Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Cloud Content Delivery very slow first time.

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Content Delivery' started by Buteur2007, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Buteur2007

Buteur2007

New build, time to load addressable using Unity CCD is very slow.
    I have a progress text and I can see 1% more after each 3 seconds (after the famous 50%).
    Finally the asset is loaded.
    I close the app.
    I restart and now the download time is fast enough.
    Is the system copying my stuff to a closest server?
    Any way to prevent this?, I'm afraid new users will give up before to have any chance to try.

Thanks for any help,

2. darashayda

darashayda

Hello

1. Our player and devs download mid size projects of about 50-60MB with ease, on most mobiles averages between 10 to 15s

2. Consecutive times, the cache is used rather than the CCD network IO and it flies.

3. On desktops a bit slower to do the fact that broadband ISP bandwidth are often inferior to mobile 5G services

4. For CCD+Addressables best to use 2021.1.0b15 or the latest 2022.1, both are definitely faster than 2020 and 2019 versions

D

SebT_Unity likes this.
  3. Buteur2007

Buteur2007

Hi,

Few more details:
    I'm using 2020.3.25f1 + 1.18.1(verified) for Addressables.
    In total I have around 1Go of Addressables assets.
    From 20mo to 250mo.
    The "problem" it's really when I load the first time (just after I install the app), it can take few minutes.

Christian

4. darashayda

darashayda

IF you are on a desktop you could write out your assets into the local disk as a part of the game installation and then use CCD+Addressables for UPDATEs.

In our case that does not work, since we are on mobile devices and every asset each reset or reload of the game could be completely new.

In general for GIG and above I would do the disk writing as a part of my installation.
    Dara

5. Buteur2007

Buteur2007

Hi,

I changed the Bundle Mode (Advanced Options) of my Asset Group from "Pack Together" to "Pack Separately" and now it's ok.

Attached Files:

6. darashayda

darashayda

How fast per GIG of download?

7. darashayda

darashayda

I forgot you had a lot of different elements of your game were made Addressables and if packed together then perhaps the entire ensemble had to be downloaded vs. what necessary piece at the time.

8. sebastienUnity3d

sebastienUnity3d

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the answers and support @darashayda .

This is indeed a proper way to optimize your download. Also, please remind that a CDN works by caching in your region of the world a content originally store elsewhere. So before it is optimized for your region, it needs to be fetched from the original storage first. Thus your first download of a very large file will always takes more time than subsequent ones.

Best Regards

SebT_Unity likes this.
  9. darashayda

darashayda

Hello Sebastien since I hang around here a lot, in case I posted something incorrect please feel free to correct me or delete the wrong stuff.

Dara