Search Unity

COD style of FPS shooting action

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by stefmen, Jan 30, 2012.

1. stefmen

stefmen

Hi,

I'm currently working on making some first person shooting action like in Call of Duty MW
    I just finished the gun model with a red dot on it and some of the script and animation so its time for a first shot

so take a shot guys and let me know what you think

to do:
    - Animations
    - Recoil
    - Particles
    - Arm
    - Red dod glass
    - Multiple skins like urban camo

Happy shooting! :)
    Link

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Looks like you have some good basics going on in this scene. The animations look good for starters too. It's rough playing without a reticle/weapon sights.

3. stefmen

stefmen

Thanks
    yeah animation was just so i could code it with the scoping.

4. Chimera3D

Chimera3D

Nice model you got there, keep up the good work!

5. stefmen

stefmen

After a long day of hard work here's a new build: Link
    happy shooting !! :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  6. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

Neat but I would work on making the system flawless first before working on graphics.

I think you missing : Recoil, Decals, Bullet offset, Reloading, Head Bob / Body Sway (Not just weapon going up and down on idle.)

I'm unsure on the muzzle flash at the moment It is too bright as if you are using a flash extender. Also muzzle flash does not happen every shot of the gun. When I made my system sometime last year that I lost I made it a random occurrence and within that random occurrence a different muzzle flash image would show.

It also seems the gun has a very high rate of fire. Maybe tone it down a little bit.

My 0.02c

Peace,

7. stefmen

stefmen

@Shallows thanks for your feedback!

8. stefmen

stefmen

[UPDATE]

Added reloading
    you now have 3 clips with a total of 60 bullits
    that all got animated in the gui

dont mind the reload animation btw thats a placeholder

Attached Files:

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

10. stefmen

stefmen

11. xalener

xalener

I really like what you have so far. I mean, it's all technically great. But I have an honest question.

Do we really need another COD clone? Do we really need another COD clone after the likes of Homefront and Medal of Honor and Crysis 2 have pretty much drained the formula dry?

12. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

Please do not say Medal of Honor as a "COD Clone" , without Medal of Honor there would be no COD.

Back on Topic : Nice new gui but keep working on the solid features you are missing in my previous post.

Peace,

13. stefmen

stefmen

@xalener we dont need a new big game in this scene and if we need it i would not be the one who will make that on my own thats just crazy and in now way realistic... but i wanna push my unity skills and look how close i can come to the big guys.

[UPDATE]

Added a animated UAV in the project and balanced the reloading and recoil.
    Enjoy the new build HERE and let me know what you think :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  14. stefmen

stefmen

[UPDATE]

The map now got bigger so you can see the UAV working better and i also added the funtions run and croush

so the new controls are:

WASD to walk
    C to croush
    Left Shift to run
    Mouse to look
    Right mouse click to zoom
    Left mouse click to fire

Enjoy the shooting

Attached Files:

15. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yeah there's 0% reason to try to clone the Modern Warfare series....it's been done top tier already and you'd have to create something that looked and functioned even better.Without a massive team I think would be darned near impossible. I like to think it's a better idea to make a visually unique FPS shooter...but don't even ask me what that means :)

16. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

Alright, The weapon Idle animation shouldn't play while he is walking, it doesn't look right. Just play it while he is idle, and just have a standard gun hold while he is moving. When he runs tuck it to his side make him one hand carry it or two hands.

Though before you continue seriously get the bullet spread and weapon recoil working. It will add a lot of weight/feel to the gun, as right now it feels really poorly.

Peace,

17. Kokumo

Kokumo

This is a really good job!
    You need to tweak some issues... but "awwwyeahhh!!" you did it wright!

18. TehWut

TehWut

Looks good so far!!

but yeah don't play idle animation while he is running.

I also think the biggest feature to implement next is recoil.

19. S.Dentatus

S.Dentatus

Very nice. Excellent. But the sensitivity of the mouse is too high.

20. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

That is more of a personal preference sorta thing in my opinion. I have a very high sensitivity mouse for when I game.

Peace,

21. SevenBits

SevenBits

I actually like that sensitivity he has set for this kind of thing, but my personal preference depends upon the number of enemies, etc. Basically it varies, but tends to still remain under a certain cap.

This game is very good. The lighting is close to excellent, scenery is cool and targets fit in very well. Only critique? The gun plays an idle animation when you're walking, and there are no gunshot noises.

