Search Unity

CocoNuts - Top Dog Submission

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by GWPGearWorx, Sep 15, 2007.

1. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Hello fellow game devs;

I thought we would let you guys have a sneak peek at what David and I have been working on. First let me give you a little back story to this game.

We have been all over the indie game engine world, like most of you, before finding Unity as our home and engine of choice. We were more or less just messing around, getting a feel for the engine, then out of the blue the Top Dog contest was announced. We at this point, had no games in the works, however we wanted to enter the contest, even if it was to use the opportunity as learning experience, to get a deeper understanding on how Unity works.

So shortly after the contest was announced this two man team (David and myself), got to work on designing a simple entertaining kids game. We asked ourselves what do kids like. So Coco the gorilla was born, In his first adventure CocoNuts.

We have both been busy with our day jobs and so CocoNuts has had about 1 hours worth of work done in the evenings, and a couple hours on the weekends. So needless to say CocoNuts is a very young game, that still needs some spit and polish. However with that said, we are both very happy at how this game is coming together in such a short time span, all thanks to Unity ands its intuitive tools.

So without further ado, I will stop the blabbering and get down to the meat and potatoes of this post.... The media ;)

YouTube Gameplay Video:

Click here to watch: CocoNuts Gameplay Video

Screenshots:

If you would like to see more screen shots you can view them here: CocoNuts (Alpha Version) Screen Shots

Also a quick shout out to other contestants, I wish you all the best. Good luck and happy dev'in.

2. zoul

zoul

I'd like to add to what Steve said by simply stating that, this is the most fun I've had on a 'home project' in a long time --

As Steve mentioned, we've tried out lots of engines, and so far ... Unity has made this the most entertaining game project I've ever worked on, and ... the most productive and complete project too.

I'd also like to say Good Luck to the rest of the Contest Entrants ... and may the "Top DOG" Win!

3. drJones

drJones

very cool guys - nice to see a traditional platformer in the mix!

i know its a WIP but one crit if you don't mind - i'd nix that grey backround pronto - it kills the 'festive' feel of the rest of the screen. i'd maybe even use one of the built in skyboxes to nice effect (you could make it cartoony in photoshop to match the style).

good luck to you too ; )

4. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Hey DrJones;

Thanks :) Gotta have the old school platform game. it is a must.

As for the grey background it is a cliff side, he is climbing his way up. At the top are lush green rolling hills ;) hahahaha Also when the game reaches version 1.0 it's visuals will be slightly different than what you see here. More of an island style look and feel.

more on that soon.

Regards.

5. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Excellent!!! Unity-made stuff sure is taking off!

6. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Nice, and a little cartoonish. Showing that never hurts.

7. nickavv

nickavv

Woah! I want to play it! n_n It looks seriously awesome. Good work guys!

8. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

Hey guys,

I just added a youtube video, which show cases CocoNuts gameplay in its current stage. Please keep in mind this is an alpha version, and is subject to change.

YouTube Gameplay Video:

Click here to watch: CocoNuts Gameplay Video

Anyway thanks for reading and watching.

Regards.

9. kaaJ

kaaJ

Good work guys!

How did you capture the video and audio? Do you have sofware for that? I use copernicus, but it doesn't capture any sound...

Grtz,
    kaaJ

10. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

11. kaaJ

kaaJ

Thanks for the info man! Looks like a nice piece of software...

Grtz,
    kaaJ

12. jeffcraighead

jeffcraighead

I can vouch for the awesomeness of iShowU, I use it regularly for creating demos, tutorials, and even for submitting bug reports. Sometimes sending a video is the only way to show what you're talking about.

13. drJones

drJones

i really like how when you smash the ground the environment jumps slightly - its a very nice subtle effect.

thanks for the software linky too - been looking for something like that ; )

14. manuelflara

manuelflara

I apologise for the offtopic, but I used IShowU to make a video of the game and Quicktime on Windows doesn't play the video (but does the sound). I used Apple Intermediate Codec.

Any help on how can I convert it or something? Because I've seen all of the codecs IShowU uses are "Apple Something", and I'm afraid the same will happen with another one.

15. zoul

zoul

Make the version of QuickTime on the Windows machine is up-to-date ... there's no reason it would play in QuickTime for Mac and not on the Mac, so long as you used a standard QuickTime codec ... H.264 or MPEG-4 are fairly standard.

16. dacloo

dacloo

I like how you got the 2D look but with 3D perspective!