Search Unity

Code not being run - (beginner!)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Govind-Krishna, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Govind-Krishna

Govind-Krishna

Hi all,

Been watching some tutorials and trying out this classic pong game and I stuck at this place where the ball is supposed to gain speed as it collides on the bat. However, the code isn't working (though there are no errors).

So what I have done is written the function to gain speed as the ball hits the bat and its after the update code block. The script is component of the Bat gameOBJ

I have declared a variable ballCollisionSpeed to be equal to 5.

Code (CSharp):
    1.   void onCollisionExit2D(Collision2D ballTouch)
    3.  {
    4.        ballTouch.rigidbody.velocity = new Vector2( ballTouch.rigidbody.velocity.x * 2.1f, ( ballTouch.rigidbody.velocity.y + ballCollisonSpeed) * Time.deltaTime);
    6. Debug.Log(ballTouch.rigidbody.velocity);      
    7. Debug.Log("COLLIDED");
    8. print("I have collided");
    9.     }

The ball not only slows down after gradually (opposite of what I want), but none of Debug.Log shows up on the console, nor does the print. I tried re-arranging the code, setting it up in the ball gameOBJ but nothing seems to work. It's as if the code is not being read at all. As I commented out the code and the game doesn't seem to be affected.

Thanks for help & regards.
    -G

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Capital O in OnCollision

3. asperatology

asperatology

Adding to this, all MonoBehaviour methods all start with capital letters.

4. Govind-Krishna

Govind-Krishna

I feel so dumb right now...

Thank you so much guys, that helped and it worked. I have been trying to figure it out from 2-3 hours.

TaleOf4Gamers likes this.