Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Solved] Collab not finding any changes

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by AndyNeoman, Jul 16, 2019.

1. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

HI all,

I've just upgraded to unity 2018.4 and Collab 2.0 preview due to lots of crashing issues in previous version. Now the project is stable and not crashing anywhere near as much but now collab is not finding any changes I do.

The project just has a green tick even though I have done additional work and saved the project. I have scanned for changes several times but it's not found any.

Any idea what the issue is?

Edit :- I've just scanned again and now it has an error too saying "something went wrong please try again later.

Thanks

Andy

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @AndyNeoman, can you try deleting the contents of this folder in case there is anything from previous installs that is preventing Collab from scanning your changes properly?
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Unity\Browser\Cache

Keep in mind that the scan time is proportional to the size of your project, so the bigger your project the longer the scan time will be.

3. rasto61

rasto61

@ryanc-unity
    Updated to 2.0.0 pr 17 and getting the same behavior as above. I also cleaned the folder you suggested.
    Also deleted the Collab Snapshot

Getting this in the console:
    CollabProxyException: invalid path '\\?\C:\Users\{MEE}\Documents\Unity Projects\{PROJECT NAME}\Assets\NatureManufacture Assets\Advanced Rock Pack\Demo and Maps\_TerrainAutoUpgrade\layer_T_Ground_Dirt_01_A_SmT_Ground_Dirt_01_N(6.000,6.000)(0.000,0.000)(0.000,0.000,0.000),0.650,0.000.terrainlayer.meta' (path too long)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    CollabProxy.Client.CollabVersionControl:LogExceptionDetails(Exception) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@2.0.0-preview.17/Editor/Client/CollabVersionControl.cs:445)
    CollabProxy.Client.CollabVersionControl:OnGetChangesException(Exception) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@2.0.0-preview.17/Editor/Client/CollabVersionControl.cs:242)
    CollabProxy.Client.<>c__DisplayClass18_0`1:<RegisterListener>b__0(PacketHeader, Connection, String) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@2.0.0-preview.17/Editor/Client/CollabProxyClient.cs:286)
    NetworkCommsDotNet.Tools.PacketTypeHandlerDelegateWrapper`1:process(PacketHeader, Connection, Object)
    NetworkCommsDotNet.Connections.Connection:TriggerSpecificPacketHandlers(PacketHeader, Object)
    NetworkCommsDotNet.NetworkComms:TriggerAllPacketHandlers(PacketHeader, Connection, MemoryStream, SendReceiveOptions, Boolean)
    NetworkCommsDotNet.NetworkComms:TriggerAllPacketHandlers(PacketHeader, Connection, MemoryStream, SendReceiveOptions)
    NetworkCommsDotNet.NetworkComms:CompleteIncomingItemTask(Object)
    NetworkCommsDotNet.Tools.CommsThreadPool:ThreadWorker(Object)
    System.Threading.ThreadHelper:ThreadStart(Object)

and collab window looks like:
    Screenshot (38)_LI.jpg

4. rasto61

rasto61

Hi, any suggestions to what I mentioned?
    Cant update what I need to because I cant commit the latest version.

5. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hey same here, collab is not finding any changes unless I do rescan the project.
    Happens randomly

6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @rasto61, from the error message you're getting it seems that your path name is too long for the Collab Proxy to handle. The current path length limit for Windows is 260 and your path there is 264. You can either drop some of the characters in your asset names or shorten the name of your folders. You should be able to publish again after resolving the above error.

@Rafarel, if you're using Collab v2.0 then what you're experiencing is normal behavior. Collab v2.0 does not auto-detect changes except for specific scenarios (mainly at start up and after a publish/update). If you are making local changes and saving them, you'll need to press the rescan button in the Collab Toolbar before it can pick up those changes.

7. rasto61

rasto61

That worked. Is it possible to increase the path length though?

And what do I do about this:
    CollabProxyException: the index is locked; this might be due to a concurrent or crashed process
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    CollabProxy.Client.CollabVersionControl:LogExceptionDetails(Exception) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@2.0.0-preview.17/Editor/Client/CollabVersionControl.cs:445)
    CollabProxy.Client.CollabVersionControl:OnUpdateHeadException(Exception) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@2.0.0-preview.17/Editor/Client/CollabVersionControl.cs:224)
    CollabProxy.Client.<>c__DisplayClass18_0`1:<RegisterListener>b__0(PacketHeader, Connection, String) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@2.0.0-preview.17/Editor/Client/CollabProxyClient.cs:286)
    NetworkCommsDotNet.Tools.PacketTypeHandlerDelegateWrapper`1:process(PacketHeader, Connection, Object)
    NetworkCommsDotNet.Connections.Connection:TriggerSpecificPacketHandlers(PacketHeader, Object)
    NetworkCommsDotNet.NetworkComms:TriggerAllPacketHandlers(PacketHeader, Connection, MemoryStream, SendReceiveOptions, Boolean)
    NetworkCommsDotNet.NetworkComms:TriggerAllPacketHandlers(PacketHeader, Connection, MemoryStream, SendReceiveOptions)
    NetworkCommsDotNet.NetworkComms:CompleteIncomingItemTask(Object)
    NetworkCommsDotNet.Tools.CommsThreadPool:ThreadWorker(Object)
    System.Threading.ThreadHelper:ThreadStart(Object)

?

