Search Unity

Collab Section Concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Prion Games, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khyrid

Khyrid

False. There are objective factors in what makes a game project realistic or not. There are reasonable standards that can be established. People can *try to make whatever they want, but please keep that crap off the forums if the project fails to meet established standards. It's work for the mods and it detracts from actual projects with at least some potential.

I have come to realize that a naive CEO dev isn't going to grow much here and they do more harm than good.

2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

That's a problem for people looking to join projects, not for people trying to recruit.

And really, how hard is it to specifically ask a poster for more information, via PM or whatever? If you're not even motivated enough to send someone a simple message to ask for information, it doesn't sound like you're very interested in the project, and wouldn't be a very good recruit.

Alright, I'm drunk enough to do this.

I grabbed a page of Collab threads from around the end of May 2012, just before the new rules came into effect. Filtering it down to only threads that are "I have a project and want people to work with me to make it" threads (i.e. skipping all the looking-for-work, newbies-banding-together, socializing, general advice, and unintelligible foreign language threads), I'm left with 21 of the original 40 threads on the page. So a little more than half the threads posted at that time were people actually recruiting for projects.

Of those 21 threads:

• 3 now have dead websites.
    • 2 are simply untraceable - no name, no website, no other posts by the user, etc. One of those did originally have a video but it's since been taken down.
    • 6 posted no screenshots/videos/downloads/etc and nothing more can be discovered about the project
    • 4 originally had something to show - video, screenshots, etc - but no apparent progress has been made since the thread was posted
    • 1 went on to run a Kickstarter campaign, and fail, and is now apparently dead
    • 1 was actually cancelled in November 2012 (i.e. they posted on their website that they were giving up on the game)
    • 1 has (I think) been canned/shelved and the developer restart the project with a different idea - not sure how much sense it makes to call it the same project.
    • 2 are still actively recruiting and have made progress (Project Dehrgada and Eve of Ebon)
    • 1 is currently conducting a closed beta of a massively cut-down version of their original collab proposal (Galaxy-In-Flames: The Crucible).

So. Of 21 recruitment threads, 3 have made some kind of notable progress (though none of them have actually shipped to the public yet). That's a 14% survival rate amongst those threads.

Now, fast forward a month. The new rules have been in effect for about 28 days by this point, giving the traffic time to settle into a new pattern and the moderators time to get their groove.

Again, I take a page of 40 threads, eliminate the non-recruiting-for-a-project threads - this time I am left with 31 threads. I'm also going to eliminate 1 thread that offers payment (and so should have been in the Commercial Work section), leaving me with 30. That's an increase from 52% of the page being recruitment threads to 75%.

Of those 30 threads:

• 12 posted no screenshots/videos/downloads/etc and nothing more can be discovered about the project
    • 8 (+1 duplicate) originally had something to show - video, screenshots, etc - but no apparent progress has been made since soon after the thread was posted.
    • 1 is simply untraceable.
    • 1 is recruiting a programmer to maintain and extend some already-released games (and relocate, on a volunteer basis :confused:) - not counting this as successful as the recruiter's website still says he is a one-man operation.
    • 1 has not shown any progress since October 2012. The project appears to have caused a lot of controversy due to comments made by the project leader - it's not clear what effect this has had on the project itself. A blog critical of the project appears to have much more traffic than the project itself...
    • 4 (+1 duplicate) have shown development activity recently (Thale, Halo: Missing In Action, FrontWar, Jurassic Park fangame)
    • 1 has already shipped (Cardiac Fitness Racer)

Of 30 recruitment threads, 6 have made some kind of notable progress. That's a 20% survival rate amongst those threads.

Well. That was a couple of hours of my life that I'm not getting back.

As demonstrated, back when the Collab section drew in the large crowd of people who wanted to comment on the threads - many of whom are indeed very talented - the project survival rate was actually slightly worse. So either the Collab forum hasn't had a drop in readership like has been proposed, or you're wrong about the connection: having more readers does not translate into more successful projects, and having fewer readers does not translate into fewer successful projects.

