Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Collab] Archive::ArchiveError: but not arichived project

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by SAKAMOTO_Yasuaki, Jan 10, 2021.

1. SAKAMOTO_Yasuaki

SAKAMOTO_Yasuaki

[Collab] Archive::ArchiveError: Unable to perform requested action on a project that has been archived. To unarchive this project, navigate to the Developer Dashboard at http://developer.cloud.unity3d.com and click View Archived Projects. Select the 'Unarchive' button to restore the desired project.

But this project not archived.
    version
    ---
    Unity 2019.4.6F1

AmienNguyen, Jzitnik64 and hippocoder like this.
  2. TheSwatch

TheSwatch

I'm having this same issue with a project I Unarchived.

SAKAMOTO_Yasuaki likes this.
  3. SAKAMOTO_Yasuaki

SAKAMOTO_Yasuaki

I solved problem.
    unity dashboard => storage => Archiving and Unarchiving a Project
    this button was archived (but I don't remember to push this button) so, I push button to unarchive project.

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 0.08.19.png

Vlad_clas likes this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I have this problem now. But my project very much **IS** un-archived. And obviously, I'm not an idiot, so this is a bug and a stressful one as I am unable to access my own work on Unity's paid servers.

Please fix - I sent a ticket.

5. ValeryNikulina

ValeryNikulina

Unity Technologies

Hi,

That's right, the last reply is generally the fix for the issue.

There're two ways of archiving projects: for all services and for only Collaborate. Sometimes when you unarchive a project for all services, it's still archived for Collaborate. In this case please follow the steps below to unarchive your project for Unity Collaborate:
    1. Navigate to the Dashboard
    2. Click Explore under Collaborate tab
    3. Choose the project in question
    4. From the left navigation bar select Storage
    5. Click Unarchive
    I hope this is helpful! If the issue still persists, please submit a support ticket and we'll do our best to assist you :)

VladimirBoychuk and jee4242 like this.
  6. ValeryNikulina

ValeryNikulina

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Have you heard from us yet? If not - please let me know the ticket number in private messages and I'll be able to have a look at this.

7. unity_100027162

unity_100027162

Have the same problem, however my project IS for sure unarchived (see screenshots below)

Attached Files:

AmienNguyen and Adefuye like this.
  8. _a

_a

Having the same issue. No archived projects, but Unity is claiming that my project has been archived.

Adefuye likes this.
  9. MinskWorks

MinskWorks

I was having this issue this morning, looks like it could be due to the project being on 2018 and Unity Collab moving over to Plastic SCM. Tested upgrading the project and now get a prompt asking if I'd like to move over to Plastic SCM. So might be worth trying that if others get this!

tzer-kee and Adefuye like this.
  10. steve_dy

steve_dy

Having the same problem... It should be something related to Plastic CSM migration.

Our projects are not Archived (and have never been archived) and Unity keeps saying they are Archived.

tzer-kee and Adefuye like this.
  11. Blue-Mirror

Blue-Mirror

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  12. steve_dy

steve_dy

Just found a way to fix this:

First, it was because of the upgrade to Plastic SCM, so in order to be able to upgrade the working Unity version must be:

2019.4.32f1 or later 2019.4 versions
    2020.3.20f1 or later 2020.3 versions
    2021.1.25f1 or later 2021.1 versions
    2021.2.0b16 or later 2021.2 versions
    2022.1.0a12 or later 2022.1 versions

(Info taken from documentation)

So in case you are on one of those versions and the problem is still there, go to Window / Package Manager and update the "Version Control" plugin

Once updated there will appear a popup asking to upgrade to Plastic SCM, I did it with all my Collab projects, and not it seems everything is working.

alejofuce and Blue-Mirror like this.
  13. phuong_unity

phuong_unity

If Collaborate has not been upgraded to Plastic SCM for your project, you can access the archive/unarchive options on the Storage page of the UDP dashboard. You can also visit that page to find out if Collaborate has already been upgraded to Plastic SCM.
    UDP Dashboard - Storage Page.png

14. nuxvomo

nuxvomo

I've been wrestling with this and here's what worked for me.
    So as outlined above make sure you're on a new enough version of Unity to support Plastic SCM and make sure your project is not archived.

Now:

1. In your Unity project click the cloud icon in the top right to open the Services tab (see pic)
    2. Turn off Collaborate (see pic)
    3. This should activate the Plastic SCM tab (see pic, mine showed up on the bottom left by the console so I moved it to where my services are due to habit and comfort)
    4. Now you can make a workspace and or check in changes as needed

Hope that helps!

