Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Cloth Questions/possible bugs?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Foestar, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Foestar

Foestar

Am I missing something is the cloth component super buggy? I don't use the cloth much, or rather at all in fact. So I may just be missing the obvious despite not finding anything other than the "2018 cloth doesn't work" through google posts.

I'm trying to add cloth to my mesh and pin it so my character has a working physics based sack around his lower body. The mesh is one sided, but the material's shader makes it double so it's pretty much a plane at this point exported from 3DS Max. I then add my sack mesh to the cloth object, add its material, then go to edit the constraints only to find no black circle as videos show where my mouse is over it.

Manually selecting and changing them doesn't work either as the options are grayed out under the cloth constraints inspector. It's almost like it's being masked or something. I even read one older post saying they fixed their issues by resetting their layout but that did nothing for me.

Anywho, any ideas or knowledge on the subject are welcome.

2. indieDoroid

indieDoroid

You're not alone.. I'm running into issues after updating to 2018.4.4 ... something bugged out.

3. Foestar

Foestar

I did finally get it working, literally did nothing different and it started to go. The paint mode is still bugged out, but the manual selection process works fine for me now when I click max distance/surface penetration. They no long stay grayed out. Not really sure why they started working, maybe resetting everything worked, I know I tried that several times. But alas, I'm pretty sure it was a bug.

4. indieDoroid

indieDoroid

I ended up copying the one cloth game object that was working and deleted the other broken ones.. cloth is buggy :(

Foestar likes this.
  5. Foestar

Foestar

Yeah, I'm hoping they have some upcoming much needed updates to this feature to help it. Shouldn't have to do a custom work around just to get a built in feature to work.

indieDoroid likes this.
  6. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes we've also been having problems with cloth in 2018.4.x...Have had to write a bunch of scripts to get around most of them.

7. danUnity

danUnity

I am using 2019.2.0f1 and the cloth system is still pretty buggy... It literally explodes my mesh when I add any constraints on the particles ... Also when editing the particles, they are too big when the mesh is at the proper size for physics and sometimes they disappear when editing. Basically nothing works...

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Had a whole bunch of problems trying cloth out today. Figured it would've all been fixed since the last time I checked a year ago. Figured wrong.

9. indieDoroid

indieDoroid

Hi @SeanParkinson , just wanted to include you in this thread regarding physics bugs too.

Thanks for looking into it!

10. SeanParkinson

SeanParkinson

Unity Technologies

Hi, the fix for the exploding mesh didn't make it for 2019.20f1, it has just landed recently.

I've also added code to allow the constraint size visualisation to be varied. This has just landed recently too.

Foestar, AndrewRH and indieDoroid like this.
  11. indieDoroid

indieDoroid

@SeanParkinson Awesome! Thanks a lot for supporting these bug fixes! BTW Will there be any support for us 2018 users? :rolleyes:

12. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Fabulous!

13. indieDoroid

indieDoroid

Hi @SeanParkinson I put together a video of what's happening to me when I make a simple cloth. Is this the same kind of behavior other people are having?

I'm on Unity 2018.4.6f1

You can see that I tried to edit the bounding box, but was not able to and the bounding box gets offset the more I move the game object AWAY from 0,0,0 :oops:

I also just noticed that the bounding box affects visibility.. You can see the offset bounding box directly affects the cloth objects visibility. Also the bounding box gets offset that much is .... I suspect has to do with the child inheriting the Root Bone's parent position, rather than the cloth objects local position? That's my best guess

Here you'll see the cloth constraints are being offset in a strange way :eek:

Thanks for the support!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019