Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cloud build without version control?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by Robdon, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Robdon

Robdon

I'm just looking into Cloud Build and Unity teams.

I've been working on a project for 3 years now. I do the coding and my partner does the art/graphics.

We are very close now to releasing the game.

I've developed fully on Windows and am currently doing Alpha testing, and would like to add Linux and MacOS to our release.

I've done the Linux build myself on Ubuntu machine that I boot off from another drive.

The problem I have with MacOS is that you need Mac hardware to run a MacOS (legally / officially) and that is rather costly and time consuming for what is a rather small market.

So, I thought cloud build could help me. But, reading through the documents, it looks like I can only use cloud build if I have my project running through a Version Control system, is that true? Or is there some way I can just upload my Asset (and project) folders and then the cloud build would build from that? I would have thought that would be the easiest way to do it, at least for me.

I understand the advantages etc of Version Control, but that is just something I haven't used on this project and I really don't want to get into all that just to build a MacOS version. I have my own scripts and backup procedures so Version Control for a single dev, at least me, doesn't have much value.

2. Robdon

Robdon

Ok, I've 'found'... Unity Collaborate.

The https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/unity-cloud-build# didn't mention that (maybe that should be updated?)

I guess that looks relatively simple, will give it a quick go and see what it's like.

(** I'm still nervous about uploading my source code, both security and stability wise. I have an inherent worry about other people systems. When I just copy a folder locally and upload it etc, I feel more in control and have procedures in place that mean I can never , or at least unlikely, lose anything)

3. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

I wouldn't worry too much about cloud build (via source control), they only keep a copy of the code for the build and then it gets deleted. Each time you do a cloud build the source gets downloaded again.

p.s. If your project is small you can also use GIT through a private repository on GitHub (https://github.com/pricing) - it's free if you're not using a huge amount of space. It can be made extremely secure through SSH keys too.

Robdon likes this.
  4. Robdon

Robdon

Thanks mate.

In the end, I went for Unity Teams Advanced and used Collaborate to upload my project with. Gonna have to get used to my code being off my PC ;)

Seemed really easy, and the builds seem fine.

Only slight problem is that when you upload a project for the first time, it didn't seem to fill in any of the build options, like scenes, compression opts and build addressable opts. Would have been good if it defaulted them all in from the project, as my first test build didn't work as none of that was set... took a little bit to figure that out.

Oh also, when you enable Collaberate in the Services window in the editor, there is then an option saying 'Open the Collaborate toolbar'. Clicking that was just doing nothing, no message or anything. Then I figured out I needed to have added Collaborate through the Package manager first to make that work.

So a few things I feel they could do to tidy it up a bit and make it a little easier for first time users.

5. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

That's good you got it all working, I've not used Collaborate myself so I can't help on that side of things but sounds like you've managed to figure it all out anyway!