Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cloth Acceleration Not Working

Discussion in 'Physics' started by alti, Aug 9, 2019.

1. alti

alti

Is it just me, or is the random/external acceleration feature no longer working for cloth in Unity 2019.2?

I can't get it to work on a skinned mesh or even a normal plane. Nothing happens no matter how much I crank up the values. I've even played with the values in the Physics settings, and nothing changes the cloth's velocity to simulate wind.

Does anybody know if the feature is discontinued or something?

ElasticSea likes this.
  2. alti

alti

anybody?

3. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

I think I read on another forum / bug posting..someone else reported this.. I think it might be a regression bug.

alti likes this.
  4. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

There is a regression bug in which the gravity for cloths seems to be set to some random point of the world instead of down. I believe this is the issue tracker for it, but I haven't seen any other updates. It's reproducible with just a standard plane in 2019.2, with all the default settings. You'll see that it goes flying and basically ignores external accel from the Cloth component options. I talked about it some more here. Vote on the issue tracker link if you can, because this basically renders cloth unusable for me and I'd like to have it set up as soon as possible...

Zombietron, alti and ElasticSea like this.
  5. alti

alti

I voted on it. I hope they fix this soon. I have characters that power up with cloth on them, so it looks weird now that the cloth doesn't do anything. weird that my 2018 version tackled this just fine, but suddenly it's not a feature.

6. alti

alti

latest version of unity has it back in now.

7. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

There are other cloth bugs in 2019.2 that are currently being fixed for 2019.3, are you sure it's not one of those? What are the symptoms you're having?

8. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

:( Sad times for cloth users

9. alti

alti

While I desire a little more out of unity's cloth simulation, the issue I wrote about is definitely back in the engine and working just fine to simulate wind.

10. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

I'm unable to verify since I'm still on 2019.2.6f1. The Cloth gravity bug is fixed for me but there are still a multiple of other bugs which might be related. If 2019.3 hits with fixes for the other stuff I'll check it out and see if the gravity issue was also reintroduced. If so I'll send another bug report. We really need this stuff to be sorted out before the year comes to a close.