Search Unity

CocoaPods installation failure when building for iOS

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Brathnann, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Brathnann

Brathnann

I recently reset one of the work Macs and after pulling one of our repos and trying to do a build, I've been getting an error about cocoapods. The project contains Facebook, so I'm use to getting a workspace file, however because of the error, the workspace file is not generated. The console error is as follows.

I have been trying various things, but so far, nothing has helped. I appreciate any suggestions on solutions to the issue. Thank you.

Unity 2019.4.30
    Facebook SDK 11

iOS framework addition failed due to a CocoaPods installation failure. This will will likely result in an non-functional Xcode project.

After the failure, "pod repo update" was executed and succeeded. "pod install" was then attempted again, and still failed. This may be due to a broken CocoaPods installation. See: https://guides.cocoapods.org/using/troubleshooting.html for potential solutions.

pod install output:

[33mWARNING: CocoaPods requires your terminal to be using UTF-8 encoding.
    Consider adding the following to ~/.profile:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    [0m
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/unicode_normalize/normalize.rb:141:in `normalize': Unicode Normalization not appropriate for ASCII-8BIT (Encoding::CompatibilityError)
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/config.rb:166:in `unicode_normalize'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/config.rb:166:in `installation_root'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/config.rb:226:in `podfile_path'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/user_interface/error_report.rb:105:in `markdown_podfile'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/user_interface/error_report.rb:30:in `report'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/command.rb:66:in `report_error'
    from /Users/fscmac/.gem/ruby/2.6.0/gems/claide-1.0.3/lib/claide/command.rb:396:in `handle_exception'
    from /Users/fscmac/.gem/ruby/2.6.0/gems/claide-1.0.3/lib/claide/command.rb:337:in `rescue in run'
    from /Users/fscmac/.gem/ruby/2.6.0/gems/claide-1.0.3/lib/claide/command.rb:324:in `run'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/command.rb:52:in `run'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/bin/pod:55:in `<top (required)>'
    from /usr/local/bin/pod:23:in `load'
    from /usr/local/bin/pod:23:in `<main>'
    /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/unicode_normalize/normalize.rb:141:in `normalize': Unicode Normalization not appropriate for ASCII-8BIT (Encoding::CompatibilityError)
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/config.rb:166:in `unicode_normalize'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/config.rb:166:in `installation_root'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/config.rb:226:in `podfile_path'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/config.rb:205:in `podfile'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/command.rb:160:in `verify_podfile_exists!'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/command/install.rb:46:in `run'
    from /Users/fscmac/.gem/ruby/2.6.0/gems/claide-1.0.3/lib/claide/command.rb:334:in `run'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/lib/cocoapods/command.rb:52:in `run'
    from /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/cocoapods-1.11.0/bin/pod:55:in `<top (required)>'
    from /usr/local/bin/pod:23:in `load'
    from /usr/local/bin/pod:23:in `<main>'

pod repo update output:

Updating spec repo `cocoapods`
    Updating spec repo `master`

[33mWARNING: CocoaPods requires your terminal to be using UTF-8 encoding.
    Consider adding the following to ~/.profile:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    [0m

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
    Google.Logger:Log (string,Google.LogLevel) (at /Users/smiles/dev/src/unity-jar-resolver/source/VersionHandlerImpl/src/Logger.cs:127)
    Google.IOSResolver:Log (string,bool,Google.LogLevel) (at /Users/smiles/dev/src/unity-jar-resolver/source/IOSResolver/src/IOSResolver.cs:1007)
    Google.IOSResolver:OnPostProcessInstallPods (UnityEditor.BuildTarget,string) (at /Users/smiles/dev/src/unity-jar-resolver/source/IOSResolver/src/IOSResolver.cs:2331)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:197)

2. cratica

cratica

I am getting exact thing in my project. Just installed Facebook SDK yesterday and get this error. I too have tried many things but nothing has resolved it. Spent countless hours on this so hoping someone has an answer. I just posted this about 30 minutes ago in same forum. When I find a solution I will update my thread. GL

3. Brathnann

Brathnann

Thanks. I haven't found a working solution. The project builds fine on another mac and I wonder if it's maybe using an older version of cocoapods, and maybe that helps it work. Only thing I can think of since the mac it's not working on was wiped and factory reset.

4. cratica

cratica

Hmmm, my mac has all the latest of everything too and its not building. What version of what needs to be reverted to what version for it to play nice who knows. I really wish all these version incompatibility issues would go away as these types of problems are the only thing that slows our development down. Maddening.