8. Rafarel

Rafarel

Hey, I ran into the same issue this morning !

1 - Close your Unity Editor
    2 - Go to the .collab folder at the root of your project (it is an hidden folder)
    3 - Delete the index.lock file
    4 - Restart Unity, all should work properly now :)

Hope this helps !

9. rasto61

rasto61

Thanks. That did remove the error.

@ryanc-unity Unfortunately now the editor keeps crashing whenever I initiate a rescan. :( Keeps spinning and after some time crashes. Do you have any suggestions for that ?

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @rasto61, that's strange that it keeps crashing on you. Does your Editor.log mention the cause of the crash? You can learn how to find your Editor log here.

11. rasto61

rasto61

I did check that but it didn't seem to mention anything related.
    I think though that removing the Library and restarting did solve it.

12. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm glad to hear that you're unblocked now. Please let us know if you run into any more issues.

rasto61 likes this.
  13. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

I know this thread says solved but unfortunately it never was. I simply went back to the non preview collab 1. but this is causing lots of issues and crashes so i am back again. I removed the index.locked file suggested above as i did with the cache above. I still constantly get sorry something went wrong. Also could someone explain the collabingnore files. I seem to have 3, one which never allows me to add my assets/ignorefolders. v20collab collabignore.txt and collabignore. Any idea which one I need and which one i can add my ignore folders too.

14. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @AndyNeo, I'm sorry that we haven't addressed your issue yet. Since you've tried deleting the lock file already I would recommend deleting your Library folder and restarting your project to clear this issue.

As for the multiple ignore files you seem to have, when upgrading from Collab v1.2.X to 2.0 the .collabignore file gets replaced with an updated version since Collab 2.0 can now publish changes from outside of the Assets folder. We create a backup of your existing .collabignore file and rename it to collabignore.txt to avoid overwriting any custom rules. I have no idea where the third one came from that won't let you add any ignore rules, but that is not the one that Collab pays attention to. That one should be safe to delete, as well as the .txt backup after you've finished copying over any custom rules into the new one.

AndyNeoman likes this.
  15. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Thanks Ryan. This has got rid of the something went wrong issue but collab has again made the v2ocollab file blank in regard to my asset/ignore folders. Any idea why my changes keep getting wiped?

Also my teammate has reverted back to the old collab not the preview are they compatible I.e can he stay on version 1 with me on version 2?

Edit 2: seems a false positive. even though the green tick is there now im not getting any changes. Pressing rescan appears to be doing nothing. The project has changes but collab is not seeing them.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  16. christophera_unity

christophera_unity

Unity Technologies

@AndyNeoman when you refer to collab making the v2 collab file blank, what do you mean? I assume you are referring to the .collabignore file - correct me if I'm wrong. Do you mean blank as in empty, or blank as missing the changes you made to it?

So, theoretically, you can have interoperation between a user on v1 and one on v2. There is an issue that makes that a little difficult though. Collab sends up the manifest.json which includes the collab-proxy package version, so whoever publishes their changes will overwrite the version for the other. The work around would be to add that file to the collabignore, but then you'd lose the ability to update other packages via collab revisions.

The green tick and no changes popping up usually indicates there has been an exception during the scan. If it pops up immediately it's often a lock file, a file permission issue, or collab has experienced a serious error and you'll need to restart unity.

I hope this has answered your questions.

17. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Thanks @christophera_unity the V2collab file was simply in read only mode for some reason. Changing to read/write allowed updating but I still have not got collba 2.0 working. Ive had to revert again. It just does not seem to like my project. I will try again when there is a new version and hope I can get it working because the amount of crashes I get from collab 1 when updating from my teammates is a nightmare. I've tried all the fixes listed above and never managed a single publish using collab 2. Im at a loss why.

18. christophera_unity

christophera_unity

Unity Technologies

@AndyNeoman I'm sorry Collab v2.0 didn't work out for you. I'm not sure what could be causing the issues you are seeing. However, your bug has been recorded and we'll try find some time to take a look at it while we work on New Collab.