Search Unity

Coherent UI - HTML5-based User Interface middleware

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by stoyannk, Oct 30, 2012.

1. unclebob301

unclebob301

Thanks again for such a speedy response.

I have spent hours rejigging and checking my code and its a relief to know I was not going mad!

So the Page property when called in a script attached to the camera and coherentuiview component will simply yield the initial state of the scene/guiview.

I call the Page property via a gui button in a script as part of the return to the scene view after I have browsed several pages, so what would consititute an update in that situation?

Cheers

2. SVowel

SVowel

Some license questions:
    Can I buy a Mobile License, and upgrade it further on? (paying the diference).
    What is the limit of 2 views in the Basic License?
    With is the diference in Standard and Pro license?

Thank you!

3. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

You are right that CoherentUIView.Page gives the initial address. You can watch for changes of the address using the FinishLoad event.
    Here is a sample component that implement this:

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class CurrentPage : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public string URL { get; private set; }
    7.     // Use this for initialization
    8.     void Start () {
    9.         var view = GetComponent<CoherentUIView>();
    10.         view.Listener.FinishLoad += Listener_FinishLoad;
    11.     }
    13.     void Listener_FinishLoad(int frameId, string validatedPath, bool isMainFrame, int statusCode, Coherent.UI.HTTPHeader[] headers)
    14.     {
    15.         if (isMainFrame)
    16.         {
    17.             URL = validatedPath;
    18.             Debug.Log("Changed view to:" + validatedPath);
    19.         }
    20.     }
    21. }
    You can check the differences between the license options in our website - http://coherent-labs.com/buy-unity3d/ . If have any additional questions about licensing please contact our sales team at sales@coherent-labs.com

4. facepunch

facepunch

Went to try this today, and it wouldn't work. It was complaining that the native dll was missing. I moved it from the Plugins folder to the main folder - and it got past that and seemed to work.. but it came up with an error about a surface not being available?

Windows 8/Unity Pro/Targeting Windows

5. Holon777

Holon777

Is there a way to send a tap event to a javascript textedit control so that the virtual keyboard will show on mobile as soon as we show the page and the user is not forced to tap the edit field to get the keyboard to show?

6. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Hi facepunch,

There is no need to move any files. To use Coherent UI for Unity just:

1. Create or open a Unity project
    2. Double click on the coherent ui unity package that you received to import it
    3. Add Coherent UI view to the camera

If this doesn't work for you please send a ticket to our support at support@coherent-labs.com with your Coherent UI version, type of licence, short description of your case along with any information that you find relevant.

7. facepunch

facepunch

Heya - just checking the performance. It doesn't seem to cope very well with vsync disabled.

NO VSYNC: http://files.facepunch.com/garry/2014/May/24/1400933564.mp4

With VSYNC on, it performs quite smoothly..

VSYNC: http://files.facepunch.com/garry/2014/May/24/1400933670.mp4

But obviously forcing vsync on people isn't an option.

VSYNC off and On Demand is best, input responsibleness is perfect.. but it spikes the GPU time from 0.7ms to 7ms+

On Demand: http://files.facepunch.com/garry/2014/May/24/1400933819.mp4

Is everyone else running into this? How did you solve it?

Here's the profiler:

http://files.facepunch.com/garry/2014/May/24/1400936045.png

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  8. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Although we've already discussed this with facepunch though our support system I'll post a reply in case somebody else has questions about vsync.

Essentially the rendering performance depends on the game, the web pages that are rendered and the hardware used. Depending on your project there are 3 possible solutions:

Keep the game VSynced. A lot of games prefer this solution as it also makes sure that gamers on laptops conserve battery life. I understand that some users may not like that option.

Use on-demand views. In this case the game loop will have to synchronize and wait for the UI frame to complete, and this has much higher impact than minimal interference by the async architecture. That leads to lower FPS of the game itself. But in many cases the game continues to run with over 100 FPS.

