Search Unity

Cloud Build Unite Boston 2015 update: desktop platforms, build targets, and more!

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by hypeNate, Sep 21, 2015.

1. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

Greetings! Today we’re pleased to announce the latest and greatest update to Unity Cloud Build! We’ve been listening to your feedback, and have been hard at work over the past year to find ways to save you more time during development.

Before we jump into the good stuff, keep in mind that all the following features are FREE to all users and available IMMEDIATELY, in Open Beta. With that, here’s what we have for you:

NEW PLATFORMS
    We’ve just doubled the number of platforms Cloud Build supports! In addition to iOS, Android, and Webplayer we’ve now added Windows desktop, Mac OS X, and Linux! There are 32-bit / 64-bit / Universal options for OS X and Linux, and 32-bit / 64-bit versions for Windows.

forum-selectplatform.png

EASIER, MORE FLEXIBLE BUILD CONFIGURATIONS
    Prior to this update, if you wanted to build a project several different ways for the same platform, you’d have to replicate your project in our system multiple times (for example a Google Play Android version, and another Android version for a different store). No more! This update allows for any number of ‘build targets’ inside a single project - and each target can build from a different branch and have different signing credentials.

You’ll find this feature in the Targets section for your project.
    forum-targets.png

In existing projects, your current platforms will be named ‘default-PLATFORM’ but as you add new targets you’ll notice you can name them anything you want: who it’s for, which branch its building from, etc.

SPLIT BINARY (.APK + .OBB) SUPPORT FOR ANDROID
    By far the most popular request on our feedback category was the ability for users to create split binary files for Android builds. We’re really excited to be able to give this to you - check in the Advanced Settings area of any Android target

NEW WEBSITE, UI
    Supporting all these new features is a revamped website which is a bit snappier to interact with. And, of course, it’s all still mobile-ready so you can make, manage, and download builds wherever you are.

ALL FEATURES AVAILABLE IN ALL PLANS
    Finally, we’ve heard you loud and clear: Cloud Build is most useful when you have access to all it’s powerful features. Starting today, users in all plans are able to access the following features:

In existing projects, your current platforms will be named ‘default-PLATFORM’ but as you add new targets you’ll notice you can name them anything you want: who it’s for, which branch its building from, etc.
    • Pre- and Post-Export Methods
    • Git, SVN, Mercurial, and Perforce integration
    • Custom Scripting Defines
    • Custom Scene Lists
    • Development / Debug builds
    • Unlimited Collaborators per project

GET STARTED
    You can access all the new stuff we’ve announced in this post IMMEDIATELY. Sign up now at

https://build-beta.cloud.unity3d.com

This is where you will need to go to try out the new platform and build target features. Once more people have tried it out and kicked the tires, we’ll put the older website out to pasture (that’s a Texan way of saying: we’ll turn it off).

Thanks to all of you for participating in the forums and communicating with our team. We’re looking forward to seeing what you think about this new updates!

blizzy and Ostwind like this.
  2. jpv1234

jpv1234

Thanks for the unlimited collaborators! This is a rest for our team when making builds

3. gurayg

gurayg

Wonderful news!
    I was wondering a few things before I give this system a try:

-Any changes planned for 2GB Repo Limit for Pro users?
    -Any news on the Plastic SCM integration? (since they've announced their Plastic cloud )
    -If none of the above will be available before years end, Can you please recommend some ways for people looking at repo sizes way beyond 2GB limit? I couldn't find a good way of getting bigger repo spaces with current integrations.

Thanks

4. Dynamoid-Megan

Dynamoid-Megan

My team is also interested in the Plastic SCM integration!

5. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Sorry if it's not the right place, I'm not sure.

Is there a learning resource for newbies like me to be able to use unity cloud build service, starting with git project setup.

6. Skyblade

Skyblade

This is great news, especially support for all types of VCS! I had to move from Mercurial to Git couple just couple weeks ago, but now I will return to my precious bitbucket :)
    Repo size is a real limitation for content-intense games. Maybe this option can be upgraded and paid separately?

7. liortal

liortal

Build targets are awesome, but why is that delivered as part of cloud build, and not as a project configuration done in the editor ? (that will be picked up by the cloud build as well).

khan-amil likes this.
  8. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

Yup! We've updated lessons. Check them out:

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/cloud-build-0

Let us know what you think!

hakankaraduman likes this.
  9. Simie

Simie

The new UI feels very snappy and responsive. Well done guys!

(Hooray for deferred loading!)

10. patrickc

patrickc

Unity Technologies

There's additional information at the Cloud Build support section:

https://build-beta.cloud.unity3d.com/support/

We're still looking into ways to expand the number of source control systems we support, but no news specifically about Plastic SCM yet.

We know that there will be larger projects being built for desktop, and we want to improve Cloud Build to be able to support large projects for all plans. But we have more work to do before that can happen. If you have specific requirements, feel free to direct message me.

And build targets are in the works for the editor, and we intend for them to be able to sync between Cloud Build and the editor.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Cheers,
    Patrick

11. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

12. khan-amil

khan-amil

To add to your user feedback for project sizes :
    We've been waiting for desktop platform on cloud build since cloud build was announced, and were reassured when you said that repo sizes would be bigger for PC.
    But now we find out that we can't use the service, it's a shame..

We're a team of around 6-10 people working remotely for more than a year on our game, with until very recently only one artist, and one sound designer on the game. So while the game is in 3D and we're aiming for a high quality, we're definitely not content heavy nor art heavy. And yet our project alone takes more than 10Go on my drive, the mercurial repo being much more. Granted, we surely could trim down the project size, but we'd rather not, as it's time consuming when we cna't know if an asset is used/referenced somewhere in the game or not.

So while I'm not saying that we should be on a free plan with our situation (indie team working full time, not "hobbyist/ quick project"), it's kind of telling that the only available plan would be "Enterprise", which would cost us who-knows-what/month, but surely more than 100$/month.

We still have at least 6months left to finish the game, and given that with around 500$ + 1-2 day of work we can get a Nuc, hook it up to our best connection, and set up Jenkins on it and enjoy unlimited builds/space, I don't see us using cloud build until some big change on your plans.

zOrder likes this.
  13. simonnicholas

simonnicholas