Oh c'mon, that's bullshit. I never used the word 'only.' Yes, it's complex, there are multiple factors in play, yadda yadda... we can still reason about what the major ones are and how they work.

Conjecture a general theory - in multiple parts, if you want! - for why the collaboration section isn't working, something that can be examined, can be tested, and can be used to inform policy changes, and then this discussion might become a lot more productive. But until we've got that, throwing out ideas for rating systems and staging subforums and community voting and all that crap is an attempt to fix a problem without a clear grasp on what the problem is.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

So we are seeing a rise in Project survival this is good!

20% is way better than 14%...

So something must have worked.

4. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Superpig, with the x equals y I was talking about my own post, not yours. Also, I am not trying to say that what we have now is worse than what we had before. It most certainly is not. I'm just trying to point out that there are still problems with the current model. I am not surprised at the increased survival rate. There is much less clutter in collaboration now. It still is not a great solution, though. Another thing is there were many people who avoided collab even before the new model. There are fewer people who go there now that the chance has been put in place, but I was trying to make the point that once collaboration is fixed it will get many of the readers back, many of whom are talented artisans looking to collaborate on a serious project. Even though this current model is better than its predecessor, it is still very flawed both for the project starter and the artisan looking to collaborate.

5. Prion Games

Prion Games

It is true we have fewer projects, higher success rates, but still the gap between the two is still too large.

6. superpig

superpig

Aw man, so I trawled through all those PoS project threads for nothing? :(

Personally, speaking in my capacity as a talented artisal (if you'll permit me to claim such) I'm not interested in volunteer projects, both from a working-as-a-volunteer perspective - I want to get paid for my work - and from a management perspective. Volunteers are notoriously flaky, and I'd be concerned about the output quality of anyone who doesn't think their work deserves payment too.

Also:

Between the two what?

7. Prion Games

Prion Games

How many projects that actually get going, and the success rates for them.

8. superpig

superpig

Oh. Well, yeah. Most volunteer projects fail. That's true pretty much everywhere.

All UT can really do about it is try and use moderation policies that predict which ones will fail and prevent them from cluttering up the forum, which the present policy aims to do. I actually think they could toughen it up a bit more, but *shrug*

9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I'm not sure the methodology for dead projects is really that useful...

For all intents and purposes this is a dead project: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/135308-Seeking-Artist-for-Quick-iOS-Project. It certainly didn't finish in 6 weeks as planned.

But we now have a rather nice game, fully functional and running at 60fps on all target devices with multiple stages, power ups, character levels, goals, soundtrack, etc.

$RVR-Snaps.jpg

A lot of people post, get the people and then start working! Not everyone wants to do every project as a WIP forum post with developer diaries, and updated pictures, etc.

10. superpig

superpig

Ahem. You've not asked me what my methodology was :p

It's not like I just read the threads themselves. I looked onwards through user profiles. I hunted down game websites, trawled through forums, Youtube channels, Facebook pages, Twitter feeds. I looked at other things the developer then went on to do - in a number of cases a solo recruiter is later seen looking for work, and if I see no later posts about the project then I conclude they shelved it. And so on.

Of course it's possible for any of these projects to be working on in silence, or for them to just have been temporarily shelved... but in most cases, I doubt it. I went back 6 months on purpose; 6 months is a very long time for people to work on something in secret when they're not getting paid. It's very tough to keep them motivated for that long.

I can provide the list of threads I examined if you'd like to assess them for yourself.

11. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I wouldn't say for nothing. It's a very good and useful statistic. It also creates a baseline for the next reincarnation of collaboration.

This is one of the reasons I stay away from collaboration. I'm a follower of the "if you want something done right, do it yourself" philosophy. I do have an artist, but he is a core member of my team and is very reliable.

12. Prion Games

Prion Games

I am just awaiting to see if the Admins managed to look this over and discuss any options.

13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

You explained enough of your methodology for me to have some confidence in my statement. Specifically how you collected your samples, the time frame it was conducted in*, and the fact that you did it while drunk :)

I don't agree with your premise that no public internet activity for 6 months means no activity; many projects both commercial and collaboration are kept quiet on purpose.

Anyways this is even more pointless than the original discussion, stopping.