In the case when the game is not VSynced, usually the main process is heavily GPU-bound, which means that there are CPU cycles to spare. You can set the Coherent UI Views to use software rendering. This will conserve GPU time and balance with CPU tasks. Coherent UI's CPU renderer is very fast and can improve the situation.

9. SeanPollman

SeanPollman

I was using CoUI and was not having any problems, but today when I open unity to start working I am getting this error.

Code (csharp):
    2. DllNotFoundException: CoherentUI_Native
    3. Coherent.UI.CoherentUI_NativePINVOKE+SWIGExceptionHelper..cctor () (at /Users/coherent/Desktop/PandoStatic/Pando/Coherent/UI/DotNET/swig/CoherentUI_NativePINVOKE.cs:106)
    4. Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for SWIGExceptionHelper
    5. Coherent.UI.CoherentUI_NativePINVOKE..cctor () (at /Users/coherent/Desktop/PandoStatic/Pando/Coherent/UI/DotNET/swig/CoherentUI_NativePINVOKE.cs:126)
    6. Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for Coherent.UI.CoherentUI_NativePINVOKE
    7. Coherent.UI.MouseEventData..ctor () (at /Users/coherent/Desktop/PandoStatic/Pando/Coherent/UI/DotNET/swig/MouseEventData.cs:44)
    8. CoherentUISystem..ctor ()
    9. UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(String)
    10. CoherentUISystem:Create() (at Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/CoherentUI/CoherentUISystem.cs:240)
    11. CoherentUISystem:get_Instance() (at Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/CoherentUI/CoherentUISystem.cs:41)
    12. CoherentUIView:Awake() (at Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/CoherentUI/CoherentUIView.cs:901)
    I checked and CoherentUI_Native.dll is still in the plugins folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Hi Sean,

Do you have other plugins in your project? If you have plugins that created plaftorm specific folders such as Assets/Plugins/x86/ or Assets/Plugins/x86_64/ that might be the problem. If platform specific subfolders are present, the Unity editor ignores the root plugins folder where the Coherent UI plugin is imported. To solve this just copy the CoherentUI_Native.dll to the platform specific folders.

Another possible explanation is that files that the Coherent UI dll is dependant on are missing. You can use some tool like Dependency Walker on CoherentUI_Native.dll to check which DLL is missing.

11. SeanPollman

SeanPollman

That was it, thank you!

12. DrShimizu

DrShimizu

Is there a way of getting current history of a browser resource download "activity" similar to download activity in safari or chrome's "Developer Tools"->Network

In chrome you can export as json formatted HTTP archive aka "HAR" which has all sorts of good info in it.

It would be nice to be able to distinguish between resources on the current page and resources that have been loaded in the past but either or would be very useful.

https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/devtools_network

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  13. DrShimizu

DrShimizu

Also I would like to share this snippet of code for anyone who uses COUI on a camera that is not covering the entire viewport.

Inside CalculateScaledMouseCoordinates in the file CoherentUISystem.cs

Replace the entire function code with:

Vector3 v = view.gameObject.camera.ScreenToViewportPoint(Input.mousePosition);
    data.X = (int)(v.x *view.gameObject.camera.pixelWidth);
    data.Y = (int)((1.0f-v.y) *view.gameObject.camera.pixelHeight);

14. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Hi Clement_Shimizu,

You can use the Coherent UI debugger in a similar way by selecting its "Network" tab. The export to "HAR" is not yet supported but you can use Ctrl + c and Ctrl + v to copy and paste the data in the window.

DrShimizu likes this.
  15. agriffin

agriffin

How can I override the material/shader used for the UIView on a camera?

16. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Hi agriffin,

Coherent UI uses the shader set in the "shader" variable in the ViewListener.cs file. By default this is either "DiffuseIgnoreZ" or "TransparentDiffuseIgnoreZ". Both shaders are included with the Coherent UI package. You can either modify them or use our own.

