Search Unity

! CM v2.1.09 has been released ! We snuck in a bonus surprise feature !

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Adam_Myhill, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

It's released, the latest and by far greatest Cinemachine yet, v2.1

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79898

We put in a surprise feature for the final release: BlendList Camera

This released version has a number of improvements from the previous CM and RC's which we've been posting here on the forum, they are:
    • Many many more example scenes. We have at least one example scene per camera component and a few which have a number of things combined. Example scripts, an animated character with controller setup, Timelines, trigger volumes setups and more.
    • Updated documentation. Compared to the previous version this documentation is vastly superior. 60+ pages of it
    • Performance upgrades. Areas were optimized and cleaned up, making this CM faster than the RCs.
    • Improved features. We messed around with a number of areas, improving how things work and feel.
    • Bonus feature! BlendList Camera. It works like this: A single BlendList camera can have any number of sub-cameras inside it, where you can set timing and blend methods between each. Calling a BlendList camera will play the first sub camera, then the second, and will move down the list for as many cameras as you put in. This provides the the ability to very quickly make shots which have dolly moves or crash-zooms or any other camera behaviour. Cameras can now contain their own camera moves.

As always, we love your feedback. Let us know how things are going with your project, we're here to help.

If you enjoy Cinemachine and would like to give us a good review on the Asset Store - we would certainly appreciate that too. It shows the rest of Unity that Cinemachine is a feature worth supporting.

Thanks for your feedback everyone! Go make some amazing stuff!​

2. sebsmax

sebsmax

Thanks for the update, we're trying it right now!

Adam_Myhill likes this.
  3. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

2017.3.0b9, Errors when trying to build the project.

4. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

JakubSmaga likes this.
  5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@JacobSmaga I'm getting that too, but only when I build your project. Interesting. It does, however, reveal a hole in the CM armor. Thanks for reporting it! Try this patch.

Attached Files:

JakubSmaga likes this.
  6. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Patch fixed it, Thanks!

7. sebsmax

sebsmax

Hi @GregoryLouisLoh, @Adam_Myhill

I've noticed that there is an issue with transitions.
    while transitioning it's like the camera freeze and stop tracking the subject

here you can see the comparison between Cinemachine 2.1.0 RC [0:00 - 0:24] and Cinemachine 2.1.09 [0:24 - 0:48]

The only difference between these two videos is that I've updated Cinemachine to 2.1.09.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  8. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

@sebsmax Thanks for the post. We can repro the problem and will let you know when we have a fix.

9. corjn

corjn

Hey first of all, thanks for creating this amazing tool that is cinemachine !

I've noticed some issues you may be aware of (or maybe they are not issues) :

Taking latest Cinemachine version with unity 2017.2.0f3, Free look collider example scene on a newly created project.

The brain is set by default in smart update, but when build, I noticed there is a big sensivity difference to the camera between in editor run and build run. And only with smart update, others are working just fine. (I tried to activate/deactivate ignore timescale, changed nothing)

Also, on the same scene, I noticed some very little constant flickering in every update mode, when turning the camera. In both Smart and Late update, the target (character) is not affected by the flickering, but everything esle is. And in late update, both are, when the character is moving.
    I have a 140 fps GSync screen so I easely notice flickering, even if it's almost indistinguishable.
    (Edit : that last problem looks solved with v sync in every v blank activated)

Edit 2 : About the first problem, here is how to reproduce it : put animate physics on the character, Camera Brain in Smart Update and VSync off, and you will have a difference of input sensitivity between build and in editor.

Best,

Jonathan

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  10. sebsmax

sebsmax

I see an update for 2.1.10 :D
    I'm trying it right away

11. knocking

knocking

12. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  13. knocking

knocking

oh my bad about the forum post. I will re-post it there, its too bad this is very important for us.

JakubSmaga likes this.
  14. sebsmax

sebsmax

Adam_Myhill likes this.
  15. Dorodo

Dorodo

Hi, I'm having a weird issue after I updated from 2.1 to 2.1.09. Whenever there's a smooth transition between 2 Vcams, our screen gets completely black while the transition is taking place.

upload_2017-12-2_22-27-18.png

This issue is happening whenever we have a lookup table active in both vcams. If we turn one of them, the screen stops turning black. Any ideas?

We're not using a post process volume component on our camera brain. All vcams use a cinemachine post processing script.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  16. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I’m on vacation now and can’t look into this. Anyone have any ideas?

17. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

-What's your: Operating system, Graphics API in Unity (DX11, DX12, Vulkan etc).
    -Is the problem happening in an empty project?
    -Was the problem happening before upgrading to 2.1.09?
    -Are you using Auto exposure?
    -Are you blending with the Timeline? (I'm not sure if that's a good question... but well, any information is something :) )
    -Could you file a repo project?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  18. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Yes, if you could export a little package that demonstrates this issue it would really help with diagnosing.

19. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Small 4 "futuristic" questions:
    -Is CM going to have any performance advantages from the upcoming C# Job System?
    - @Adam_Myhill Do you think that Machine Learning will help Cinemachine/or just game cameras in general in the future? (Programming them, Controlling etc)
    -Is the upcoming Physical Camera going to replace the current Unity's camera or is it going to be another component and the current camera component will stay as it is?
    -In which Unity 2018.x version can we expect to have Physical Camera built-in?

