Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collab v2.0.0-preview.17 Fatal Error Out of memory

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Ukitakemalcom, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Ukitakemalcom

Ukitakemalcom

One of my team members is having trouble getting updates from collab.

OutOfMemory.PNG

Every time he tries to download something he gets this error and the Editor closes.

We have updated the project recently from unity 2017.4 to unity 2018.4 and collab to the last version (v2.0.0-preview.17) because the times of the "Checking for changes" were big (40+ minutes).

Is there any solution, any files that are broken or old or any workarround to this problem?

Thank you.

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Ukitakemalcom, that's very odd that Unity is trying to allocate 9PB of memory!!! How large is your project?

3. Ukitakemalcom

Ukitakemalcom

It's less than 10GB but has lots of small assets (55672 files only of custom ScriptableObjects) that we are trying to reduce.

That problem occurred when a member of the group uploaded a lot of existing images (400 files) with new settings of compression (From none to use crunch compression 70%) and the other members tried to download all that.

We found out that updating using the collab history panel was more successful to us. After a few tries, all of us except one got the update. With the last member the memory problem was impossible to overcome and we sent him a copy of the updated project to merge the changes manually.

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

That's very interesting. Would you be alright if we made a copy of your project to test with, to see why all those changes caused this memory exception?

5. Saismirk

Saismirk

The same exact error was experienced today by our team, the same exact 9PB string with the same version of Collab. Still trying to figure out a fix.

6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@Saismirk, I'm sorry you're running into it too. Have more than one person on your team been running into this crash? Could you give some details on the size of your project, how many updates were being pulled and roughly how many changes were included in those commits? Does the crash happen every time trying to get these updates? Does it happen when trying to redownload it from the Cloud?

Would you be OK with letting the team make a copy of your project so that we can try to reproduce the issue on our end to debug what's going on? All you'd need to do is send a DM to me with your project's UPID and permission to make a copy.

7. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hello @ryanc-unity, same issue here.
    I can't pull modifications from Collab, it crashes every time!
    I'll send you the informations in a direct message like you said to Saismirk.

collab-memory-crash.png

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  8. Ukitakemalcom

Ukitakemalcom

It's been a while since my team are dealing with this error. Right now I cannot download from our collab and it is a bit frustrating because it seems that no collab version at the moment is good for us.
    • Every time we need to download, the error shows up after downloading the update/s.
    • After restarting, and waiting for changes to rescan, trying to update crashes Unity with the fatal error. (Restart again and repeat a few times worked in the past...). It doesn't download again, I supose the downloaded info is already in the library/collab folder or somewhere else.
    • We discovered that we had a higher success rate if we used the Collab history window to update (pressing the update button there instead of the button in the collab panel).
    • [WARNING] If I try to download with the update button in the Collab history window before waiting for the rescan to finish... The process doesn't crash Unity but it also doesn't do any merge... It just replaces all the files with the remote ones.
    For now I don't have any idea of what else to do to update the project with the automatic merge.

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Ukitakemalcom, I'm sorry to hear that you're still encountering this issue. Could you please submit a ticket with our Support team via the Developer Dashboard so that we can assist you more with resolving this issue?