5. Brathnann

Brathnann

I agree. I don't know why this would break on a fresh mac setup. Luckily we have a few other macs at work, but if I were doing this at home with one mac, I'd be in trouble. I still don't have a solution. I've been trying to compare the old mac with the wiped mac to see what is different. So far, no luck.

Edit: The wiped mac was updated to 11.5.2 Big Sur.
    The other two macs are on 11.4 still. Not sure if that is relevant.

6. cratica

cratica

So I got it to build without the pod error by deselecting "use shell to execute cocoapod tool" but then I get the "can't find FBSDKCoreKitImport.h"

I now just tried creating a brand new project in Unity's recommended version, installing only the latest FB SDK package, setting it up with my app ID and using their sample code to get just the id and username. Built it in Unity. Tried building it in Xcode and still get an immediate error "'FBSDKCoreKitImport.h' file not found. Even though this header file is found in the Pods directory of the build. Hate this stuff. :(

shoopi likes this.
  7. pavelparatov

pavelparatov

same issue for us as well, no solution is found so far;
    Unity, help!

8. Vladnee

Vladnee

It looks like this is a Unity bug: somehow it can't run the pod install command correctly.
    But there is a solution, you can install the pods manually!
    1. Right-click on the folder with the assembled build and click the "New Terminal at Folder" there
    upload_2021-9-13_14-53-25.png

2. It will open Terminal, write "pod update" and hit enter. As a result Unity-iPhone.xcworkspace should appear in the folder
    upload_2021-9-13_15-4-12.png

3. Open in Xcode and enjoy the build!)
    upload_2021-9-13_15-2-12.png

PS: Additionally, I encountered a problem with the latest Facebook SDK. Dependencies with version 11.0 are not collected in xcode. To fix this, change their version to 11.1.0
    https://github.com/facebook/facebook-sdk-for-unity/issues/578#issuecomment-915959975
    upload_2021-9-13_15-2-32.png

9. Brathnann

Brathnann

Yeah, I can run it manually, but that didn't fix the FB problem. I'll try the Facebook fix you listed though.
    What doesn't make sense is why it works on other macs and just not the freshly restored mac. This bug really needs to be fixed.

Thanks for the info!

10. pKallv

pKallv

I have the same problem, we really need a fix for this.

jbartelt likes this.
  11. fcayecr

fcayecr

Thanks a lot !
    I struggled quite a bit with this problem and tried different solutions, but this actually solved it for me.

Vladnee and pKallv like this.
  12. oleg_batura_tg

oleg_batura_tg

If anyone else is struggling with this error, I found a solution.
    Check the version of cocoapods installed on your machine. This can be done with a terminal command
    pod --version
    . If version is 1.11.*, which was released in september (https://github.com/CocoaPods/CocoaPods/releases) and probably not compatible with Unity 2019, you should downgrade it to the latest 1.10.* stable version. Just run commands
    sudo gem uninstall cocoapods
    and
    sudo gem install cocoapods -v 1.10.2
    Hope it helps :)

CzlLebleu, IvanLopezJ, MaceB and 33 others like this.
  13. AntoinePeryKasza

AntoinePeryKasza

Thank you so much, I struggled all day on this error and that fixed it !! I hate Cocoapods so much...

erdalt likes this.
  14. Brathnann

Brathnann

+1 appears to have fixed it for us also. Thanks! Feels like something so simple and makes sense why the other macs still work as they are probably still using the older cocoapods.

15. krisventure

krisventure

This solved it for me too.

16. NatsuD_123

NatsuD_123

thanks. it helped

17. abhijeet1001

abhijeet1001

Life saver, thanks

18. mahmoud93p

mahmoud93p

Thank you for help, that is work

19. aitouaddi

aitouaddi

thank you for help, this it's work for me

20. PhysicsBody

PhysicsBody

Uninstalling cocoapods on my mac to 1.10.2 resolved the issue.

I am wondering if there is a compatibility matrix for Unity and Cocoapods available online?

shoopi likes this.
  21. djooryabi

djooryabi

Thanks, this fixed the error message in Unity 2020.3.19f1.

22. prawinbhagat2022

prawinbhagat2022

I tried the above solution, but I am still getting the errors while building unity ios build in Xcode...