Attached Files:

phuong_unity likes this.
  15. Liason23

Liason23

Or project is updated to plastic scm @phuong_unity but it still says project is archived when we try to sync collaborate from our project. Please help , this has put or dev on halt.

Adefuye likes this.
  16. TaeJong

TaeJong

So the conclusion is to update Unity and install plastic scm???

17. Adefuye

Adefuye

having the same issue after being prompted to upgrade to Plastic SCM, ignored the upgrade and was still getting the same error, I then complied to the upgrade and still received the same error, not sure what the issue is..

18. Adefuye

Adefuye

SOLUTION: My project was automatically migrated to the new Plastic SCM but I was still trying to use the old Unity Collab, so since my project technically doesn't exist within "Unity Collab" anymore, it's giving me the error saying that my project was archived.

I've since installed Plastic SCM version control software to continue working with others on my project. There was huge misunderstanding in the migration process

Once your project has been migrated to Plastic SCM, trying to use the built-in Unity Collab will no longer work

19. vrwarehouse

vrwarehouse

we are having the same issue you were experiencing.

Not sure what you mean by “install plastic scam version control software” do you mean a separate plastic scm software exists, that we have to run alongside unity?

If that’s not what you mean, the only other area, that I am aware of, to update the version control is through package manager, and we have been updated that, still getting this issue

20. jimbobs

jimbobs

I had the same problems and finally resolved it after days of fiddling around. Thanks to @nuxvomo for the comment, that was the final piece of the jigsaw I was missing. Let me summarise what I've learned for the benefit of anyone else who is stuck, because this isn't very well explained by Unity.

1. If you were using Unity Collaborate, behind the scenes your project's version history was being maintained by a now-outdated and discontinued version control system. Sometime in the past several months, in the background, without you having to do anything, Unity has actually moved your project over to a new version control system called PlasticSCM.

2. Now that Collaborate is effectively discontinued, and PlasticSCM is the new version control mechanism, the first thing you need to realise is that you may need to update your Unity editor version, because older versions do not have PlasticSCM built-in so at some point you will no longer be able to checkin / checkout. Also, if you open a remote project on a new computer, you may find that the project is EMPTY (this happened to me, and I absolutely shat my pants). But don't worry, your project is still there, it's just that your old Unity editor doesn't know how to checkout the project. There's a pinned forum post about this, here's the important bit:

So the first thing to do is update to one of these versions or later, and open your project using the new editor. Your project will be upgraded to the new version. If this is not possible for whatever reason, that's when you need to install PlasticSCM separately - there's a guide on how to do this. This means you will need to manage your version control outside of Unity.

While your project is being upgraded to the new version, you may see the Collaborate button in the top toolbar (to the left of the cloud button) change to say "PlasticSCM". But, if you have the same problem that I did, after a few more seconds, or as soon as the editor loses focus and then you go back to it, you might get another round of progress bars and the project re-importing, and then the PlasticSCM button will change back to Collaborate. If this happens, see point 4.

3. You may also need to update your version of the Version Control package in package manager for the same reason - old versions may not support PlasticSCM. If you don't see an entry for Version Control, look for a package called Collaborate - this is the old name for the Version Control package. Update it and it will magically turn into the Version Control package.

Screenshot 2022-03-28 180341.jpg

4. If you still have the Collaborate button in the top right, instead of PlasticSCM, and / or if you have an error saying that the project is Archived even though it isn't (this confusing error message is explained below), you may need to turn off Collaborate. Doing this is also a bit buggy so may need a few attempts - in Unity editor, open the Services tab, and look for Collaborate. Click on it. You will hopefully see a toggle switch to turn it off. The first time I tried this, I didn't - just go back, then click on Collaborate again. Keep doing this until you get the toggle switch. Turn Collaborate OFF.

Hopefully you will now see a PlasticSCM window in the editor, and you can checkin changes to your code. (If not, try from the top menu bar Window -> Plastic SCM)

Some more info

If you get the error saying that the project is archived, even though you can see that it isn't in Dashboard, the reason is that there are actually 2 different meanings of the term "archived" in Unity. One is for the whole project, but confusingly there is another: the old Collaborate version history of your project can itself be archived, while the project itself isn't. This makes sense - Unity have in the background copied everyone's old Collaborate version history to PlasticSCM, and made the old Collaborate version history read-only. You can actually see this if you go to Explore Services, then click on Collaborate:

1.PNG

Then click on Storage - you will see an explanation that the "Collaborate version" of your project is in fact archived. There's also a slightly scary message about it being permanently deleted in May 2022, and option to export it if, for some reason, you absolutely need to have the old Collaborate version of your project.