17. mindlube

mindlube

I have been enjoying using CU. I have definitely found a few bugs. But coherent labs technical support is very good. Question: can anyone give me an example of a game or app in iOS App Store which uses Coherent UI ? That would put me at ease. I don't want to be the guinea pig who first gets rejected for App submission.

18. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Hi mindlube,

Thanks for the nice words. There are dozens of games that are using Coherent UI in IOS App Store so you should not really worry about Coherent UI causing your application to be rejected. Coherent UI is App Store policy compliant. I cannot give you an exact example because we don't want to disclose information about our customers without their permission.

We plan to prepare a sample with Coherent UI and submit it very soon to the IOS App Store as a proof that there are no issues.

19. orca6

orca6

Apologies in advance if this is an already-answered question.

I take in an experience to build Windows stand-alone type of applications using coherent. And this is my first time to build iOS/Android applications.
    I got the runtime error message “Unable to find coui resources to be loaded!” on the error HTML page. According to the instructions which display the same error HTML page; 1)I did “Build”, 2)changed the executable file attribute in the folder “apktool1.5.2”, 3)selected the “uiresources” folder with “Select UI folder” menu, 4)and confirmed that my project worked in the preview mode.

The development environment is as follows.
    Unity4 : 4.5.0f6
    Coherent UI : Standard v1.8.3.1
    Platform : OSX 10.9.3 / Windows 8.1 (tried both but failed)

The problem appears that Android/iOS applications cannot find the resource folder.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

20. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Hi orca6,

It sounds like the post-build step did not finish successfully both for IOS and Android. Do you see any errors in the editor log?

Also for Android before trying building on Windows did you add the JDK bin folder to you path variable? Java Development Kit (JDK) is required for exporting to Android. Referring to the folder you installed JDK in as <JDK>, you need to have the <JDK>/bin folder in your PATH environment variable and set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to <JDK>.

Please also note that for Android there are two options for building the game

1. Export the project from Unity with the "google android project" checkbox from the build menu and run in eclipse

2. Use the "build" option in unity and install it manually on the device.

Have you tried exporting you project to Eclipse? Do you see any errors there?

21. orca6

orca6

Hello, XpuctoK.

Thank you for your reply.

> It sounds like the post-build step did not finish successfully both for IOS and Android. Do you see any errors in the editor log?

Yes, I do. If I use signed keystroke, I got an error as follows. So I used unsigned (debug) keystroke.
    ==error==
    Win32Exception: ApplicationName='jarsigner', CommandLine='-sigalg MD5withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore "C:/Users/kitazawa/Documents/iamhere/test1/user.keystore" -storepass orca0393 -keypass orca0393 "C:/Users/kitazawa/Documents/iamhere/test1/Assets\../Temp/CouiApkRepack\dist\test1.apk" orca production, inc.', CurrentDirectory='C:\Users\kitazawa\Documents\iamhere\test1'
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_noshell (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process)
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_common (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process)
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start ()
    (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Diagnostics.Process:Start ()
    AndroidPostProcessor.StartProcess (System.String processName, System.String args) (at Assets/CoherentUI/Editor/CoherentUI/AndroidPostProcessor.cs:179)
    AndroidPostProcessor.RepackAPK (System.String pathToApk, System.String unpackedDir) (at Assets/CoherentUI/Editor/CoherentUI/AndroidPostProcessor.cs:324)
    CoherentPostProcessor.OnPostprocessBuild (BuildTarget target, System.String pathToBuiltProject) (at Assets/CoherentUI/Editor/CoherentUI/CoherentPostProcessor.cs:361)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()
    ==end of error==

> Also for Android before trying building on Windows did you add the JDK bin folder to you path variable? Java Development Kit (JDK) is required for exporting to Android. Referring to the folder you installed JDK in as <JDK>, you need to have the <JDK>/bin folder in your PATH environment variable and set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to <JDK>.

