Search Unity

Games Clive 'N' Wrench - 3D Action Platformer

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ClassicGameJunkie, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Jim_West

Jim_West

Hey I greenlighted you, too.
    The game looks really cool, but the logo on steam looks a bit cheap.
    I would replace it if possible with something better looking.

2. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Hey, thanks! I appreciate that, and point taken I will look into that ASAP!

3. Razputin

Razputin

Have you considered making the game brighter? All the colors seem kinda plain, as opposed to something like Banjo-Kazooie nut's n bolt. idk I think it would just look better if the color popped more.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  4. Peter Ples

Peter Ples

Usually I'm not one to nitpick spelling but color pope I couldn't resist :)

ClassicGameJunkie and Razputin like this.
  5. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Hmnn I hadn't really considered it. It could be a problem with video compression, or maybe you're right and the game itself isn't "popping" enough, I'll look into it.

Also here's the new Greenlight trailer!

6. Jim_West

Jim_West

Looks really good, I shared the trailer on reddit.com/r/Unity3D/

7. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Hey, thanks I appreciate that!

8. BGIndustries

BGIndustries

Looks like a game nintendo 64 game, good work! Reminds me of some old games i used to play. Looking forward to more!

ClassicGameJunkie likes this.
  9. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

It's finally time! (see what I did there...)

As promised, here is the first playable alpha demo for Clive!

http://-rob-.itch.io/clive-the-stones-of-the-ancient-bunnies

Notes -

The game is in alpha, which means there are bugs and glitches galore, we are aware of many of them, but please feel free to let us know of any you find.

The HUD only works correctly and 720p (1280x720), the game will run in other resolutions but may not function correctly.

The setting "Ideal" has higher resolution textures and dynamic shadows, if these cause slowdown and frame drops please run it in "fast".

Only controllers are supported at the moment, this will not work with a Keyboard! (Although keyboard support will be available in the final game).

Have Fun!

Razputin likes this.
  10. Peter Ples

Peter Ples

Cool! I'll try it when I get home!

11. Jim_West

Jim_West

Hey, I tried the demo a bit.
    I like the game so far, but the controls really need some improvement.

As a Zelda gamer, I thought the camer fix was on the left trigger, but it was on the right, which felt really wired (its always on the left on all zelda games).

Also the other buttons like flying etc. dont felt like in other games, it was like every control was on a different button then i suspected.

But the biggest problem is the movment itself. The camera rotates to slow, the stick is inverted, and it doesnt feel like its responding to the input how it should. Its hard to discribe, an example: If you stand still and rotate, its looks really wired and feels like the whole character moves a bit back, even if it should stand still.

Also that turning left / right while walking / jumping feels a bit strange.

I would recommend you look into the Unity beta assets third person character controller, its really responding well to all buttons: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21064

12. zenGarden

zenGarden

I confirm the joystick control is really weird and not responsive.
    Has the game been tested before the demo release ?

13. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

These control issues are very odd. The demo was tested with multiple controllers including both wireless and wired 360 pads, 2 ps3 controllers and a third party controller with no issues. As of yet I'm unable to replicate the issues myself, and thus renders it very difficult to come up with a solution.

Button mapping I think is a personal choice thing, the defaults are how I found to be comfortable, but they are rebindable in the launch window.

14. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Very nice! I've never seen this before but it was fun to go from the first videos and trace the progress up until now. I'll make sure to play the demo when I get the time!

ClassicGameJunkie likes this.
  15. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Exciting stuff, our Kickstarter just launched! Plenty of extra info on the game plus a spanking new trailer, playable demo and a bunch of cool rewards!

Read more on the game and back us here -

Razputin likes this.
  16. Razputin

Razputin

Needs pc controls in the demo :'c

17. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Awesome, looks great guys! I don't have much to give (running my own Kickstarter at the moment!) but I backed it and shared it. Best of luck getting funded!

18. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

@Razputin - Sorry! We focused on getting controllers working from the get-go as statistically work best for this genre. But we are working on keyboard support!

@SullyTheStrange - Every little helps, thank you!

19. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

A quick video showing how the hub world's music will be structured. In brief each unlockable section will be themed to the time zone it contains due to the leaking effect of time travel.

