Search Unity

Cloud Build for Asset Bundle Generation

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by Maktech, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Maktech

Maktech

I see from another thread:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/asset-bundle-options.458615/

Unity Cloud Build can generate builds with asset bundles when "Build Asset Bundles" option is used. My company has many asset bundles (+1 million) we are looking to improve our automation of asset bundle generation as we transition from Unity 5 to Unity 2017 and beyond.
    • Would Unity Cloud Build be an option to help us generate asset bundles?
      • If not is there another service Unity has that can be used?
    • Is there an option to generate only the bundles not the executable?
    • I see concurrent builds cost $10 per concurrent build? (what exactly does this mean?) concurrency per platform, like Windows and Mac being built at the same time? or any build being built concurrently.
    Thank you in advance,
    Matt

jjmontes and tonialatalo like this.
  2. dagon

dagon

I think you can create your assetbundle server using unity batchmode
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.html
    You need :
    • a server installed unity editor
    • an editor script control build
    • a way execute command line
    Here is my test create webgl assetbundle server with unity 5.6 :
    • install unity editor to Amazon EC2
    • editor script function BuildPipeline.BuildAssetBundles ("target",BuildAssetBundleOptions.None,BuildTarget.WebGL);
    • using a php script call editor function from command line
    link test:
    Show me if you have better solution.

3. Maktech

Maktech

Thank you dagon for the info. We already have automated solutions / servers and the ability to target platforms. We were looking to replace parts of our existing pipelines with a system like Cloud Build. That is was the motivation of the question. I was hoping to hear from someone specifically on the Unity Cloud Build team to see if they have anyone else using their service in the way I describe. Appreciate the response.

jjmontes and tonialatalo like this.
  4. Mishganches

Mishganches

Hey, guys! Any news about it? We are also looking forward to add opportunity for making bundles for cdn only.

It will be greate to receive answer from UCB team about this feature.

tonialatalo likes this.
  5. Eric-Farraro

Eric-Farraro

I believe the answer is "any build" that is concurrent. eg: with the basic plan, you can only do one build at a time, regardless of what platform it is for.

I don't recall ever seeing an option to generate just the bundle without the executable, in the current service.

6. samuelmorais

samuelmorais

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is any restriction by Unity to build asset bundles in a backend server.

Anyone from @Unity could answer this, please?

Thanks!

jjmontes likes this.
  7. Solid123

Solid123

Hi, can I have some information about your setup for the cloud builder?

I’m currently working on something like yours, I have started a new instance on AWS (EC2) and I download and installed a version of Unity Editor.

When I try to launch a new project, the editor crash at the loading screen, this will appear for each project then I try to open.

So I try to run Unity from the command line with the following details: "Unitypath" -batchmode -nographics -quit -projectPath "project_path" -executeMethod AssetBundleCreator.InizializeAndBuildAssetBundle -logFile "logfile_path" -modelName 174 -modelLod 2 -outputPath "assetbundler_out_path”. This mthod this time open the project correctly but keep still stuck on the attempt to load the models.

Tanks!

Current server setup:

• Unity Version: 2019.4

• Ram: 4Gib

• CPU: 2 virtual core

jjmontes likes this.
  8. jjmontes

jjmontes

+1 to this.

I'm interesed in a similar setup, either via Cloud Build, or custom virtual machines / docker, or both.

I must admit I haven't gave this a try yet, but knowing whether it's possible or a coarse guideline on the steps to follow would be very enlightening.

Thx!