I am using Unity version 2019.4.27f1
    I am using firebase sdk version 8.4.0
    facebook sdk version 9.0.0
    and Admob sdk version 5.0.0

I am not able to generate workspace file with ios Build in Unity.
    I tried following command on mac through terminal to create workspace file
    pod install

But it is also getting following error...

[!] CocoaPods could not find compatible versions for pod "FirebaseCore":
    In Podfile:
    Firebase/Auth (= 8.8.0) was resolved to 8.8.0, which depends on
    Firebase/CoreOnly (= 8.8.0) was resolved to 8.8.0, which depends on
    FirebaseCore (= 8.8.0)

Firebase/Auth (= 8.8.0) was resolved to 8.8.0, which depends on
    FirebaseAuth (~> 8.8.0) was resolved to 8.8.0, which depends on
    FirebaseCore (~> 8.0)

CocoaPods could not find compatible versions for pod "GoogleAppMeasurement":
    In Podfile:
    Firebase/Core (= 8.8.0) was resolved to 8.8.0, which depends on
    FirebaseAnalytics (~> 8.8.0) was resolved to 8.8.0, which depends on
    FirebaseAnalytics/AdIdSupport (= 8.8.0) was resolved to 8.8.0, which depends on
    GoogleAppMeasurement (= 8.8.0)

Google-Mobile-Ads-SDK (~> 7.53) was resolved to 7.67.0, which depends on
    GoogleAppMeasurement (~> 6.0)

Could you please help me in this...

23. egorovsa2

egorovsa2

Yes Bro! 5 hours later with you I resolved this f... ussue) THX!

24. pashok77007

pashok77007

I'm using a VMware virtual machine for macOS Monterey.
    So far, I have not been able to solve the problem in this way either. Now I will try to install other versions of cocoapods....
    Have you solved the problem?

25. prawinbhagat2022

prawinbhagat2022

Yes, issue got solved. I am using Admob Ads in the project. Earlier, I was using older version of Admob Ads. Later, I installed newer Admob version and uninstalled older admob version. The error of cocoapods was coming due to some files of older admob ads. After I deleted those files, the cocoapods error was eliminated.

26. Jay_Sobreiro

Jay_Sobreiro

You, sir, deserve a medal!
    You just saved me (I'm using Unity 2019.4.18f1)!
    Thank you very much!

27. ritesh_khokhani

ritesh_khokhani

It worked for me, thanks for saving my time.

28. Ryan900

Ryan900

Holy S***, this worked! Two hours of fighting with this; thank you.

pashok77007 likes this.
  29. BraveSquire

BraveSquire

You, my friend, made it onto my list of cool people.
    I was trying to fix my CI build for nearly two days now, thank you so much!

30. MJBIOR

MJBIOR

I was also having an issue and the following worked for me. When I uninstalled cocoapods and tried to reinstall, it kept generating an error. The following worked and resulted in the workspace file generation for me.

-Uninstall cocoapods: sudo gem uninstall cocoapods

-Upgrade ruby to 3.0.0
    1. curl -sSL https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable
    2. close and reopen terminal
    3. rvm install ruby@latest
    4. rvm use ruby-3.0.0 --default
    - Reinstall cocoapods: sudo gem install cocoapods

Hope this helps someone else.

31. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

I am using Unity 2021.3.9f1. This issue still exists... Manually installing Pod works, but I have to turn off the "Use Shell to Execute Cocoapod Tool" option in the External Dependency Manager. This way, building from Unity works like a charm.

Attached Files:

shoopi likes this.
  32. virgilcwyile

virgilcwyile

For Unity 2021.3.9f1 I had to install latest cocoa pods using this command
    Code (CSharp):
    1. sudo gem install cocoapods -n /usr/local/bin
    Else it would always give error. And also turn off the "Use Shell to Execute Cocoapod Tool" option in the External Dependency Manager.

hexdecc likes this.
  33. patrickreece

patrickreece

My solution (that works with Unity 2019) is:

Don’t try to modify the system ruby. This causes more problems than it solves.
    Don’t try to install other versions of ruby for Unity to use. It seems to only use the system version.
    Don’t use any ruby managers like rbenv, chruby, brew, ruby-install, asdf, either by themselves or to install cocoapods.

For me, when installing cocoapods, I had to first switch xcode versions from my version of xcode (xcode-beta 13), to the command line tools, which use a different version of ruby.
    I ran

Code (CSharp):
    1. sudo xcode-select --switch /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools
    2. sudo gem install cocoapods
    3. sudo arch -x86_64 gem install cocoapods
    4. sudo xcode-select --switch /Applications/Xcode-beta.app
    to switch to cmd line tools ruby, install cocoapods on both the arm and x86 architectures, and switch xcode back to the normal place, so Unity can use it to create the xcworkspace file.

