Search Unity

Cloud Build not free anymore?

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Build' started by ekt, Jan 2, 2018.

1. ekt

ekt

In the build dashboard I get this message:
    "Starting soon a Unity Teams Advanced subscription will be required to Build in the Cloud. Consider signing up for Unity Teams Advanced now so that you don’t lose access"

Unity Teams Advanced is not the free tier, so does that means cloud build wont be free anymore?

Ash-Blue and camille_sjawa like this.
  2. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

That is correct. You will still be able to upload and share your local builds, but automated builds created by Unity Cloud Build will only be available in Unity Teams Advanced. More info here: https://unity3d.com/teams

3. K1kk0z90_Unity

K1kk0z90_Unity

What does it mean “upload and share your local builds”? Does it allow to install a new development build on an iOS device without having to build an Xcode project on macOS, like when using automated builds?

4. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

It means that after building locally, you can upload that build and use the same set of distribution tools that have been available for automated builds. For iOS specifically, if you intend to build locally you will need OSX/Xcode on at least one machine to generate the build, but after it's uploaded you can install directly on your iOS devices using share links like normal.

5. Hassaan-XD

Hassaan-XD

And why would Unity do that?

6. unity_ghdz4JNzAAhDUA

unity_ghdz4JNzAAhDUA

So even after buying the team Advanced account I still could not use cloud build. Nice bait and switch Unity.

7. PhilMcJ

PhilMcJ

Unity Technologies

Teams Advanced includes build creation in Cloud Build, and it should be enabled for your organization within minutes of the Teams Advanced purchase going through. If you're still unable to create or configure builds, please submit a support ticket or reply here and we'll track down what's going wrong there.

8. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

That site still says Teams Basic has automated cloud builds:

9. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

@Devil_Inside - thanks for pointing that out. Apparently the mobile version of the site was not updated correctly. Will get it fixed.

10. Amuntsen

Amuntsen

The greed gets strong with unity :/ Not even a few free builds per week or some similar restriction?

11. Archimagus

Archimagus

When I started using Cloud build way back when it was first introduced, it was said that Cloud build would remain free for everyone in a limited fashion. Way to get people "dependent" on a product to then start charging for it. I've been an avid unity user and supporter for a long time, but this really sucks. Cloud build was such a great service, too bad it's now no longer usable for hobbiests and casual users.

12. Shawn67

Shawn67

That was my understanding as well. I never got around to doing anything with it but had hoped to use it for iOS builds since I no longer have a mac. At this point I'm not sure I'll ever get a game released and everything is pretty much educational. Kind of hard to justify any extra expenses on my limited budget. It would be nice to see a limited free version for those of us who wont be heavy users.

13. thefallengamesstudio

thefallengamesstudio

WHAT?
    Please, at least 1 build per week or even MONTH.
    Please make a pool and see how many people depend on this free cloud build

14. SpectralEdge

SpectralEdge

I took a break from developing for a few months. Just discovered this. My entire development pipeline is ruined. I can't get android or IOS sdks to work on any of my computers which is why I used it originally. I am beyond frustrated with the switch.

15. devreaction

devreaction

Well, it's only like 9 bucks a month. If your "entire development pipeline" relies on that it's not a high price, considering all the time it actually takes to be android/ios ready as smoothly as Unity Team is ;)

khaled24 likes this.
  16. LilGames

LilGames

Is there any point to that when Apple has "TestFlight" and Google has "Beta" ??

17. SmartMediaNL

SmartMediaNL

Uh first time i read about this. As a one member team does this means Plus can't do cloud builds anymore as well ?

18. LilGames

LilGames

Hey @dannyd
    I'd like to suggest that for the extra $9 a month, more is offered than just the "3 members, 1 concurrent build". How about "1 member, 2 concurrent builds" as an option?

I feel like I got extorted ... At least make the $9/month more "valuable" than what was previously free. :(

19. Schneider21

Schneider21

I was interested in Cloud Build when it was first announced, but never worked on a multiplatform game. With the amount of time it takes to switch platforms on a decent size project, I looked into it again today to see that it doesn't have the free option anymore.

It would be really great to have the option to do builds on the free tier, even with a huge wait between builds. Any chance there's talks of revisiting this, @dannyd?

20. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

@Schneider21 - no, there are no plans to re-introduce a free tier.

Schneider21 likes this.
  21. Schneider21

Schneider21

Ah, nuts. Thanks for the response, though. :)

22. trj_1

trj_1

Because democratization. :rolleyes:

23. Eric_Bates

Eric_Bates

Hi,
    Will it still be possible to use GitHub with unity cloud then?
    Thanks!
    Eric