Yes, I confirmed all the environment variables. (PATH, JAVA_HOME, ANDROID_HOME)

> 1. Export the project from Unity with the "google android project" checkbox from the build menu and run in eclipse

Yes, I tried to export eclipse project, and had no errors. However, I see the same symptom “Unable to find coui resources to be loaded!” unfortunately.

> 2. Use the "build" option in unity and install it manually on the device.

Yes, I did. The result is same as “Unable to find coui resources to be loaded!”.

When I build on the Windows environment, ZIP packaging didn't work well. So the file size was over 200MB.
    As far as I tried to build simple project without Coherent UI, I could run the project for Android with no problem.

Still I missing something...

Thanks.

22. orca6

orca6

Hello:

Finally, I found the reason...
    I specified the URL as follows.
    coui://UIResources/MenuAndHUD/loading/loading.html"

But, my folder name of "UIResources" was "uiresources" (all characters were in lower case.).
    So, I changed the folder name as "UIResources", then I can fix the problem.

Thanks!

23. Domino-Studios

Domino-Studios

Hello,

I am very interested by CoUI and I have a few questions about compatibilities :

1 - any known issue with angular.js ?
    2 - any known issue with polymer.js ?
    3 - any known issue with famo.us (I am not sure but I had the impression of seeing the table of elements demo in a video) ?
    4 - I saw a lot of posts about performance issue. Is there a FAQ or guide lines to clear the question anywhere ?
    5- can I code with CoUI 1.x and update to 2.0 when ready ?

Thx,

24. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Hi Domino-Studios,

1,2,3 - there are no known issues with JavaScript libraries in general.
    4. - The performance depends on many factors such as target platform, hardware used and complexity of the web pages. Coherent UI is high performance UI system and it's streamlined to provide the best performance possible. To make sure that Coherent UI meets the needs of your project just request a trial version and try it - http://coherent-labs.com/download-unity3d/ if you haven't already done so.
    5 - Mobile support for Coherent UI 2.0 is expected Q4 2014 and it's far from finalized so I cannot tell you if or how it will differ from Coherent UI 1.

25. DrShimizu

DrShimizu

I'm noticing an error in my build error logs. It looks like for some reason the path to the dlls are getting concatenated twice. The plugin works, but sometimes it crashes on exit.

Fallback handler could not load library C:/PATH/APPNAME_Data/Mono/.\C:/PATH/APPNAME_Data/Plugins/CoherentUI64_Native.dll
    Fallback handler could not load library C:/PATH/APPNAME_Data/Mono/.\C:/PATH/APPNAME_Data/Plugins/CoherentUI64_Native
    Fallback handler could not load library C:/PATH/APPNAME_Data/Mono/libC:/PATH/APPNAME_Data/Plugins/CoherentUI64_Native.dll
    Fallback handler could not load library C:/PATH/APPNAME_Data/Mono/.\libC:/PATH/APPNAME_Data/Plugins/CoherentUI64_Native.dll
    Fallback handler could not load library C:/PATH/APPNAME_Data/Mono/libC:/PATH/APPNAME_Data/Plugins/CoherentUI64_Native.dll

im running windows 64 bit, but i am build windows standalone x86 / 32 bit build.

26. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Hi Clement_Shimizu,

It is safe to ignore those messages. The Coherent UI unity package includes 64-bit binaries for all platforms. The warning messages are generated on start of the application because the Unity 3D editor is 32-bit itself and cannot load 64-bit binaries.

Crashes of course are not OK. If this happens again please send your editor log, versions of Unity and Coherent UI, information about your setup and how to reproduce to our support team at support@coherent-labs.com

27. nav_bcn

nav_bcn

Hello, we're in the early stage of evaluating how to merge in a single business app several features: client's interactive floorplans (Unity3D), plus Wordpress based online magazine. Presenting in a single solution navigables 3d areas and browsable news without having an additional backend for the contents/news updates. WP will function an unique backend. Any suggestion? ... :) Just fantasies or it could be done?

