Search Unity

close to giving up on unity. basic box colliders don't work

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by multiplyer, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. multiplyer

multiplyer

unity is just unintuitive trash in many aspects. box colliders are working at complete random in my game at the moment. unity sucks

can anyone help me out? I used the exact same scripts and inspector stuff as I have in a previous app which worked but doesn't on this

unity is unpredictable and just not good. I'll be looking to switch to something else. many other devs hate unity, too

2. mgear

mgear

need some more info of what is not working..
    and info about scripts (what code doesnt work, how they are moved..), screenshots, demo/video etc.

3. multiplyer

multiplyer

I have two gameobjects with box colliders. the one the moving one is colliding with is set to trigger and is tagged "doorstop"

the other has a box collider which isn't set to trigger and has a rigidbody

this is the script attached it:

Code (CSharp):
    1. void OnTriggerEnter (Collider other){
    3.         if (other.tag == "doorstop") {
    5.             auto1 autos = GetComponent<auto1>();
    6.             autos.speed = new Vector3 (0, 0, 0);
    7.             autos.direction = new Vector3(0, 0, 0);
    8.             Debug.Log ("Test");
    10.         }
    11.     }
    12. }
    The debug works but it it completely at random whether it stops at zero. complete random

4. flonch

flonch

Your original post told us more about how you dislike Unity than what the actual issue is, or providing relevant information. If you're so convinced that Unity is trash, why are you even here on the forums and continuing to use Unity?...

I'm not sure if I'm misreading what you wrote, but are you saying that you have the OnTriggerEnter code attached to the game object which has isTrigger set to false?

BenZed likes this.
  5. SteveJ

SteveJ

Isn't the most likely answer that YOU'RE doing something wrong? And yet, you immediately not only blame the tool, but proceed to talk S*** about it like a child throwing a tantrum. I can see you getting real far in your game development pursuits.

zombiegorilla and BenZed like this.
  6. mgear

mgear

how is the object moved? what the auto1 script does with speed, direction values?

7. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Game Development isnt for everyone. Unity is one of the easier ones.

Take a look at game maker. It might be more suitable for you.

Kiwasi and BenZed like this.
  8. BenZed

BenZed

Upload your scene, so we can take a look at what you're doing wrong.

9. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

laughable. Any dev that hates Unity is either a total noob, or has used more advanced engines (and is highly capable).

I dont think youll find many middle of the road game dev's have a problem with it.

BenZed and flonch like this.
  10. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

All of your posts show a misunderstanding of unity and programming, as well as a high level of frustration. So there is no point blaming unity. If you decide to move to other engine like unreal, you will just hit a different set of problems due to lack of understanding and getting frustrated too fast.

Also Unity has its faults, i been working with unity as well as unreal for several years in both a professional and hobby setting. But your aren't doing anything advanced enough to hit any of its shortcomings, and every other engine i used has its own set of shortcomings as well.

Also people in the community are willing to help you learn, you just got to drop the attitude. Clearly state the problem you are having with its code, as well as what you have done to try and resolve the problem. If you do this people will gladly help you.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    BenZed likes this.
  11. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

I don't know why I'm replying this, but anyway...
    Pro-tip: Intermittent behaviour in most cases is the result of mixing logic in Update() and FixedUpdate(). And this is something that happens in all games and game engines whenever you mess with physics/fixed ticking. Noobs like EA generally make physics stepping framerate-dependent (by effectively 'locking' them, i.e.: updating the physics in the main rendering loop) what results in the abominations that are specially noticeable in their racing games :p.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    ThermalFusion likes this.
  12. multiplyer

multiplyer

I would insult you but you've had absolutely no success in development and never will so there's little point

also, you're from maybe the most irrelevant country in the history of the universe, new zealand

13. LaneFox

LaneFox

If you are having problems with something, post a thread asking for help along with relevant info.

You're expected to act in a professional manner here. Acting in a childish manner (like this thread) you won't get any help, instead you'll stir up a rage thread.

14. BenZed

BenZed

What a bunch of immature nonsense. You really arn't very good at solving problems.

elias_t and flonch like this.
  15. flonch

flonch

Wow, you're so immature. The fact that you can be so disrespectful, and continue to post threads looking for assistance blows my mind.
    Grow up.

16. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

not a fan of rugby then?

17. StarManta

StarManta

Don't feed the troll, guys.

And if he's not a troll, please let him go find another engine he can fail to learn to use.

BenZed likes this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've banned him too. But only for a week. If he acts up again, press that little report button.

passerbycmc and BenZed like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.