Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Feedback Collab loses link if computer clock changes

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by hippocoder, Nov 6, 2019.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi,

My computer's cmos battery is a bit iffy so the time changes a few times a day, which causes collab to lose it's link every single time. And even if I resync the time, it requires me to restart the whole editor and input credentials once again. Quite tiring.

Can you advise? it's a fragile test at best for whatever DRM approach is used.

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hey @hippocoder, that is super frustrating but also pretty bizarre that that keeps happening. So each time the time changes on its own Collab and the Services window loses its link to your cloud project or it just Collab that disconnects? Do you get logged out of the Editor too or is just Collab affected? How much does the time change for you, a couple minutes, hours, or days?

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think it's probably licensing based, but it'll happen if its a couple of hours off.

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

That seems very likely. The best we can guess is that there might be an authorization token that is expiring after the time change, but that when Unity goes to grab a new one then the time difference might still be confusing the authorization system and results in you not being able to log back in automatically. I'm not sure if there's much we can do but I'll ask the licensing team on if they have any suggestions. Is there any reason that the CMOS battery can't be replaced?

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

"Is there any reason that the CMOS battery can't be replaced?"

It's not faulty, it started happening when I did a brand new fresh install of Windows - weird I guess. I thought it was the battery at first.

6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

That is definitely odd. Do you experience any issues with using Google services when your clock changes? Typically when the clock changes drastically SSL connections can't be made at all, which might be the reason for your difficulties with staying signed in.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I fixed it resetting cmos. Was odd. But now, I get periodic error messages whenever from collab which often sometimes trigger even entering playmode. But I had that on my other machine anyway so it's just a collab thing. Restarting unity fixes that.

I will mention though with a heavy heart, the service is probably rough around the edges still.

Ryan-Unity likes this.