----
    *From this I can conclude that it it was very likely to be an internet based search, not, for example, contacting people directly and awaiting their responses.

14. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

On another (more relevant?) note, I don't think that a project being active or being finished is the only measure of a successful collaboration.

Connecting with like-minded people and learning new techniques are two examples of good things that can come out of a failed project.

15. Prion Games

Prion Games

Good collab thread to me is one that unites members, gets other involved in the discussion/updates, even if they do not join, as long as they are participating in the discussion.

16. Acumen

Acumen

The only thing i see is that now especially you, Prion Games, still have this itch of discussing people's project, teaching them and giving advice where they didn't ask for it in the first place.
    You went from the collaboration forums over to the commercial forums and just post there a lot now. Maybe because some moderators are finally putting out some hints out that this is not wanted we are back to the collaboration discussion again.

The collaboration forums are a much much more civilized and organized place nowadays that it ever has been. And all the talkytalky was transferred to the commercial forums, but that thankfully is changing now as well. It's just a sign of the forums getting more mature over the years and stuff gets balanced out in the long run.

And just because you bring that "issue" up over and over again doesn't mean that a mass amount of people share the same problem. I know that's what this thread is for, however I don't see too overwhelming sharing of opinions on the collaboration forums being the heart and soul of the forums. I browse the collaboration forums on a 2-3 days basis to see anything I feel I could enjoy or be helpful in and it's a wonderful place to get straight to the point information nowadays with the posing quality guidelines. It was horrible before but now I can quickly skim through a lot of threads and decide which ones are to my liking. Mission accomplished, imo.
    I'd rather see the standards of the collaboration forumg being transferred to the commercial section.
    Because for me these 2 are an attachment to the forums. I don't wanna waste hours sipping through threads there. I take some 10-20 minutes and that's it. I want to get lost in the showcase, work in progress or the problem solving forums, that's where my time goes and where the heart and soul of the community lies in. And that's where the magic happens :)

17. Prion Games

Prion Games

Tell me something, if this thread is so pointless why does it carry over 200 replies in a day of being up?

The thread is obviously relevant or it would not have drawn soo much attention, and an Admin would have felt inclined to close it early on.

On top of that the thread has already geared out many great suggestions on ways to go about fixing these issues we have.

There may be a large member base against any change on the Collabs section, but they choose to stay silent. There is also more than likely people who wish change as we do in this thread who also wish to stay non public of their opinions. But regardless the public has spoken in a way of sorts through this thread, sorry if by me making this particular thread angers you in anyway but I was simply voicing my opinion of sorts. For the most part it has went rather well and above all very clean. Shoot I have seen many people join in on this chat that normally are at each others throats, I am quite pleased with the "Unity"(Union) we have all shown here.

18. Meltdown

Meltdown

I still say some sort of form needs to be filled in, that outlines the project in detail, and forces users to enter as much info as possible.
    Obviously not everything can be filled in, but people submitting must understand the more information that's been entered. the more likely chance they will have of attracting potential team members.

Perhaps like going on in the Commercial Work section, Collab should be split into two sections..

1.) Projects looking for people
    2.) People looking for projects

And the form/data requirements for each are obviously different.
    I don't think there is a big issue, people just need more guidance than a big textfield where anything can be entered.

19. Prion Games

Prion Games

Well if you think about is Commercial and Collab are counterparts. They can really be split simply by Paid and Free. So if the answer to Commercial is Buy and Sell section, why not a similar setup for Collab? Sounds very logical, that could be a step in the right direction. Then the other issues can be addressed thereafter. So in simple terms make 2 sub sections/sections, and then add the additional fine tuning afterwards. Including allowed posting, etc.

20. superpig

superpig

Alright, fair enough :D

OK. That'll probably affect both samples to a similar extent, though? I suppose that's not a very safe assumption in a sample size this small...

Originally your complaint was "It is getting way to hard to recruit or even find a team now," i.e. a successful collab thread is one that leads to successful recruiting or successfully finding a team to join.

But now you're defining a successful collab thread as one that gets a discussion going, regardless of whether anyone actually joins a team.

So which is it?