There is a central hub theme which dynamically transitions to 10 era-themed variants as Clive 'n' Wrench pass into different zones.

SullyTheStrange likes this.
  20. zenGarden

zenGarden

Why you don't do like Mario World 3D and other games ? Some representative 3D models for each map.
    Or make a real 3D hub like Mario Galaxy ?
    It's too lightweight.

21. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

I think you may have misunderstood. That video is only showing how music transitions work. The actual hub world of the game is a full playable level!

zenGarden likes this.
  22. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Don't worry. He's like that. Actually your video does show something from Super Mario games like Yoshi's Island where the music changed as you went to the different worlds. Cool feature.

23. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

That's one of my favorite touches from Banjo-Kazooie, the way the music changed throughout the hub. Thanks for including it! :D

24. Razputin

Razputin

Your kickstarter will probably not reach its goal which is unfortunate. But it seems like you've already got the vast majority of the work out of the way. You should probably just move on to greenlight/wii shop and give up on kickstarter.

25. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

You underestimate how much work is left! Additionally, a large portion of the Kickstarter funds would go towards the development kit for the Wii U. Without it I can't physically afford the thing!

Here's the first proper shot of our Victorian London level, probably the most atmospheric one yet!

Razputin and SullyTheStrange like this.
  26. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Definitely loving the look of that one! I hate to ask but what's your plan if the Kickstarter doesn't work out?

27. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Thanks!

Well if that were to happen it'd be business as usual. It'll take much longer to do, and I'll have to drop certain features. Unfortunately I'll also have to drop WiiU support until either I can somehow find the devkit money myself, or I can sell enough PC,Linux or Mac copies. It'll be a shame but it does seem to be heading that way, I guess CnW is just a dream not many other people share!

28. Razputin

Razputin

I'd just sell on pc/mac/linux use cash from that to buy wii u stuff. Or i'd just pass on Wii U entirely and reinvest that money into expanding what you already have. Worse case scenario is a release on Steam only, which isn't really that bad anyway so, you should be alright.

29. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Pretty much along the lines I'm thinking. However we're still only about half way through Greenlight on steam...

Here's Maudlin Molloy's Pub. They have a bit of a rat problem, but I get the feeling it won't last!

30. Razputin

Razputin

I would of thought this had already been greenlighted but I guess not, well I just voted for it.

31. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Finally got the time to play the demo, it's pretty fun! Certainly needs polish in certain areas, which is understandable of course, but I can really see the potential in it. And the throwback to Banjo's Clanker was great!

32. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Oh cool, glad you liked it. Still working on that polish! Haha yes Canker and his painful gums :p

Been working some more on our Victorian London level, getting there with the atmosphere now too!

Oh and to go with their thematic costumes is a replacement to Wrench's banana leaf!

And here's a couple more shots of London's sewer system.

33. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Awesome, love the newspaper touch. I think swapping their costumes in each level is a great idea, going the extra mile by replacing the leaf too is perfect!

34. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

It's been far too long!

So with the amazing help (and artwork) of the talented Luigi Lucarelli, Clive and Wrench are now looking cuter than ever!

With this change of course comes updated in-game models! As it turns out, my skills have much improved since I first modelled Clive back in the day, and as such this new model (even with the fur shader) actually weights less than the old one if you can believe it!

Of course to follow soon will be Wrench's new model as well.

Razputin likes this.
  35. zenGarden

zenGarden

That's lot better and lot more attractive.
    I hope you'll use detailled textures for levels suitting new characters graphics, i mean textures like Mario World 3D for example.

36. Huknar

Huknar

You've come a long way since your MediEvil 3 days, and since the early concept of this game. Looking through the thread I thought "I recognize this some how..." and then I remembered it was you, under a different name.

Congratulations on making it so far! It looks amazing.

37. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Thanks zenGarden, yeah I'm currently experinmenting with making sure everything fits!

Wow, hey Huknar I'm surprised anyone's been following for that long! Glad you're still on board!

Progress continues with Clive and Wrench's furry new looks, about 70% of the animation is now done! Luckily I was able to base a lot of it off of their old looks (thanks to 3DS max's biped system).