Please let me know if this is a bad idea!

ilmario likes this.
  34. VentaGames

VentaGames

35. tpaslou

tpaslou

I have the same problem and none of the above worked

Analyzing dependencies
    [!] CocoaPods could not find compatible versions for pod "Firebase/Analytics":
    In Podfile:
    Firebase/Analytics (= 9.6.0)
    None of your spec sources contain a spec satisfying the dependency: `Firebase/Analytics (= 9.6.0)`.

36. Baydogan

Baydogan

I was having issues with ffi wrong architecture. Found the solutions from this thread.

https://github.com/ffi/ffi/issues/864

Code (CSharp):
    1. gem install --user-install ffi -- --enable-libffi-alloc

vharutyunyan likes this.
  37. pandolfini

pandolfini

If you are on an M1 Mac the correct way to resolve this is to right click (option click) on your iOS project folder to which you just built, and choose "New Terminal at Folder." Then enter "arch -x86_64 pod install" in the command line. Everything should run / build fine now. The issue is Unity attempts to install pods for non-silicon Macs.

Arbury_Labs likes this.
  38. luciano_unity

luciano_unity

I got this issue when I upgraded only `Firebase/Analytics` and **not** the other firebase dependencies.

I had to upgrade all of my firebase dependencies together to get around it.

Also patrickreece's solution above with the xcode-select appears to work.

patrickreece likes this.
  39. prawn-star

prawn-star

So I'm having a very frustrating time trying to figure out why Unity is adding Firebase targets to the podfile.
    I have a project that no longer requires Firebase Dynamic Links or Firebase Database so I updated the project from 8.13.0 to 10.3.0. (Deleted all the firebase folders from the Unity project and then installed the ones I am still using from Import->Package Custom->Package
    Every time I build now the build fails as it's added these 8.13.0 targets back to the Podfile in the builds root folder . Ive tried deleting them from the Podfile and doing pod repo update then pod install and it still adds them back.
    It also adds them when I try to do a clean build to an empty folder

How do I tell Unity I don't want Dynamic Links or Database anymore?

Code (CSharp):
    1. source 'https://cdn.cocoapods.org/'
    3. platform :ios, '11.0'
    5. target 'UnityFramework' do
    6.   pod 'Firebase/Analytics', '10.3.0'
    7.   pod 'Firebase/Auth', '10.3.0'
    8.   pod 'Firebase/Core', '10.3.0'
    9.   pod 'Firebase/Crashlytics', '10.3.0'
    10.   pod 'Firebase/Database', '8.13.0'
    11.   pod 'Firebase/DynamicLinks', '8.13.0'
    12.   pod 'Firebase/Messaging', '10.3.0'
    13. end
    14. target 'Unity-iPhone' do
    15. end
    16. use_frameworks! :linkage => :static

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  40. Arbury_Labs

Arbury_Labs

I have this issue. I tried the M1 mac answer (after trying all the other suggestions .. thanks!) .

So I run arch -x86_64 pod install at the right location (builds folder).

The first error I get is this:

"[!] A dependency with an external source may not specify version requirements (Google-Mobile-Ads-SDK)."

Now, I can modify the podfile to remove google mobile ads (which I never wanted anyway).

Then running again produces this:

"
    [!] Unable to add a source with url `https://cocoapods.mycompany.com/Specs` named `mycompany`.
    You can try adding it manually in `/Users/matt/.cocoapods/repos` or via `pod repo add`."

I have no idea why it would be looking in what's clearly a default/template url "mycompany.com". So if anyone has come across that, lmk! I'll post any updates here.

Update: that's at the top of my podfile. No idea why. Will search for the correct specs url and replace it, fingers crossed.

Yep, the correct url is right beneath it. Now the command runs.

matt@matts-Air builds % arch -x86_64 pod install
    Analyzing dependencies
    Cloning spec repo `cocoapods` from `https://github.com/CocoaPods/Specs`

I re-opened XCode. This time it was able to attempt a build.