Out of curiosity I did click on the Export button, and it's still at 0% after about half an hour, so if you need this I would recommend starting it NOW - it says it can take days (!) to complete.

It's also worth clicking the "Please review your migrated repos now" link - this will take you to the Plastic SCM website, where you will see your project is now hosted with Plastic SCM, not internally at Unity:

2.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    vrwarehouse likes this.
  21. pablogonzalezguerra

pablogonzalezguerra

22. vrwarehouse

vrwarehouse

@jimbobs Beautiful breakdown, we appreciate such nuance detail on our end, helped us. Thank you!

23. rumpiturr

rumpiturr

Hey we are using version 2018.3.3 to make our project, as i know this version should not support plastic SCM but we got this error;

"
    [Collab] Archive::ArchiveError: Unable to perform requested action on a project that has been archived. To unarchive this project, navigate to the Developer Dashboard at http://developer.cloud.unity3d.com and click View Archived Projects. Select the 'Unarchive' button to restore the desired project.
    "

and our project is not archived, please help us thx.

24. DerDicke

DerDicke

same problem, but different.
    Converted to Plastic, had problems, then found a button to disable it. Now I'm stuck. Cannot sync on Collab, cannot re-enable plastic. Only getting this damn error. What can I do?

25. ippdev

ippdev

I double-click on a Changeset in 2021.2.18f1 and this pile of garbage is making me install an external app to work and taking up the last few precious gigs on my C drive.I have no idea why the PackageManager did not install the requisite tools to have this work out of the box. I have no idea if I am up to date. I have no idea what the little blue bar is doing ..something about local changes..but every fifth or sixth time it pegs it presents an error dialogue with text too small to read about timeouts and adjusting them somewhere that can't be found.. Garbage.. This is an entirely intuitive pile of crap.

I tried Plastic SCM about a 18 months back and did not like it. It got in the way of working and I could not understand the hype and promptly went back to collab so I could just push a button and download my partners works or upload mine. I am trying to work under a tight deadline with my job on the line after just moving and being offline five days and I come back to this mess.

Whilsty yer enjoying that cash Plastic maybe you could tailor your software so it is not a hodge podge of snippets and unintuitive button labels and lists that serve what purpose beyond having a list add to the confusion.. Then ya got yer hired help from Unity Tech who think it is appropriate to reply to someone voicing the same complaints as are spammed across the entire forum as though they are a unique case and to file a bug report. The hubris and lack of awareness when making such a reply is astoundingly blindered.

26. ippdev

ippdev

Further to add to this. We have one of the stakeholders who has repo access. Getting him walked thru Collab was like making a Luddite use a weaving machione. I do not think he is gonna like this at all. He writes my paycheque.. Not everyone using your software is comp sci grad or wishes to even dabble in tech. Oftentimes they are the one with the chequebook open funding the tech guys. I know for a fact you have disaabled this fellows ability to download our work.

27. DerDicke

DerDicke

Found a solution for my case.
    - Find Services/Collaborate and disable it
    - Restart Unity
    - Now Windows/Plastic SCM is accessible

One vaguely related thing:
    Setting ignores by context menu didn't work for me in Plastic. You have to edit "ignore.conf" by hand. Also ignores seem to be local on your computer. So everyone has her own ignores?

Good luck.

28. ippdev

ippdev

Got that done and have to deal with an interminable timeout error every 5 to 20 seconds..I must config a server and client to avoid this/. There is no indiication where that is but I guarantee you it aiin't where it should be. It will; be in some obscure rathiole of a folder somewhere you have top ferret out. This is utter incompetence to trash peiopl.es workflow in the middle of mission critical projects with a forced sidegrade to a piece of crap byggy as hell software that c;licks me into dead ends with no exit..

29. DerDicke

DerDicke

I feel you, man. Version Control should just work and solve problems instead of creating. Luckily I have everything in an svn repo. Just in case the whole thing goes sideways. Good luck.

30. dalem12

dalem12

Here is another potential fix that fixed my issue as I had some problem as OP but my project was never archived.

The Source Control settings (DevOps > Cloud Build > Config > Edit Source Control) wasn't configured properly. I am using the free version of Plastic SCM (the one they ask you to upgrade to if you were previously using Colab).

All I had to do was select Plastic SCM, enter my SCM details (in my case it was my 'UnityOrganizationName@cloud' [this can also be found in the Plastic SCM app > Cloud > server list]). Once that had gone through you are asked to login but I just clicked 'Continue with Unity ID'.

That's it, all working now. Hope this helps someone :)