I've been studying a lot of Pixar animation, in an effort to bring more life into the characters and find the balance between realistic and cartoony. Focusing especially on subtle eye movements.

Animation test video here!

Razputin likes this.
  38. zenGarden

zenGarden

The animation is great. We need a new demo now :D

39. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Hehe, all in good time!

Update time, showing off the finished new models for Clive and Wrench, some new fur and grass shaders, dynamic body parts and even some tweaked character controls!

[video]

GarBenjamin and IndieAner3d like this.
  40. Razputin

Razputin

Remember how I said the graphics didn't really pop for me? Well it appears you've started to fix that :) Looks WAY more appealing now. At least imo. Lookin forward to seeing more!

41. zenGarden

zenGarden

The animations are less speedy and they are more readable and smoother, that's good.
    I hope ennemies will get the same treatment.

42. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Good news indeed, I'm starting to streamline all of my processes now too, and I think the results are getting much better. Here's a preview of the level "Middle Age Crisis".

@zenGarden Glad you think so! They will indeed, and their AI has been tweaked to avoid the odd stuttering and shouting they had before!

43. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This is looking great. It looks like... a game! Some good fun. What is the ETA and is it for PC or is this a mobile game?

44. zenGarden

zenGarden

Awesome new lightening and textures are lot better if i remember well.
    Keep the good work.

45. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Glad you think so!

Here's a few more screens of the latest level "Middle Age Crisis". Clive's armour has low res cubemaps of each room, and so appears to properly reflect. Plus I'm really focusing on getting things like reverb, lighting and particles to help the atmosphere!

@GarBenjamin It's probably got about a year left of development. Release platforms so far are PC, Mac and Linux, but we're licensed for Wii U (pending devkit funds!)

46. zenGarden

zenGarden

did you remodel some interiors of exterior of the level or it is only new textures and lighthening ?
    It's looks good.

47. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Looks really great so far :D Didn't like how the characters looked before but now they look really cool and likable :) The only thing I noticed is that in the artwork Wrench is bigger than he is ingame compared to Clive... Not really a problem I guess as no one else seems to have noticed it ^^'

48. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

@zenGarden This is a whole new level, but I have been improving on both textures and lighting! Glad you think so!

@DSSiege11 Glad you think so, their characters are something I'd been struggling with for a long time, but I'm really happy how positively they've been received recently! Yes, he is a tiny bit smaller, but that's mainly for gameplay reasons (hitboxes etc).

49. flopshotQQ

flopshotQQ

For some reason I'm reminded of "Bugs Bunny: Lost in Time."

50. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

I loved Lost in Time!

It's been a while, but that just means there's quite a lot to go over. So, sit back grab a coffee and relax...

First up, we've had another couple of our main characters redesigned by our favourite artist Luigi Lucarelli! Done in the same style as our titular duo, we see both our evil villain Dr Daucus, and Clive's time-machine-creating cousin Prof' Nancy Merricarp! Our cast is really starting to take shape!

Next up, art. For a while now, I've been wrestling with exactly how to make the games art work. Up until recently things were pretty lackluster, but then our recent character overhaul and the inclusion of dynamic fur happened; this gave me the kick I needed to overhaul the in-game art and match it up to the characters and the style I'm aiming for. As such we've now settled on a much cleaner detailed looking set of environments; aiming more for a good PS2 style aesthetic as opposed to the PS1/N64 style we've had previously. This has resulted in a much more appealing and interesting set of environments to traverse.

The last big thing today is Clive and Wrench's moves, and by extension their animations. Our dynamic duo can now double jump! Yes indeed, gone is the need for the glitchy ledge grabbing, and in comes a new more acrobatic and fluid feeling double jump. Moves can be mixed too, you can double jump into a glide, jump once, glide, and then jump again... heck you can even jump, belly flop, jump and then glide! In order for these new features to work well, it is important that our animation is up to scratch! There are now thousands of extra frames of animation, created in such a way that moves blend together as seamlessly as possible. All of these things are really moving Clive 'N' Wrench beyond what I could have imagined when starting the project all those years ago!

Here's a quick video covering the above:

Razputin and SullyTheStrange like this.