Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate destroys objects

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Fischchen123, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Fischchen123

Fischchen123

Hey guys!
    I have a big problem: I have a Collaborate Project with a friend and sometimes when we upload or download stuff via Collaborate some of our Terrains just get deleted, it seemingly has nothing to do with when those objects got created, sometimes user deleted objects reappear somehow! We should have enough storage to not have storage problem! What can I do to prevent that?
    Please help!

Thanks in advance,
    Fischchen

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi Fishchen, I'm sorry that you're running into issues with your Terrain objects being deleted and that game objects which were previously deleted are reappearing in your scenes. That's very bizarre. If you were running low on cloud storage than your publishes would fail with an error message indicating that in the Console and Collab Toolbar. Do you and your teammate make use of the Go Back feature in the Collab History window to undo changes from recent commits? That could help to explain why some recently deleted objects are returning. As for your Terrains being deleted, are you both committing changes to your Terrains at the same time? Do you ever see merge conflicts appear in the Collab Toolbar after pulling your teammate's changes that are centered around the scenes with the missing Terrains?

3. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I'm glad to hear that you're actively working to avoid merge conflicts. So your game objects are losing references to your Terrain object because the Terrain is being recast as an unknown asset type? Since the file's extension isn't changing, what does the Terrain asset look like in the Unity Inspector? Does it still have the values you expect it to have?

Collab does have issues with merging Terrain assets because they're forced to be formatted as binary, rather than text. Since Unity's YAML Merge tool, which is what Collab uses to handle auto-merging, can only merge assets serialized in text format, Terrain merge conflicts are essentially ignored. That could explain why your Terrain assets are experiencing these issues. We're aiming to fix these issues with the new merging tool that we're working on.

4. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

We have exactly the same problem, Terrains are almost always broken after collab download. WE started to backup terrains locally because of it :( Is that already fixed?