28. Zyxil

Zyxil

Hey, I'd like some clarification about the platforms on the Basic plugin. Platforms supported are inconsistent on the Asset Store page (http://u3d.as/content/coherent-labs/coherent-ui-basic/4DK). I believe Windows and OSX are supported but the text is unclear.

http://imgur.com/CrQndEY

Is there a comparison grid for the Unity Asset Store plugins like there is on the COUI site for the direct purchase options?

29. AnchoV

AnchoV

Hey guys,

In order to improve our service we decided to remove Coherent UI from Unity Asset Store and continue to provide the product only through our website. We need constant feedback to improve Coherent UI, so we need to have open communication channels with our customers. Unfortunately as a vendor on the Asset Store we receive only aggregate sales information and cannot proactively reach out and help our customers and provide them with relevant information.

Please read the details in our blog post announcement.

The change will probably take place in couple of days, and I wanted to let you know in advance, in case you'd like to backup the asset package from the asset store. Of course if you need to do so in the future, you can always ask us for an older release either on our download page or directly by contacting me.

Our clients will continue to receive their updates with fixes and optimizations. The notifications of new releases will come from us, instead of the asset store. To sign up for these new releases, please send me an e-mail to acho at coherent-labs.com with your relevant information (name, e-mail and invoice number).

Thank you very much for your support!

30. Zyxil

Zyxil

While increasing price and adding restrictions.

31. AnchoV

AnchoV

Hi Zyxil,

What is specifically bothering you in the licensing terms?

Coherent UI 1.x was sold with a developer per seat license (so it can be used by a single developer) as you can recall from the Unity Asset Store description page and its cost was $350/developer. The analogous 2.x subscription is much cheaper, especially for teams. We got a feedback from many customers that they would prefer a license that is spread over time and the number of team members.

I would love to hear your opinion and discuss it in details. Please write me an e-mail at acho@coherent-labs.com so I can further assist you.

Thanks

32. Zyxil

Zyxil

Sorry for the snark. I have been contemplating purchasing the Basic Asset for $150, hence my question above asking for clarification about a simple matter. Now the cheap option is $129 per year, per product (including some strange pricing restrictions) instead of a one time, no strings purchase.

As a hobbyist, I can't justify recurring costs.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    p87 likes this.
  33. p87

p87

Just stumbled upon this asset... Well, ex-asset. Highly disappointed it is no longer available on the asset store. Recurring cost sucks.

In a web developer though, and the new unity UI leaves a lot to be desired... So I may still try this out. HTML/CSS/JS would kill all this jokester unity GUI stuff.

How big of a signature does this add to a build? (File size)

34. p87

p87

Indie Licensing is absolutely ridiculous, lol. Limits on free to play item cost? Really? How are you in a position to dictate what game developers charge for free to play items?

Sorry, your product looks awesome, but you guys sound like Nazis.

35. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Hi philwinkel,

Actually we are currently in the process of revising our Indie licensing restrictions. The new ones should be available in the beginning of next week.

Regarding the file size it really depends on your target platform. For example for Windows is about 50 mb.

36. p87

p87

Is there anywhere that lists how much file size it adds across all the platforms? How much does it add on android and ios?

37. elpuerco63

elpuerco63

Is the tutorial on the first page still relevant as although I import the Coherent UI from the import option from Asset Store I see no CoherentUIView in drag onto the cube? Can you direct me to a more up to date tutorial please?

38. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Hi elpuerco63,

I would recommend you that have a look at the samples that come with Coherent UI. They are described in detail in the Unity 3D guide document in the documentation folder.

Basically to add a Coherent UI view to a game object:

1. double click on the Coherent UI package and import it in your Unity project
    2. select the gameobject that you want to add Coherent UI (for example MainCamera)
    3. In the inpector click "add" and select Coherent UI view

I would also recommend you that you visit our forum - https://forums.coherent-labs.com/ where you can find a lot of additional information and samples.

