Search Unity

Cloud Build Fails with LFS & Bitbucket

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by josh_s_dev, Nov 30, 2016.

1. josh_s_dev

josh_s_dev

Since switching on LFS on my project (which is well over the 2GB size for the main git repository in Bitbucket), I'm having problems with Cloud Build. It will do one of two things: fail or time out and cancel itself, during the source control step.

This is the error message:

fatal: Assets/3rdParty/BulletImpacts/scene/impactPlane.png: smudge filter lfs failed
    217: git-lfs/1.4.1 (GitHub; darwin amd64; go 1.7; git 2070e4c)
    218: git version 2.6.6
    219: Error downloading object: Assets/3rdParty/BulletImpacts/scene/impactPlane.png (2738114c01ca94ce2e9e2f265371534aaa77fe74ec93abb37aeb98b5c3a1e81f)
    220: Smudge error: Error downloading 2738114c01ca94ce2e9e2f265371534aaa77fe74ec93abb37aeb98b5c3a1e81f: batch request: exit status 255: batch request: exit status 255

We sometimes get 'smudge failed' problems locally using sourcetree too, it seems to be a rather global problem with flakiness in the LFS implementation. Hitting Pull again seems to fix it. I feel that this shouldn't be a problem in the Cloud Build process, that Cloud Build should detect this one specific message and know to retry the pull and continue building. Of course, if anyone knows a way to stop this error altogether, I'm all ears!

This is the time out/cancel message:

Cloning the remote Git repository
    38: Cloning repository ssh://git@bitbucket.org/dogboat/mrshifty.git
    39: Fetching upstream changes from ssh://git@bitbucket.org/dogboat/mrshifty.git
    40: Fetching upstream changes from ssh://git@bitbucket.org/dogboat/mrshifty.git
    41: Checking out Revision 60613b7afc81bf85d7e0aa2efbe09fd5918dcec9 (refs/remotes/origin/master)
    42: Build was canceled
    43: ********************************************************************************
    44: This build was automatically canceled by the Cloud Build service. This usually
    45: happens when log output stops for an extended period of time. If you suspect
    46: this is due to a problem with the Cloud Build service, please contact support.
    47: https://build.cloud.unity3d.com/support/
    48: ********************************************************************************

I'm not sure what to do about the time outs.

We had only minor problems with Cloud Build before we started using LFS. It's now almost completely useless. I build three platforms once daily from a scheduler. Not a single build has succeeded getting through the source control step in about a month now.

Is there any help out there? I really like Cloud Build in concept and when it was working for us it was very cool.

katiecanning likes this.
  2. unitychrism

unitychrism

Hello,

I am currently testing some improvements to Git LFS support and will reach out directly to perform some tests with your repository.

3. katiecanning

katiecanning

We've also been experiencing this exact same problem for about two weeks now. Before that our builds were reasonably stable with only the occasional smudge error, usually when more than several branches were merged into our main branch in quick succession. Have you been able to glean anything from looking at josh_s_dev's repository?

4. unitychrism

unitychrism

Hi there,

We have deployed a pre-release overhaul of Git LFS support that I will be reaching out for projects to test with. @katiecanning, please direct message me a link to your project and I will investigate/add you to that list.

I will post a sticky post in the forums tomorrow asking for more projects to verify that we have improved speed/reliability of Git LFS repositories. :)

josh_s_dev likes this.
  5. MonoKoschi

MonoKoschi

Hello everybody!

Are there any news on this topic?
    We're currently planning on setting up a build server and would at least like to test Unity Cloud Build, but are using LFS on a BitBucket GIT repository. So the question is: does it work reliably?

6. SophiaC

SophiaC