It still failed(!) But not due to the cocoapods issue :) Thanks to the M1 Mac answer above!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  41. Nocturnal_tendencies

Nocturnal_tendencies

Administrator

Posting on behalf of another user:

In case anyone stumbled on this problem from trying to make an iOS build on an M1 (Apple Silicon) macOS after integrating LevelPlay (IronSource, Ads Mediation).. I was able to resolve the problem by doing the below steps:
    1. Open terminal
    2. Type:
    gem list

3. In my case, the list that resulted had all this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. cocoapods (1.10.2)
    2. cocoapods-core (1.10.2)
    3. cocoapods-deintegrate (1.0.5)
    4. cocoapods-downloader (1.6.3)
    5. cocoapods-plugins (1.0.0)
    6. cocoapods-search (1.0.1)
    7. cocoapods-trunk (1.6.0)
    8. cocoapods-try (1.2.0)
    4. From that list, uninstall everything that references 'cocoapods'. Do this by typing the following for each 'cocoapods' reference you see:
    sudo gem uninstall cocoapods-core

5. Install homebrew.
    6. Update homebrew:
    brew upgrade

7. Using homebrew, install Ruby
    brew install rbenv ruby-build

8. Update ruby:
    rbenv install 3.2.0

9. Set the new ruby version to global:
    rbenv global 3.2.0

10. Restart your computer.
    11. Then reinstall cocoapods by entering:
    sudo arch -arm64 gem install -n /usr/local/bin cocoapods -v 1.10.2

12. Finish setup by typing
    pod setup

13. Restart the Unity Editor

42. francisIsFine

francisIsFine

To install homebrew on M1 macs, I followed this guide here: https://mac.install.guide/homebrew/index.html

- important: After running the install command, Homebrew will run installation and will end by showing you a set of instructions titled "Next steps". Make sure you finish the installation by doing what those instructions at the end tell you to do.

43. yone-haru

yone-haru

It's works for me! thanks a lot!

mzr likes this.
  44. Mortu

Mortu

edwardrowe likes this.
  45. aholla

aholla

I can confirm this looks like it is working in 2022.3. Also updating the pods file to 1.13.0 did not work, it seems like it has to be 1.10.2

However when I go to build my app in XCode, it fails and says if cant find the libraries. Im not sure is thi is a Facebook issue or something in my setup.

I get an error when the app loads:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. dyld[83827]: Library not loaded: @rpath/FBAEMKit.framework/FBAEMKit
    2.   Referenced from: <81B561ED-69F2-3E2D-BC07-B613266843EC> /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/E9E3A4CE-3591-4B11-86B6-9A92A0FC2A18/Test.app/Test
    3.   Reason: tried: '/private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/E9E3A4CE-3591-4B11-86B6-9A92A0FC2A18/Test.app/Frameworks/FBAEMKit.framework/FBAEMKit' (no such file), '/private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/E9E3A4CE-3591-4B11-86B6-9A92A0FC2A18/Test.app/Frameworks/FBAEMKit.framework/FBAEMKit' (no such file), '/private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/E9E3A4CE-3591-4B11-86B6-9A92A0FC2A18/Test.app/Frameworks/FBAEMKit.framework/FBAEMKit' (no such file), '/private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/E9E3A4CE-3591-4B11-86B6-9A92A0FC2A18/Test.app/Frameworks/FBAEMKit.framework/FBAEMKit' (no such file), '/private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/E9E3A4CE-3591-4B11-86B6-9A92A0FC2A18/Test.app/Frameworks/FBAEMKit.framework/FBAEMKit' (no such file), '/private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/E9E3A4CE-3591-4B11-86B6-9A92A0FC2A18/Test.app/Frameworks/FBAEMKit.framework/FBAEMKit' (no such file), '/System/Library/Frameworks/FBAEMKit.framework/FBAEMKit' (no such file, not in dyld cache)
    4. (lldb)
    To fix this i have to run
    Code (CSharp):
    1. pod update
    in the built folder.

Are there any plans to improve this integration?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
    chrismarch likes this.
  46. waldgeist

waldgeist

This was the only solution that did the trick for me. Thanks for sharing. I posted this into an issue at the Google Resolver, because I think it needs a more elegant solution than this workaround:

https://github.com/googlesamples/unity-jar-resolver/issues/654

47. chrismarch

chrismarch

I have the same situation. I have to run
    Code (CSharp):
    1. pod update
    in the built folder.
    Unity 2022.3.12f1, macOS 13.5, Xcode 14.3.1 (15.0.1 doesn't build, as discussed elsewhere), building for iOS

48. hexdecc

hexdecc

saved my day thank you!