Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collab 2.0.0 preview 17 - Out of memory error

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Raul_T, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Raul_T

Raul_T

Hello!

Currently testing the Collab 2 preview as we have a rather big project and the checking for changes at the beginning of starting unity is kinda bothering with the old collab.

I've noticed every time I try to rescan, the collab will throw this error and decided to report it in.

upload_2019-6-16_18-8-0.png

Not sure how this would even happen as there are ~ 20GBs of RAM available at the time the error shows. Also there is more than 200GB currently available on the ssd where I keep the unity projects so storage shouldn't be an issue either. Restarting Unity doesn't fix the issue and also uninstalling and reinstalling collab doesn't either.

So I believe it has to be some kind of bug? Or is there any hardcoded memory usage limit that collab follows?

Project is rather big - 40GB - not sure if this might be an issue especially since collab 2 seems to be featured to be used for big projects.

Thanks,
    Raul

2. Raul_T

Raul_T

Seems like the issue is with big files - temporary removed a 2.8gb file we had in project (biggest one) and now it re-scans succesfully.

Hopefully this is a bug/issue and not by design, as bigger files can be a common thing for big projects with huge open world levels like ours.

3. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi again @Raul_MadGoat. Collab is limited to what Google's Cloud Service can handle, which is currently 5TiB. If your 2.8GB file is causing problems with Collab's scanning then that's a bug. Do you have any other large files in your project that cause similar issues when trying to publish them?

If you run into any more strange errors from Collab then you can turn on additional logging in the Editor.log file to help us with debugging. You can do this by starting up the the Hub from the command line and passing in the following argument without the double quotes: "-enableCollabEventLogs". You won't see extra logging in the Console but from there you can open your Editor log to see extra Collab related messaging. From there you can search for "error"s or "warning"s to see if they mention any specific files that are causing problems.

[EDIT] Clarified that Collab does have a size limit for individual assets and updated my original statement.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Raul_T likes this.
  4. Raul_T

Raul_T

Thanks, I will try again with the collab logging enabled and see exactly what happens. Will probably post the log here too as it might help you if its a bug.

Regarding the issue in my other thread, after reverting and redoing the exact changes publishing worked, so I'm really not sure what was it about. My guess is that when I moved the files around something went bad between the actual file and what collab stores in it's library folder? However I can't seem to reproduce it anymore...

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

If you do decide to use the extra logging then it'd be best to post those in DMs. The logs can display personally identifiable information, like your project ID, machine specs, etc, that most would prefer to keep private. Just letting you know. :)

That's very bizarre that it's not reproducing. Please let us know if you run into anything like that again. When you do, you can turn on Collab's extra logging, then retry to publish and let it fail. Your logs will have the useful info around what's causing that error.

Raul_T likes this.
  6. Raul_T

Raul_T

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  7. Raul_T

Raul_T

8. hollysephiroth

hollysephiroth

I was having same problems before I reverted back to colab 1.2.16 , would love to know whats going on

Raul_T likes this.
  9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Raul_MadGoat and @hollysephiroth, we're still investigating the exact reason for this issue and will update you both here when we have more info.

Raul_T likes this.
  10. tcz8

tcz8

I'm having this problem too.

FYI Collaborate has been a nightmare for us, we are trying to develop a game here and it has wasted so many precious hours.

They are adding up and this service we pay a montly fee for is really starting to cost us.

How quickly can we expect a fix on this?

Is Collaborate a priority for you guys? I mean, if github had an issue, it would be fixed within hours. You guys have been at it over a year now and it's still unreliable.

What is going on?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @tcz8, I'm sorry that you've been having trouble with Collaborate. We have big plans for the service that you can ready more about in https://forum.unity.com/threads/collaborate-developer-diary-1-exploring-the-new-design.703502/. The proposed changes will include a complete overhaul of the backend, as well as the frontend, and will replace the versions of Collaborate that exist currently. With this new refactor will come a faster iteration time on bugs. We will make regular dev diary updates on our progress so that you can all be kept up to date on what the team is working on. Please stay tuned on the forums for more info.

12. tcz8

tcz8

@ryanc-unity allright I'll take another look at the forums

In the mean time I would like to know if Collaborate v2.0.0-preview-17 is considered stable enough for day to day use or if I should stay away from it until an official release.

Also, are there detailed instructions on upgrading a project to the preview version of Collab? Maybe there is something we missed...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  13. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Collaborate v2.0 is a preview package that offers an alternative for teams with larger projects to avoid the limitations of Collaborate v1.2.16. While v2.0 is a stable package it is not the version of Collaborate that our team is happy with, particularly with its poor error handling and difficulty of adding new features. All of these issues will be addressed in the newest version of Collaborate.

Expect to hear more details about this new version close to the end of this month.

14. tcz8

tcz8

"Expect to hear more details about this new version close to the end of this month" :)

We will be waiting impatiently.

15. Daniel4

Daniel4

Hi,

We seem to be getting this issue as well. However it's only happening on one pc. I updated collab on my pc and sent the collab to update to my coworker. My side works fine as far as I can tell but my coworker is unable to scan his files as it keeps throwing an out of memory error. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

16. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

17. TheGamery

TheGamery

7 months later and still broken...looks like I am going to have consider moving to GitHub/Plastic SCM. :mad: