However, we didn't want to risk accidentally overwriting important ignore rules added by the user. That's why when upgrading to v2.0 you should have seen a prompt about how your original .collabignore file would be turned into a backup file. Did you not see that when installing v2.0 preview 17? Your original rules should still exist in the collabignore.txt file.

As for your other issue, could you list which files you're seeing under the Project Settings folder that you aren't used to seeing? And as for the Collab Toolbar being out of sync with itself, did you restart Unity after installing v2.0 of Collab? It's an important step to restart Unity to ensure that the old package gets unloaded and the new one gets loaded instead, since much of Collab's functionality is setup during Unity's startup. Please let me know if you're still seeing those sync issues after you restart Unity.

8. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hi @ryanc-unity, Thanks, I saw it afterwards because all of my team members asked me "what is this file?" :)

It is the XRSettings.asset file, so I commit it in doubt (In not using XR features, I'm working on a 2D towerdefense game)

Of course I restart Unity every time I have these kind of issues and everytime I update critical packages.
    Here is a screenshot of the last weird UI bug I had.
    But is at OK green but the windows is stuck on Scanning project ...

collab-preview-17-scan.png

Other questions :

I also encountered some issue to exclude some folders in my assets folders.
    I mean the content of the folder itself is excluded but not the folder itself...
    The meta file of the folder seems to be on Collab.
    Is there a way to browse collab content like on Github?
    Is collab based on git for this version? Is there a way to use git-cli to check status?

And I also have the project sln file that was added to the collab repo, is this OK ?
    Should I exclude it ?

By the way here is my custom collabignore section :

Code (text):
    1. # Custom rules
    2. # ========
    4. [Aa]ssetBundles/
    6. [Aa]ssets/*uhd.psd
    7. [Aa]ssets/Stats/
    8. [Aa]ssets/@R&D/
    9. [Aa]ssets/EntityCache/
    10. [Aa]ssets/Plugins/Editor/JetBrains/
    11. [Aa]ssets/Plugins/Sirenix/Demos/
    12. [Aa]ssets/FR2_Cache.asset
    13. [Aa]ssets/StreamingAssets/
    Have a nice day !

9. Rafarel

Rafarel

I found a webpage to see the collab content, yay !
    So there are some empty folders and no way to remove them from collab ...
    I mean locally I need the content to test some code like in my @R&D folder but I do not need the empty folder on collab.
    Is the only way to remove it is by cut the folder and paste it elsewhere, then commit the removal of the folder, then restore it and it should be ignored thanks to my ignore rules ?

Collab-browser.png

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Regarding the XRAssets.setting file, that new file was added due to the growing demand for XR platforms which required them to have their own file for settings related to them. It's better to commit all files in your Project Settings, even if you are certain that your project won't use those features. If it isn't there then Unity will just recreate it anyway, so might as well keep it there.

That's a good response to have when running into issues like these, making sure that everything is up to date and restarting Unity just to be sure. Have you tried letting the scanning for project wait for a few minutes? It's scan time is proportional to the size of your project so for larger projects it's expected to need to wait up to five minutes for the scan to finish. If it takes longer than that then something is definitely wrong.

Your project's .sln file is useful for remembering which files you had opened in visual studio and will remember which pages you had opened when you close it. It can be very useful for you but other teammates may have different views that they prefer. It's really up to you and your team if you'd rather share a .sln file or ignore it and let each of you keep your own copy to work with.

Your ignore rules look just fine. Regarding ignoring folders, adding a folder in your ignore list only prevents new changes from being detected. It does not delete those assets from the repo. If you'd like the empty folder to not show up in your teammate's repos then you'll need to do what you suggested: unignore the folder, remove it from your project, publish the "delete", add the folder back in your project and reignore the folder. You should be good to go after that.

11. Rafarel

Rafarel

Thanks for your answers, it makes thing a lot clearer for me now :)
    I encountered a lot of weird behaviors today but I think I'll post new threads to keep things organized.
    Thanks again, have a good day @ryanc-unity

Ryan-Unity likes this.