Search Unity

CLIMBING SYSTEM - [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by diasrodrigo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. SamRock

SamRock

Thanks for the new update. Will wait for it.
    As I mentioned, I never had this issue with the previous version. Here is a video recorded few months ago. The colliders have always remained the same.
    I will still look into it

2. Juttestad_Productie

Juttestad_Productie

Dear Dias,,

I've just bought ur package but as I import it I get a bunch of errors. Providing any support?

Thanks in advance

3. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone
    This week I'm super busy, but I'll try to answer as best as I can.

There was a little change in this side transition. As you can see, in the new version the animation was changed, and with that I also changed how character will be turned. I believe it's causing the problems you are facing. I'll try to improve this code. But the only "solution" I believe is good for now, is avoid collisions between player and the rock.

I believe you have imported package folder. Create a new project and then, import Climbing system without importing Package manager and ProjectSettings folders. (In the newest version, Unity ask if you want to update package. Select no).

SamRock likes this.
  4. ChickenHero

ChickenHero

If a character tries to walk through a step that is lower than the height at which StepUpAbility is started, the character will be caught by the step and cannot pass.
    In the demo scene, if you make a step with a height of 0.2, you can see that the character gets caught in the step.

If VerticalLinecastEndPoint is set to a low value, the StepUp animation is played even at low steps, so it cannot move smoothly.
    Is there a way to allow me to pass a step that is lower than the height of StepUpAbility?

5. SamRock

SamRock

Thank you Rodrigo! Really appreciate your time and efforts. I will test this out tomorrow. Just wanted to check if you managed to include the changes to 2.5D mode, where you change or add Axis for XY?

diasrodrigo likes this.
  6. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I tested here with 0.2f of height, and it worked for my character. Is your capsule using 0.3f of radius. Just for understanding purposes, if you have a capsule with a radius of 0.3f , you can walk over a step until 0.3f. More than this you get stucked. Maybe with your capsule is 0.2f you will be not able to walk over.

Sorry, I forgot this feature. I will add it. Thanks for notifying me

SamRock and ChickenHero like this.
  7. ChickenHero

ChickenHero

Added UpperLayer and set animation to grab while jumping (play when unable to climb).
    However, AnimatorManager changes the UpperLayer weight to 0 during execution.
    Why is the UpperLayer weight changed to 0 in AnimatorManager?
    Is there a setting that does not change the weight to 0?

8. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

In the Animator Manager, this layer is set to 0 because it's an integration for Shooter System. But you can remove the following code in the Animator Manager:

upload_2019-9-17_7-0-53.png

9. ChickenHero

ChickenHero

I found m_AnimatorManager.SetAnimatorState and m_AnimatorManager.DisableLayer and was able to adjust the weight.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  10. Low_on_Mana

Low_on_Mana

Hi! Big fan of the controller, but was wondering, since wall climbing only supports 90 flat 90 degree walls, if the following would be possible? It's a "rock climbing" type system where depending on the angle of the geometry below you, the walking animation is changed. This way, we can allow the character to walk up to 89 degree walls while only having to change the walking animation. I love the ledges and stuff you have, but since my environment is more organic/natural, it's incredibly time consuming to seed ledges everywhere in the map and would greatly prefer if it were done by the movement controller.

Attached Files:

SamRock and diasrodrigo like this.
  11. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @xenogodemperorofthehive

Thank you for your idea. I'll study it to check if it's possible to do in the future versions. Interesting situation. Thanks

12. SamRock

SamRock

No problem! Also the feature to turn off Auto-Crawl. Could you tell how this currently work? My character seems to start crawl even at the tiniest curve above him! :D

Rallix likes this.
  13. Rallix

Rallix

Yep. Mine too. Especially next to walls. :)

SamRock likes this.
  14. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

You can set Auto Crawl to false here:
    upload_2019-9-21_8-16-4.png

How it works: when Auto Crawl is enabled, system casts a sphere from ground to top and check if there is an obstacle for character. If distance is to small, character starts crawlling. Actualy this sphere radius is the same of the capsule radius. In the next update I'll change it to avoid some undesired situations, decreasing a bit the sphere radius. Or maybe add this property in the Inspector.

15. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello. I submitted today a new update and I've added the option for XY movement in 2.5D. I also fixed a bug with Crawl ability

Rallix and SamRock like this.
  16. hedgefield

hedgefield

This is a great update Rodrigo, everything is very smooth and I like the new abilities. Looking forward to using it in my next project!

17. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

This new update is available today.

Thank you!

