Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate deletes files by itself, and has now duplicated every file

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by SixTimesNothing, Jul 22, 2021.

1. SixTimesNothing

SixTimesNothing

Hi, I've experienced a couple of strange issues with Collaborate over the past week:

1. Collaborate keeps automatically deleting 4 specific files from my project, this occurred multiple times, usually after closing and re-opening the project or creating a build. In total, this has occurred about 10 times. This was always the same 4 files, and all of these files were Photoshop PSDs. I have never manually deleted these files. They can be recovered by discarding the delete change made by Collaborate, but this is annoying to do.

2. The second issue has only occurred once, this morning. After starting Unity with the same project, Collaborate had an alert saying that changes had been synched to the server and I needed to update. After updating, it duplicated every file in the entire project. I have not remedied this yet, but am assuming the best course of action will be to delete all local files and synch the project fresh from the server.

Console error that was part of the above:

Note: I am also submitting bug reports for both issues separately.

Hoping to identify if this is a known issue, or if there are any other solutions I can try.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice – much appreciated!

2. ValeryNikulina

ValeryNikulina

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I'm sorry that you've faced this issue with Collaborate.

Thanks for submitting the tickets! Let's see if we can find the source of the issue.

As the workaround for it, as you've mentioned, is to remove the local folder of the project and to download the recent repo from the cloud. But I'm afraid this way you will lose all your local edits that haven't been published to the service yet.

For such situations, in order to save the local changes that you have, I can offer the following:
    1. Close all Unity instances
    2. Rename your Project folder and keep it as a backup
    3. Open the Unity Editor and download a fresh copy of your Project (This should now be your latest revision)
    4. Close the Unity Editor once the download is complete
    5. Copy and paste your Assets and ProjectSettings folders from your backup to your new download
    6. Reopen the Unity Editor and publish changes that have been identified

I do hope that we can investigate this further in the ticket, and then, if we do find a fix, we'll be able to post it here :)

3. SixTimesNothing

SixTimesNothing

Hi @ValeryNikulina thank you for the response to my thread. I did already go ahead and remove the local folder and re-download from the repo. I was actually quite lucky that there were no outstanding local edits to published so no work lost and no workaround needed! :)

It seems to be working ok now and I haven't seen a recurrence of either issue – I just made the first new publish to Collaborate since the re-download this evening though, so I'll see if those happen again.

The one odd thing that I have now is that I see this notification:

Only that's my name/account – not another person! I re-published the scene also with my latest publish, but it still appears like that.

4. ValeryNikulina

ValeryNikulina

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I'm glad to hear it's working as intended now!

About the changes and names. This icon with an orange person means how many instances you have opened and which account. If you go to Dashboard, navigate to Collaborate service -> In-Progress, you will see what accounts had this project opened. If you want - you can clear them, then Collaborate won't see it. And this icon should disappear.

Please let me know if this works for you and if there're more issues :)