Search Unity

Cloud server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Deleted, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Deleted

Deleted

Hi,I developed my Air Hockey game which I'm going to push on Play Store as soon as I add multiplayer to it.
    I don't want to pay a million for a server to find out later that the game won't be a success.
    The best solution seemed to be Photon Cloud, but the problem is that to export a game to Android you need to have Unity Pro + Android Pro (because of Sockets available only in Pro versions).
    I can't afford them (3000$).
    What do you think I should do to make my game multiplayable without having to sell my soul to evil? :confused:

2. fholm

fholm

The only multiplayer option that works without Unity Pro + Android Pro for your platform, is the default Unity one, kind of narrows down the choice :)

3. Deleted

Deleted

This means no SmartFox, Photon, uLink... pure Unity Networking :(

4. fholm

fholm

Correct.

5. nikolic

nikolic

.NET sockets support has been excluded from Android Basic license in Unity 3.5.6.
    It has been told here few times that there was a mistake made by Unity crew which left sockets allowed in Android basic license.

Sockets worked when I bought Android Basic license. I had already implemented Photon Cloud and made design changes in my game before 3.5.6 was released. I'm still using Unity 3.5.3f3 and have been planning to publish an Android game which uses .NET sockets. I asked here a few times if I would be doing something illegal but nobody answered.

I believe I bought socket support with my license in last December. Well, that makes sense to me at least. I am not trying to fool anybody. It's just that I would feel fooled if I realized I had wasted my time.

If my view on this "issue" is correct, you should also be able to use sockets by downgrading Unity to before 3.5.6 (of course, if you bought the license earlier).

If anybody shared some thoughts about this, I would appreciate.

6. fholm

fholm

nikolic: It was only that specific version of Unity Android Basic which included Socket support, and it has never been listed as feature on the android overiew page, so yes it was a mistake.

7. nikolic

nikolic

@fholm
    Thanks for your comment. .NET sockets support actually has been listed as a feature in Unity 4 Android (and iOS) Basic until recently. It also has been listed as Basic-only feature for a few days. There have been talks and screenshots about it here.

I don't remember if it has been listed when I bought. I guess I'll never know. When I tried Photon it just worked.