Search Unity

Feedback Cloud Build - Pre-Export Method: Allow Async

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by joshcamas, Aug 8, 2020.

1. joshcamas

joshcamas

Hello!

I'm working on getting some tools integrated into Cloud Build by using the Pre-Export Method.
    It'd be REALLY nice if there was a form of the Pre-Export Method that would provide an action to be called once the method is completed. IE:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public static void PreExport(System.Action onComplete)
    2. {
    3. //Run coroutine then finally run onComplete()
    4. }
    This would allow any non-asynchronous generation tools to work right out of the box! For example, I do not include a lot of generated data (lighting data, navigation data, etc) on my repo - instead, I have tools that automatically batch all needed data on the developers side. I'd of course need to be able to run these tools on the cloud build side as well!

Skibitsky and LaviK47 like this.
  2. seagulluax

seagulluax

3. joshcamas

joshcamas

Right, but would unity cloud wait for that to complete? EDIT: I see what you mean, that looks promising

4. cjlazar-kumu

cjlazar-kumu

I was looking into this too. Did you have any luck using Task.Run() (and presumably Task.Wait()) to run async code in the pre/post export methods and have it play nicely with Cloud Build @joshcamas ?

5. joshcamas

joshcamas

I'm not using Unity cloud anymore, but it does seem like it would work. Give it a try!

6. Carl_UnityDSE

Carl_UnityDSE

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    You can use an Async method, to ensure that the next method is only started once the previous method has finished executing.

7. abhi3188

abhi3188

Doesn't unity cloud build doc explicitly say you need to use a void function? How would you use an async method with Task?

I tried an async method with void and it did not wait for completion before starting the next method.

berkantalkn likes this.