Love to see where this plays. And please rename your project; unless you're planning to release a Unity tech demo, the name 'Unity Warfare' is just too plain, terse, and amateur.

22. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

I agree with both of your points.

I am unsure what the sensitivity is on a normal mouse for his game. I'm using a Gaming mouse with custom dpi so I can't really tell what the original is.

Peace,

23. stefmen

stefmen

Hi guys thanks for all the comments i looked at them all and made a new build go a head and check it out!
    Here

also i have desided to put this project up to the assetstore so everyone can make there own game out of it

ow yeah and btw i changed the name to project warfare

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  24. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

Still need that recoil and bullet offset.

It is a top priority before you asset store this.

Peace,

25. SevenBits

SevenBits

If you're going to put this on the Asset Store, then yes, you really ought to fix that stuff. No one wants to modify a package they just downloaded to add their own stuff b/c the creator left it out.

26. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

Replicate the Call of Duty system (as that seems to be your current goal) and it will be solid enough to sell. Keep that as you guide line. Maybe make a video of yourself standing still in cod hip fire and then iron sight and fire. Mimic the system. You will see that you are still missing a few things.

Peace,

27. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

No matter what key i press it plays an animation
    Which is weird...

28. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

Yeah it plays the moving animation. So maybe his code is something like if (button || another button || etc etc || etc){play animation} either that or he is making it not play the animation when no buttons are being pressed and when hes presses a button it plays the animation.

Fail code?

Peace,

29. EricTheCoolDude

EricTheCoolDude

The weapon is tilted way too much to the left. It would just shoot to the side.

30. SevenBits

SevenBits

The art itself is very good, but game-play is your priority. You need to fix the animation and add the recoil before you do anything.

Also, remember to have nice, commented code and an understandable hierarchy when you upload it to the Asset Store; people may be trying to learn from you, remember!

31. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I say no to recoil, but that's a personal preference.

32. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

All warfare fps games have recoil. If this was a tournament shooter (unreal, quake etc etc) I'd probably say no recoil but it's not.

Peace,

33. HolBol

HolBol

It's ok so far, but the crouch is broken.
    And recoil is a must.

34. stefmen

stefmen

Thanks you guys for all the comments

I worked on the animations and recoil so everything should be in there now.
    Also the the weird bugs when you pressed random buttons or that you could run while you where croushing are gone now.

Enjoy the new build

http://stefanmensen.nl/0_Dump/FPS.html

35. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

Recoil is not recoil....

Here is recoil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXWueNg4_FM

Look at Red Orchestras 2 Segment on the recoil bout half way through the video. Make it like that but not so much recoil. At the moment the recoil does not effect gun position at all.

You also need to do bullet offset. You can do this by offsetting the position of where the raycast is shot per each shot of the gun.

Keep Working on it, long way to go.

Peace,

36. stefmen

stefmen

@Shallows
    i see what you mean but thats just way to much for a fast shooting game like this so i chenged it the way you mean now but not that extreme about the bullit offset that simply will never come since this isnt some spray gun but a gn that shoots straight to the point where its pointed add...

that said the webplayer is updated so go check it out

37. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

I'm surprised no one has noticed it, when you right click to look through the scope, there is an animation of you raising your arms up, but when you let go of the right mouse button, the gun just snaps back into the other position without any animation.

38. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

I did state that not as much by saying "Make it like that but not so much recoil" so with not as much it is fine for a fast shooting game.

Right now what you have done is just move the camera up and down. You need the gun to show recoil while shooting via animation of script and make the camera look upwards a little bit. As shown in those videos. Emulate what is in the video. Right now your not.

Bullet offset is on all guns. No gun is 100% accurate. You only need a small bullet offset. No game has bullet offset dependant on distance and all have bullet offset (bar old shooters).

I'm trying to help, listen a bit more haha.

Peace,

39. stefmen

stefmen

@Shallows its a game and the bullit wil move to the ground when its got far away form the barrel like the bullit has real graffiti it isnt a straight raycast

40. doomprodigy

doomprodigy

I know it is a game I'm not stupid Lol. I am just trying to help you emulate Modern Style Combat found in BF3 and COD.

So your using prefabs and not raycast? Interesting. I would have used raycasts if you plan on selling this as a MW Clone have it setup to move to multiplayer easily. I find Instantiating on the network a bit harsh.

Grafiti? I'm assuming you mean gravity.

Peace,