Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collab for Bug Reports

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by atmuc, Dec 22, 2016.

1. atmuc

atmuc

Unity staff says he cannot access my collab project to reproduce my reported bug. for each bug report it is not easy to upload 1 GB project. it is time and money consuming process. How can i share my collab project to unity staff?

2. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

As far as I know, we don't want to enable the ability for us to directly access your content without permission, even if it is for debug purposes, is because it is your content, and more often than not devs don't like outside eyes seeing their unreleased content.

If you are sure of what is causing the bug and can reliably reproduce it, the best solution would be to just make a quick proof of concept project and upload that. This keeps the uploaded file size down and reduces the noise for us when using the project to verify the bug and diagnose what to do about the bug. Now, there is an obvious workaround that I'll ping around internally to make sure there is nothing wrong with this, but if you really don't want to upload a private copy with the bug report, you could include a comment offering to temporarily add someone to the collab project so they can download it and add it to the report themselves. That being said, these are often large projects with lots of parts, and a lot of noise, not to mention liability. This should really be reserved as a last resort rather than a goto solution, and only if both you and the person handling the case are willing to go this route with you offering the project invite.

3. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

I should add that this is really only a problem if the project is absolutely needed for the bug. Sometimes we just need the logs and the uploaded project was not needed. I've processed a lot of bug reports where the attached project wasn't that helpful, but a quick look through the logs showed that a server request returned an error code instead of what it was supposed to. At that point it becomes a server problem which is rarely project dependant. Also screenshots, pictures, especially animated gifs are really awesome for diagnosing issues and will often give us the situational info needed for a repro.

4. atmuc

atmuc

@Gurg so far i reported many bugs and it was easy to make reproducible project for few of them. So i had to include projects. There should be option on bug reports to give access to collab project. For the last bug, unity editor crashes on WebGL build. i assume it is serious thing for Unity. WebGL build takes too long. And in my case it crashes. I had a Pro license with a crashing editor. I want to help Unity to report this bug. Unity should help me to get project from collab :) If Unity will not use collab for bug reports i will use just git for source control. because i have few problems with collab i use both git and collab. i commit to collab just for bug reports. I suggest adding collab access permission on bug reporting tool.

5. Gurg

Gurg

Unity Technologies

I realize the pain point this is. It is a lot of wasted bandwidth, and now that I think of it, a lot of ISP's nowadays are really cracking down with monthly data caps. I was mostly trying to suggest workarounds, and I probably got too defensive because sharing a project seems like a lot of risk on both parties.

While we don't have the current capability you are talking about, I would imagine it wouldn't be the most difficult thing in the world to implement. The main issue would be extending Collab from just living in the editor to also having logic in either the bug reporter or purely on the server that receives the reports. And it would make sense considering the project is already being stored on our servers through Collab. This could potentially make bug reporting a lot less painful. I will see what I can do to make this a thing.

atmuc likes this.
  6. itcentar

itcentar

Hello, i just notice that Collab does not notice changes in to my dynamic fields (int Slider in my video).
    It works fine with the regular public fields (boolean field in my video).
    Here's the video to notice problem closely:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021