Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Code Formatting of C# field attributes

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Wenzil, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Wenzil

Wenzil

Hey all,

I'm trying to get rid of the annoying auto code formatting of C# attributes on my fields which puts a newline before the field name in the new MonoDevelop. Here's an example of what I mean:

Code (csharp):
    2. [Range(0, 100)]
    3. [SerializeField]
    4. private float
    5.     maxSpeed;
    I would like to remove the newline before the field name, like so:

Code (csharp):
    2. [Range(0, 100)]
    3. [SerializeField]
    4. private float maxSpeed;
    I have looked in Tools->Options->Code Formatting->C# source code. There doesn't seem to be an option to remove the newline. I know this doesn't happen in Xamarin Studio. I would like to keep code formatting enabled for everything else. Anyone can help? If not, unity devs, please consider adding the option!

jpthek9 likes this.
  2. mweldon

mweldon

The code formatting for the new version of Monodevelop doesn't work at all. You could have done this with the previous version, but now the only policies that work are the built-in ones, none of which do I find remotely usable.

3. Shinzironine

Shinzironine

I have the same problem. But otherwise the formatting works fine as opposed to Mweldons comment. You just have to configure the code formatting opions in Project -> Solution options.
    I have tried a lot of different options in code formatting of MonoDevelop, but nothings seems to work. It would be cool if anyone has the solution.

4. lazer

lazer

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  5. Callabrator88

Callabrator88

I'm definitely seeing the same problem on Mono 4.0.1. New lines after Attributes

6. noanoa

noanoa

How to fix it? This is so annoying -.-

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

October and still not fixed.

8. Dameon_

Dameon_

I've been using Visual Studio for my coding, and haven't looked back at Mono once.

landon912 likes this.
  9. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

@aaro4130 What's "Neither"? What's the "always on top bug"?

11. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

The always on top bug is the one in
    a) Unity 4.6 beta where the standalone player is stuck on top of other windows in windowed mode
    b) MonoDevelop IDE where it gets stuck on top of other windows and requires a restart.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh I understand what you're saying now.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

14. jpthek9

jpthek9

15. bvesco

bvesco

Seems no one will ever know how to fix this...

16. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

You can't- it's not about "knowing". It's a bug with Unity's MonoDevelop- it won't be fixed until the Unity devs fix it on their end. Until then, I suggest using Visual Studio with "VSTools For Unity", as it's what I consider the absolute best programming environment currently available.

17. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Have you tried running Visual Studio in Parallels on OSX? for the last 3 months I have been doing this at work and it is working pretty good. Even the debugger still attaches since that uses a udp port. Since parallels provides shortcuts to wndows apps in OSX i was even able to set my VS running in windows to be the default script editor for my instance unity running in OSX.

18. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

It was a year and a half ago- I would've called "necro" instead of politely responding before, but this is still an issue in the current version of Unity/Mono. This is likely the longest-lasting bug in Unity's history because, while annoying, it doesn't actually affect anything beyond aesthetics. *shrugs*

If nothing else, it pushes more people toward VS, and now that "VSTools for Unity" is owned by M$ and free, there's absolutely no reason not to switch over IMO.

19. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

For the most part the monodev hold overs seem to be mac users, where it is your only option unless you want to run a virtual machine for Visual Studio.

Its a pain in the ass at work since most of the office is running OSX, and i think im the only one with a parallels license, so im the only one able to use VS

20. TimmermanV

TimmermanV

This issue is now fixed according to the issue tracker. However, it is not the issue of the OP. I found that MonoDevelop is indeed still adding newlines before field names when using attributes.

Code (CSharp):
    1.         [Header("Debug Options")]
    2.         public bool overrideDefaults = false;
    still changes into this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         [Header("Debug Options")]
    2.         public bool
    3.             overrideDefaults = false;

21. lusas

lusas

Confirmed. Still facing exactly the same issue. It is very irritating. Hope VS Code is going to be a solution soon..