Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

code

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by zicowo, Mar 20, 2021.

1. zicowo

zicowo

hello,
    I'm completely new to unity and am also still a noob when it comes to programing, anyway what software should i use to write code?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I strongly prefer to write my Unity code using Script Inspector 3. But you can use any text editor you like.

zicowo likes this.
  3. kmo86

kmo86

I use visual studio.

Joe-Censored, zicowo and stain2319 like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'd recommend using VS unless you've found something which works better for you.

5. Schneider21

Schneider21

Visual Studio Code (not to be confused with the fuller-flavored Visual Studio) is a great lightweight editor for working with .NET projects, which includes Unity. And it's free, so that's nice.

My employer pays for a Rider license, which is the best IDE I've used so far. It ain't cheap, though, so I guess that's not right for a beginner starting out.

Script Inspector 3 is great, too, though again, not free. The one thing I could never get over with SI3 is that you can't do breakpoints for debugging with it (at least, you couldn't back when I was using it), so you end up needing another IDE for doing that, and I just end up staying with that other editor. If you're not into using breakpoints, though, SI3 is a great tool that will do everything you need.

JoeStrout likes this.
unityunity