Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collab Journey from 2019.3 to 2020.2a

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Lurking-Ninja, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Hi, so, I had the unlucky streak here, testing through myself with different Unity versions and Collab versions too.
    Since I'm a Plus subscriber with some extra storage, thought I will use Collab to store my project. I am currently a loner developer so it is not about collaboration but about version control.
    Here is what I found out.

- the default 1.2.16 (verified) does not login at all. It asks me to sign up to some beta program and throws me onto the id.unity.com site where my repos are, no beta program in site (sorry, all puns intended) of course
    - no problem, update Collab to 2.0.0-preview 20: it works, yay! I mean I can commit files and I can pull and all, so it's working.
    Except it runs me mad with these errors:
    And then it repeats in roughly every minute. Now I have 99 errors in the Console. Grrr. Of course I can delete them but if I forget, I can hunt my own messages among them.

2020.1beta: it works! The 2.0.0 version works like a charm. No problems in sight, no error spamming, no sign-in problems, it accepts my admittedly quirky .collabignore file.

2020.2alpha: it crashes as soon as I introduce my .collabignore file. It is virtually unusable for me. The editor crashes without any hesitation. (I reported it here, no comment on it so far)

Why am I trying to ignore the entire Assets folder? It is a technique I started to use a couple of years ago. Since various packages from any random Asset Store package to Unity's own Samples and whatnot put all the trash and everything in the Assets root. I ignore those because I don't want to commit them into the VCS. I allow some specific folders like Resources, Addressable stuff, and my own folder, where I develop the thing I'm working on.

2. christophera_unity

christophera_unity

Unity Technologies

@Lurking-Ninja thanks for pointing that out. I believe I missed a meta file in the latest update!
    Please use 2.1 on 2020.1+
    2.0 and 1.2 will not work.

Also, ignoring the asset directory will cause a crash and is a known issue. We have someone looking at it right now.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.