Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cloth system

Discussion in '2019.2 Beta' started by id0, Apr 17, 2019.

1. id0

id0

I do not know what did you do with the cloth system but it completely unusable now. This is what happened when I just add cloth component on the mesh (nothing else, and the skinned mesh itself is fine) Cloth.jpg
    Not to mention the fact that the old clothes all broken too, or not working as before. For example, I had made some flags, now they fly somewhere in the coordinate center, which, of course, I not planned, and rotate on 90%. And bounding boxes are located anywhere, but not where they should be.

Mohammadreza55555 likes this.
  2. elbows

elbows

If I am remembering the GDC 2019 roadmap talk properly then I think Unity switching to nvcloth was scheduled for 2019.2 so maybe something to do with that.

LeonhardP likes this.
  3. petersx

petersx

I confirm - cloth in 2019.2 is unusable with skinned mesh :(

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We have several fixes in flight for cloth that could be part of the build we plan to release around May 7.

hippocoder, teutonicus, FROS7 and 2 others like this.
  5. id0

id0

2019.3. Nothing fixed at all. Acually IT EVEN WORST!

awesomedata likes this.
  6. petersx

petersx

yep, I confirm (Unity 2019.3a05) - after add cloth component to skinned mesh, the mesh with cloth is rotated a 90 degree and is not usable at all.

7. elbows

elbows

In my experience there can be moments where stuff that is changed in the beta version hasnt made it to the alpha version of the next major unity version yet. But I dont know if thats the case with this.

8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Forward porting is quite rare. By default, changes land in the main development branch first (from which current alphas ar built) and are then backported to other branches where appropriate.

9. elbows

elbows

Cheers, I stand corrected, not sure what I was thinking of. Something that was just a regression in an alpha probably.

10. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Still getting issues with cloth on Unity 2019.3 Release, no issues in 2019.1 on same project

11. jimrankenberg

jimrankenberg

We abandoned the Cloth component in 2018.3 because it was not stable. Just downloaded the 2019.3.0f6 and tried to experiment with it on a skinned mesh. It's just got worse. When adding the Cloth component to a mesh already in an existing scene, the cloth were flying around like crazy. Adding the mesh again to the scene solved that problem, but new problems showed. Vertices are popping out like spikes and I thought it might be some messy weights in the mesh, but after cleaning up any suspicious looking values in Blender, like zero or very small weights, the problem remained. Also the constraint editor shows a lot of bugs like constraints misplaced or rotated 90 degrees or not showing at all. Restarting Unity seemed to solve it, so it's more an annoyance just like the little balls showing in the wrong z-order makes it hard to work with. It is a disgrace to see how Unity can release this feature again and again without proper QA.
    We have tried other options like Obi or Bullet Physics, but it is either too heavy, difficult to work with or not working at all. I think cloth or other soft body simulation is really important for many projects and should be given some attention.

awesomedata likes this.
  12. awesomedata

awesomedata

THIS -- I can confirm this is happening all over to many people despite their version.
    The system started falling apart in 2016 and still hasn't been fixed!!

I concur! :(

@LeonhardP -- What the hell happened?? -- Has anyone tested this system at all in the past 3 years??

It's 2019.3 and still no stable cloth component! -- I've spent nearly an ENTIRE DAY and I can't seem to get cloth to working for anything at all without crazy UI glitches and bounding-box bugs or verts flipping in all kinds of strange ways!!

This system is ENTIRELY BROKEN. -- And there is jack-S*** for an alternative.
    I have had my patience tested a lot lately by broken this or half-finished that, and I keep telling myself, no, it's just a rewrite of the entire engine -- things get broken... but this has been broken for years. All in all, this is just ridiculous. Somebody needs to FIX THIS.

id0 likes this.
  13. alexrvn

alexrvn

Unity Technologies

Heya! Just to chime in here, I wanted to let you know that we are aware of the issues being mentioned in the posts above and we are actively working on addressing them as soon as possible. We have quite a bit of work planned to improve the cloth experience for you. The mesh distortion in the OP was handled in 19.3.0f6 if memory serves right. The explosive cloth issue should be fixed in 19.3.1, other fixes will follow.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Wondered if there's a roadmap or maybe some DOTS version or such in pipes? :)

15. alexrvn

alexrvn

Unity Technologies

Not that I am aware of, currently we are working on stabilizing the system.

id0 and hippocoder like this.
  16. awesomedata

awesomedata

Is that so?

Also, what about the obvious bounding box issues still present?

I mean, Unity has been "stabilizing" these same issues with this component since 2016 -- maybe earlier!

Wouldn't it just be easier at this point to just simply rewrite the whole cloth component using DOTS??

See these topics:

https://answers.unity.com/questions/1149101/why-does-adding-cloth-component-to-skinned-meshren.html
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-cloth-continues-to-disappoint-in-2017-3-sigh.509995/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cloth-constraints-not-working-cant-paint-or-select.717104/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cloth-questions-possible-bugs.716663/

Sorry -- I'm gonna need proof for that statement.

The above (linked) issues aren't "experience" issues -- those are all part of a massive, burning, garbage fire that is the cloth component! -- They make the whole system not only frustrating, but completely impossible to use in many odd, unpredictable, model and translation scenarios. And telling someone "we're gonna fix it" after years of saying that exact same thing and it never being FIXED makes those reassurances kinda lose their potency after a while.

You want "experience" issues though -- Okay. Sure. At first, the UI simply didn't appear. Turned out to be the "gizmos" setting was NOT grayed out (how unintuitive that you click a button to explicitly enter "constraint editing mode" and it still checks to see if a gizmo is enabled.) Huh. Okay -- no problem. After some fudging with it -- I got it.
    Next, there is a terrible bounding-box issue that always happens on my mesh the moment I attach a cloth component. At first I thought this was a glitch in the import settings in Unity. After doing some digging on "broken cloth" I find the solution from 2016 semi-fixes the issue -- "Update When Not in View" NEEDS to be checked in the Skinned Mesh Renderer. What got my attention is that this was a fix which has been there for YEARS as a requirement! And as you can see above, the explosive cloth thing is just impossible to avoid in 2019.3.1f1 no matter how I finesse the constraint painting UI or my model hierarchy. I'm not sure if it has to do with my skinned mesh submesh being weighted to a model whose scale is automatically set by Unity when imported from Blender -- but either way, these issues have been non-stop for YEARS. Oh, I haven't even mentioned the fact that I can't drag my mouse to increase/decrease the weight of the cloth paint -- IF the constraints to be painted actually appear in the first place!! Wait -- I have to go back and forth between "Modify Backfaces" and "Maximum yada yada" and "Surface Penetration" modes to get the dots to appear so I can paint them. Oh wait -- the Surface Penetration doesn't work?? -- At all??? -- Geeze! WTF?! -- What about the "Gradient" section of the menu? -- Huh?? What is this entire panel even FOR? -- I have no idea what to even do with it! -- And it changes the values on that cool-looking little rainbow strip at the top for some reason? What? I just freaking QUIT. Gotta sink 50 bucks and a few hours on ObiCloth and its documentation (or even more hours rolling my own solution in the shader, if that's an option!) just for some basic cloth to blow around in the wind. :/

This is what I think everyone who has ever even looked in the general direction of the Cloth component has hoped ever since DOTS was announced. lol

@alexrvn

I hate you had to be the one to receive the wrath of my frustration, but this stuff needs to be said.

The current cloth component has a neat UI and looks really cool -- until you see how broken it is by actually using it.

Don't bother stabilizing it.

Just do us both a favor and rewrite it in DOTS, yeah?

M_R_M, rstrubbe, petersx and 2 others like this.