39. kfc

kfc

I’ve made a purchase of Coherent UI 1.x in Unity Asset Store earlier this year.
    However, I have encountered an issue with unity3d 4.5 support for IOS8 (xcode) export with version 1.8.1.0.
    https://forums.coherent-labs.com/index.php/topic,374.msg1125.html#msg1125

However, when I tried to update my asset from asset store. It appears that Coherent UI has been pulled from asset store. Can you provide me a download link for version 1.8.5.0? I have sent an email to sales@coherent-labs.com with my invoice number.

I need this for our project urgently.

Thank you.

40. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Hi guys,

We've already discussed kfc's question in our forum and with our sales team. However if somebody else has purchased Coherent UI through the Unity asset store and doesn't know how to get updates please check this post from AnchoV in this topic or this post in our blogpost.

41. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Anyone have performance info about Coherent UI 2.x performance vs nGui/uGui? Especially in a pretty heavy interface scenario (inventory, stat screens, drag and drop, radials, etc).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  42. XpuctoK

XpuctoK

Hi Fuzzy_Slippers,

Here's a quick comparison in a simple sample scene:

As you can see Coherent UI is considerably faster in this test even though it actually renders more UI elements. We are currently preparing a blog post with more details, test scenarios and project files. I'll update this topic as soon as the blog post is available.

Furthermore the Coherent GT plugin that has even faster rendering performance should be available soon for Unity 3D!.

43. billy_co

billy_co

Hey guys,

I'm Billy- a community manager in Coherent Labs.

We are working on a version of Coherent UI 1.x Mobile for Unity which will include an iOS 64-bit support. It will be released by the end of the month so that you will be in line with Apple's requirements of 64-bit support for new apps.

So no worries, we've got your back! For more info. follow our forum post where I will give you updates: https://forums.coherent-labs.com/index.php/topic,748.0.html

44. billy_co

billy_co

Hey guys,

Our latest version of Coherent UI for Mobile with a 64-bit support for iOS is out. It is available only for our current mobile clients. You will get it via email.

45. billy_co

billy_co

Hey all,

I want to announce one major development in Coherent Labs product line for Unity3D. Today we are releasing the closed beta of Coherent UI GT for Unity3D.

What is Coherent UI GT?

Coherent UI GT is a high-performance lightweight HTML renderer, complementary to the browser features in Coherent UI. It enables development teams to achieve better results faster than before, both, on PC and next-generation consoles. Find out more about GT’s architecture here:

How can you try it out?

At the moment, as I said, we are at closed beta, so GT for Unity3D will be available for testing by our current clients. After we move to public beta you will be able to get GT in a bundle with Coherent UI 2.x for all Studio licenses.
    Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    zyzyx likes this.
  46. p87

p87

It's cool you made an indie licensing model for Coherent UI, pricing is reasonable, but...

"Coherent UI pop-up is displayed on launch"

Are you guys serious?

*sigh*

47. fanjules

fanjules

Wow. I paid a couple of hundred for what I envisaged to be a lifetime license on the asset store, or at least for the version I paid for. I wonder where this stands now, as full licenses are thousands $$$$...

48. billy_co

billy_co

Hey phiwinkel,

Thank you for your feedback. We have put a lot of efforts in the development of our solution. We continue to invest a lot of time in R&D in order to be able to upgrade Coherent UI and offer better performance and a larger number of features to our community.

We have created the indie subscription license to support indie developers, like yourself, because we believe that indie developers create innovative, cool projects The Coherent UI pop-up on launch is one of the few small differences we have implemented compared to the Team and Studio licenses. I hope that Coherent UI will be useful for your project and will save you a lot of time and efforts.

Best,
    Billy

49. p87

p87

How does a splash screen in a game even make sense as an advertisement when your target market is game developers? Lol. You guys are horrible at marketing.

50. billy_co

billy_co

Hey,

I wanted to ask you, apart from the splash screen, how do you feel about Coherent UI? Could you share more about the project you have been working on?