Note that your second definition is pretty much in direct conflict with the present policy, which explicitly outlaws discussion within the forum.

21. Prion Games

Prion Games

Exactly one of the many changes needed.

I have no direct issue with Collab as there are more than one that needs fixed. So yes, from many angles there needs to be different solutions. Thus why the quick fix was not working and the reasoning behind this thread.

Part of getting people motivated to join you is to have an interesting project. Thus one people are talking about and keeping up conversations in.

People tend to get a thrill saying they help make such and such game, specially when the support on the community is there, and many people bring it back up.

Sometimes the popular decision is the right one. :) We just need to form a popular decision.

Plus these are not complaints but mere suggestions to better the community.

A complaint would entitle an issue or unfair treatment by a certain party that you feel is wrong. In this case there is no wrong or right, nor a party to blame. As a whole we all are still trying to find a solution to a problem as if something broke in a game that we need to wrap our minds around to solve.

I can compare this thread actually to an "inside joke", it was meant to be funny yet takes awhile to figure it out, then once we get it we all chuckle later.

22. superpig

superpig

...or your idea about what constitutes 'good' Collab traffic is wrong and needs to change. Sometimes the solution to a problem is to realize that it's not actually a problem at all.

Ah! In which case the present way of running the Collab section is not wrong, none of the ideas posted in this thread are - or ever will be - right, and we can all go home for hot cocoa now.

Thread over, everybody wins!

23. khanstruct

khanstruct

I agree that some (most) projects here are unrealistic and doomed for failure. But again, it is not your place to tell people that. If you don't think they'll succeed, shut-up and walk away. No one is asking for your advice as to the feasibility of their game, so don't offer it.

That is where all the problems come from in the Collab forum; people "offering" unwanted advice.

24. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

That was not the only problem. There were "cartels" of posters... forget their name now... large group of people posting 3D models everywhere and basically spamming and monopolizing half the front page and drowned everyone else.

There were also people that may fall under "unwanted advice" but you would see easily they had their own collab they would tout all the way (basically: sabotaging to lower recruitment competition.)

There were also several troll threads, not always started due to collab inspiration. I think I remember at least one thread from someone that went to collab and make an MMO FPS Modern Combat Pokemon (bit of hyperbole here) collab after getting annoyed with the constant gossip threads on those topics.

Mind you, there were also collab threads that actually requested feedback yet went into flame-fests when they didn't hear waves of praise. “Requested advice” was as big of a flame war starter as “unwanted advice.”

Never mind the people that started a new project every month, or heck every week, not even bumping, just all new "ideas."

Anyways, my point: I'm sure the mods had more than unwanted advice to deal with in that forum section.

25. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

PUYA 3D - the pinnacle of "entertainment" in the old collaboration section... and it got even crazier behind the scenes with them ;-)

Anyway, we have an ongoing discussion at UT about how to move forward with this and I'm sure Aurore will figure out a good solution in the future.

26. BorkZork

BorkZork

I'm new to the unity forums, I posted a thread in the collab section, and nothing has happend, is that normal (I would expect at least an awaiting moderation message or something), or did the thread not post for some reason (I tried again, did nothing),
    thanks,

27. dtg108

dtg108

It's awaiting authorization. You should know if you don't get a response within about 5 days that you didn't get approved. Watch the collab forums to see.

28. Prion Games

Prion Games

You had to bring up Pokemon, you just had to lol. Now the urge is present lol. JK, one day fellas, one day. :)

29. khanstruct

khanstruct

That guy was a whole new level of crazy. I will miss him.

30. Myhijim

Myhijim

31. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Was it really just one guy? If so he had one hell of a skill managing multiple accounts...

32. Khyrid

Khyrid

I don't think people should spam advice either, I think threads should continue to be screened, just once a thread is accepted people can post freely with non-advice post preferably. That's all I meant, I think I misunderstood what you said somewhat as meaning that the mods shouldn't decide either?

33. khanstruct

khanstruct

Yes. A small feud between he and I lead to me learning all about him. Just glad he's gone for good this time.

Re-reading my post, I think I came off as a bit more harsh/rude than I meant to be. Thanks for replying so civilly.