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to the Cinemachine team & users!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  20. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Hi @JacobSmaga Happy holidays! Some great questions

- CM / C# Job system - we've discussed it. None-trivial to implement. Each camera is pretty light so it's not super high on our list but it definitely will eventually get there. We want to do more profiling in the new year to really see if there's much to this idea and what that opportunity cost would be.

- ML is an interesting topic. We have some really interesting work coming up with high-level cinematography functionality that could potentially have an ML component to it.

- The upcoming PC won't replace any camera but will be added to the existing regular camera plus the CM virtual camera. It will be middle of next year at least before the main camera gets updated but since CM is separate from the main Unity branch, you can expect it earlier in CM... :)

Thanks!

JakubSmaga likes this.
  21. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Hey Adam! Just a really small question. Is the Y axis recenter heading still in the works? I need it really badly. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  22. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Yes that's done and will be in the next release.

JakubSmaga likes this.
  23. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Hi, Just another really really small :D question:

When I'm using:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public Orbit[] Orbits = new Orbit[3];
    This is how my Editor UI looks like:

Is there any way to make it look the same way as the vCam UI without creating custom UI editor scripts?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  24. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately you're stuck with a custom editor.

JakubSmaga likes this.
  25. Masculex

Masculex

I can't get the download button to respond in the asset store.

26. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Try reloading your browser / project. It works, many thousands of downloads, something is up on your end.

27. Alverik

Alverik

Is this from within unity or from the web browser? If it's from a browser it might be an issue with file associations. I've seen it before. Once, I reinstalled windows, noticed that my unity's I had in my secondary drive still worked fine without needing to reinstall them. But file associations where gone, and hitting the "open in Unity" button from a browser would also fail. And reassigning associations with the "open with" in Windows only works half more or less for package files, not sure how the protocols for web are been treated. Maybe you should try installing another version of Unity in a separate folder so it can redo the associations for you (I myself have 4.7, 2017.1, 2017.2 and 2017.3 installed, so I can deal with projects stuck in other versions).

28. KB73

KB73

A potential bug and CM 2.1.09

We're on 2017.2.p1 - we're suffering from Editor UI updates ( non-cinemachine related )..however we did notice the following pop up on the profiler while we had the cinemachineinspector open

We have several virtual cams in and a whole bunch of other UI out but the FindObjectsOfTypeAll is getting called every frame, when we minimized the cinemachinemachine brain inspector, the frame rate returned to normal.

Not sure if there is an alternative fix for this, i know the function is really expensive.

We just minimize the inspector for the brain on and off for now

private void UpdateCameraCandidates()
    {
    List<string> vcams = new List<string>();
    mCameraIndexLookup = new Dictionary<string, int>();

CinemachineVirtualCameraBase[] candidates;
    if (GetAllVirtualCameras != null)
    candidates = GetAllVirtualCameras();
    else
    {
    // Get all top-level (i.e. non-slave) virtual cameras
    candidates = Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll(
    typeof(CinemachineVirtualCameraBase)) as CinemachineVirtualCameraBase[];

29. YJack

YJack

Looks like some namespaces on PostFX have miss directions using the latest Post Processing V2 version.

Edited:
    In order to enable both versions to work together, they have different namespaces. So, in fact, it's not a "miss direction" for Post Processing V2 but a "direction" to Post Processing V1.

Looks like Cinemachine isn't working with Post Processing V2 alone. Not sure if is intentional or just some missing directive.

I understand that use simultaneously both versions can help project update but, in my opinion, is a bad idea due the additional overhead not easily detected by new users. Beside, I believe that it isn't so costless in terms of engineering.

I'm pretty sure that even being compatible, both Post Processing into a project at the same time increase the build size and looks like a bad practice (Default Post Processing V1 is HUGE. Not sure about Post Processing V2).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  30. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You're not supposed to have both PostProcessing versions at the same time. If you install a new version, delete the old one first.

Cinemachine supports both PostProcessing V1 and V2. Code is included conditionally based on some defines that are created by the PostProcessing package.

The CinemachinePostFX class is for PostProcessing V1 only. For V2 it's CinemachinePostProcessing. Check your script defines in PlayerSettings to make sure you have the right defines for the PostProcessing version installed. If worst comes to worst, you can always just the delete the code that corresponds to the wrong PostProcessing package.

YJack likes this.
  31. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Semi-necro, but:

As a note, you can just create a custom property drawer for the Orbit type and then mostly copy and paste CM's editor for that, minus any layout (since custom property drawers do not allow layout). It's not that much work at all.

Gregoryl and JakubSmaga like this.
  32. MBolufer

MBolufer

Hi there,

I've got a strange issue with CinemachinePostProcessing extension on some of my vcams. It just vanish when I hit play, specially on dolly tracked cameras...

Any idea ?

I'm using PPSV2 , Cinemachine 2.1.10 & Unity 2017.2.0f3

Thanks !

33. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

I've never seen anything like this before, and will need a little more description of the problem, and of your setup. Any chance you could throw together a little demo project that shows this, so I could take a look?

34. MBolufer

MBolufer

Hi Gregory,
    sorry for the delay. Hard for me to send you a little part of the entire project, I've tried to reproduce it in a brand new project, but (un)fortunally, everything is allright... I'm going to delete and re-import PPSV2 again in our project and try to start everything from scratch (PostFX Layers & Volumes, Vcams, Dollys...) to see if I can reproduce the problem.