Search Unity

Games Clive 'N' Wrench - 3D Action Platformer

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ClassicGameJunkie, Feb 20, 2014.

1. CuriousScribbles

CuriousScribbles

Amazing progress. Wow.

2. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Thanks!

Whoops, again I have neglected this thread... apologies! During my absence I have been hard at work however! I finished a large chunk of Iceceratops, complete with big traversable dino skeleton!

I've also been plugging away on The Great Wen, finally finishing the main square and getting plenty done on several offshoot areas such as Maudlin Molloy's pub and Daucus' factory!

zenGarden likes this.
  3. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Apologies for the near radio silence for the last couple of weeks, it was all for good reason though! Finally, after much resistance and many headaches Clive 'N' Wrench is finally up and running on the latest version of Unity. Obviously this has allowed for many big improvements including a sizeable performance boost, anti aliasing, ambient occlusion, depth of field and more! Not to mention that should we ever be in the position to make the much requested jump to certain console platforms, our engine now supports it!

4. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

The streets of The Great Wen are a dangerous place.... especially when Dr Daucus' Imps have stolen a carriage!

5. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Just a small update, the carriage is now a working hazard in-game!

6. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

The last couple of weeks have been spent on a number of exciting things! CnW had it's first proper Alpha Test (for Patreon backers). The feedback has been fantastic, and people seem to be really liking it too; I'm much more confident that things are moving in the right direction now!

Beside that I've also been revisiting and polishing up Ancient Greece Trap:

And finally got round to sorting out CnW's hub world, Space Between Time. This time with a much more unique "fractured time" aesthetic and a soundtrack that cross-fades between 12 different versions of the same piece of music! This means that whichever era you're standing in within Space Between Time will use relevant instrumentation for that time period, but dynamically shift the main theme.

Video of the music transition: https://twitter.com/ClassicGJ/status/964898285294182400

7. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good update.

Unfortunatelly overall look is flat
    - Most ground textures are flat (no normal map)
    - Many materials and some cliff models rocks doesn't have normal map
    - No specular on materials to get more pop up effect, general lighting looks old school
    - some strange lighting color choice on some levels

Anyway, best graphics is not what makes a good games sometimes.

8. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Last post... February, blimey!

Well, development has indeed continued, despite this topic's neglect!

So the first thing to show is our shiny new trailer! I think it gives a fair overview of all the additions, changes and polish that the last few months have allowed for (including the jump to a much newer version of Unity and the switch to deferred lighting).

Short Form
    https://twitter.com/ClassicGJ/status/1062784860211892224

Long Form

As I hope that shows, there has been a lot of refinements for both differentiating each level's colour pallettes, as well as trying to make sure the art style of each level is unified. The idea being that although each level while feeling a part of CnW's larger world, should also feel distinct and interesting to explore. The fact that I can now post a screenshot from almost anywhere in each level, and have it be fairly obvious from which it hails is a big deal to me!

Additionally after releasing monthly builds to Patreon users, I've been able to refine all manner of things from controls, to camera and even certain aspects of level design. A major sticking point of this has been a better understanding of how to both guide the player, but also hide that fact that I am. Certain things like collectable paths showing hidden areas, cutscene cameras for certain in-game switches and adding small character touches have all helped this; and probably would not have come to mind if not for some fantastic feedback.

That's probably enough waffle for now!

magique, Starpaq2 and scottyboy805 like this.
  9. zenGarden

zenGarden

Is there some release date ?

10. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

I'm afraid not, no. I daren't set a deadline that I'm not confident I can make.

magique likes this.
  11. magique

magique

Progress looks amazing. I said it before and I'll say it again. This is far better than Pewka Laylee. You show that you really care about the platforming genre and are faithful to its roots. I look forward to seeing this released.

What platforms will it be on?