While I think a new system should be built from the ground up, I agree that a good start/temporary fix would be to allow open posting on approved threads. Not being able to post updates, respond to posts and bump with pertinent information is a bit of a pain.

Sure, you could possibly have a WIP thread for updates, but that's a bit scattered, and you may not be looking to "show off" your work as much as you're simply showing that work is still being done.

34. KeBo

KeBo

I agree with this. I hardly check the Collaboration thread anymore. I've just been going to Unity Gossip as of late. Collaboration forum just feels dead...

35. Prion Games

Prion Games

Yes, I think change will be coming though. Now this thread threw so many ideas out their, most were the same in many variations. I Unity can now look this over and get a plan in pace.

36. Myhijim

Myhijim

I would give it 3 years

Also I recently moved to Gamedev.net for my team ads, they have a pretty good system

37. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

*Disclaimer: I need to test this is possible before we actually go ahead, but I am keen to hear your thoughts on our solution.

Ok, so after reading all the views and discussions with mods and admins we have decided to somewhat reopen the collaboration forum. For now we think it is best to test the waters a little and allow anyone with at least 200 posts to be able to post freely without need for moderation. Anyone below that number will need to have their thread moderated.

We will not allow replies on accepted threads just yet, we would first like to see how opening it up a little goes, please keep in mind that we rely on the community to report threads that do not obey the rules.

The rules of the forum will be revamped and reposted to allow for this change, please remember that this is a proposition, I need to test it in practice on our testing platform (which is currently under maintenance -_- so boo). But I'd like to know what you think before I go ahead and test something that everyone scream NUUUUH to.

38. dtg108

dtg108

Yes! When is this going into place? Can't wait to see how it works.

39. Aurore

Aurore

I'll test it as soon as our testing site is not under maintenance, so long story short this should be in place before the end of the week.

40. dtg108

dtg108

Cool, so glad you listened to our feedback :D. Hope all goes well and we can keep this running without much of a problem.

41. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

From reading this it doesn't actually look like the main issue has been adressed. The issue is that you can't comment on the threads and such imo. The thread approval is within 48 hours which is fast. I mean, if you cant wait 48hours for a thread to go up you have an issue.

42. dtg108

dtg108

Many have mentioned thread approval time if you've been paying attention. She said that we were just testing and she wouldn't allow posts YET.

43. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

But my point is the concern I feel most of us have is that we can't post, so the whole thread approval change seems.. well.. irrelevant. I do hope YET is the keyword

44. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Personally: i think those threads should be posted un-moderated anyways. I would add a repost timer of a month minimum (endless edits, though), to make sure any post in the section is not "bumped" via re-creation of threads, or to make sure poeple commit to their project (instead of posting a different project every week.)

Would be useful if the forum automatically set a big [If interested contact here] button at the end of the post with a link to PM the user, but thats a bit of a stretch since I have no clue what the forum capabilities are.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  45. dtg108

dtg108

Which threads should be un-moderated? The 200+ post count threads? I agree with the repost timer, there should definitely be one. No reason to start a new project within a month.

46. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I mean that although I agree with the forum lockdown, I never thought the moderation of the OP step was needed or helpful. The biggest issue in the forum were the flames against the OP. Secondary issue is constant thread starting.

By preventing comments, we fix the first issue.
    By adding a timer we fix the second issue.

Some one posts a lame project thread, their loss. They are forced to wait out on their timer to repost, or attempt to update their thread.

47. Aurore

Aurore

Unfortunately a timer is not possible, as I mentioned before there are a tonne of good ideas but we are limited to what we can do in the immediate future. 200+ post counts would be un-moderated. We don't want to allow replies just yet, we want to see how this would go first.

48. dtg108

dtg108

I don't know, comments would be helpful. I agree however, thread moderation doesn't really help. If they post a bad thread, it could be deleted.

49. dtg108

dtg108

I think comments would be helpful, but I understand why you would want to wait and test things first. Can't wait to see how it goes.

50. squared55

squared55

What if replies didn't bump the thread? That would stop people from constantly keeping theirs at the top, but would still allow discussion. Is that possible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.