18. SamRock

SamRock

Hey @diasrodrigo Thanks for updates. Really appreciate you listening to our feedback and updating the Asset on time. I hope and wish you more sale :)

diasrodrigo likes this.
  19. ChickenHero

ChickenHero

The character may stop moving before the character's collider hits the wall.
    Why is the collider stopped moving before colliding?
    Is there a way to move until the collider hits the wall?
    CharacterCollider.PNG

diasrodrigo likes this.
  20. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo How do I use your InputManager to capture a keypress to Toggle , for example, my FlashLight ? Do I need to add a new class or capture them separately or can it be added to your script?

diasrodrigo likes this.
  21. Rallix

Rallix

Hello diasrodrigo; and thank you for all the great updates lately. :)
    One thing – would it please be possible to fix the warnings which appear in newer Unity versions (probably 2018.3+)?
    Warnings.png
    Some of these come from the [SerializeField] “bug“ which will hopefully be fixed at some point; the rest stems from unassigned/unused private variables.

22. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Yes, there is a way to fix it. In Third Person System script, you can decrease or remove the following value and check if it works:
    upload_2019-10-5_9-2-46.png

You can get a reference for Unity Input Manager in your Toggle Light script and then use it. Let's suppose you use input as the name for UnityInputManager object in your script and use Extra Action Button 01 for toggle light. Then you can call:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if(input.action01.WasPressed){
    2.     // Toggle Light
    3.      light.enabled = !light.enabled;
    4. }
    Remember to fill Extra Action Button in the Unity Input Manager inspector of your character:
    upload_2019-10-5_9-10-32.png

It really annoys me too. I didn't know this issue was because SerializeField. thank you to share the links for this topic. I'll try to remove these issues.

ChickenHero, SamRock and Rallix like this.
  23. Rallix

Rallix

Yes, in my own scripts, I can usually make the warnings go away by assigning a default value, or simply:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [SerializeField] GameObject prefab = default;

24. thedetective456

thedetective456

Man I just imported your climbing system. But there are missing aniamtions. What to do?

Edit : I found a file having animations download list. I done exactly as same as that, but when I hit play except vaulting nothing works.
    Half of the character just goes into the ground. And I can do nothing else

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  25. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Which version of Unity are you using?

There is a bug with newer versions of Unity that mess all prefabs and animators. Because of that I submit 2 packages, one for 2018 versions and other for 2019

26. thedetective123

thedetective123

I am using Unity 2018.3.4f

27. thedetective456

thedetective456

Edit : I found that animations in the animator is not assigned. Just send me a animator that you have assigned animations. I think it may solve the issue.

28. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

The version from 2018 I used was 2018.3.14f, I think that's the reason that break animator. I will send you by message the animator.

29. SamRock

SamRock

This happens to me too. If possible could you please give us a mapping of all the Animations used in the Anim controller (especially the newly added moves)? Just to be sure I am using the right ones.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  30. thedetective456

thedetective456

What message?

31. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I'll make a map for animations and I'll try to share with you.

Direct message here in the forum.

I have recently updated the asset to remove these bugs. If you still find something related to this, please, let me know! Thanks for your feedback.

SamRock likes this.
  32. thedetective456

thedetective456

My character doesn't climb objects but performs animations, he doesn't jump from ledge to ledge but performs animations. He doesn't vault aswell. But default chracter does everything

33. jawadkhan9026

jawadkhan9026

Make sure your capsule collider has the same height and radius as the default character. I had the same issue I figured out that a script was using these parameters to perform calculations.

34. thedetective456

thedetective456

Eventhough it's not working. I just made the capsule collider's radius and height same as default character. Eventhough he just performs animations. I see that capsule collider and Rigidbody.useGravity are being set to false whenever I vault or climb.

I have almost gone through complete code to figure out what's happening, but didn't get a single clue to solve it.

35. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@thedetective456 did you check in your climbing script if you are using root motion? You can see it in the Animations section in the inspector.

Did you try to build another new character and see if it works? As default character works, I believe that some default parameter were changed when you create your character. Please let me know if my suggestions work.

36. thedetective456

thedetective456

No, i checked again the default character. Now even he doesn't vault, or climb to next ledge. I don't understand what's wrong.... My plans are also getting affected now. Sometimes I wonder why did you make it so advanced, even the third person controller is connected with climb system, it's really hard to implement with my third person controller. The best way was to use transitions. If you set a bool "Climb" in animator and set it true from locomotion to climb animations would have helped a lot to implement with our own controller. Well if I send you my third person controller, can you do something with it and help me use this system with it?

37. David5988

David5988

I liked the demo and would like to purchase it but I have a few questions.

• Can I add for example, a swimming move to the existing package or more extra moves?

• Can I use this package with another system packages like Game Creator?

38. SamRock

SamRock

I can answer the first question:

Yes you can add a Swimming State to this package. Add a new state is very simple and explain in one of the videos posted on @diasrodrigo youtube channel.
    You will however need to write your own swimming logic (Would love to see this!) and bring in your own animation

Check out my game where I use this Asset with Swimming state:

39. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Which Third Person Controller do you refer?
    Did you check if your character is set up as humanoid?
    Did you try build it with the editor window, like this tutorial:

Unfortunately no. There is nothing ready to work with Game Creator. Maybe you can integrate both together, but I cannot say that it will really work.
    And as @SamRock said, yes, you can create new abilities. Take a look at this tutorial:

SamRock likes this.
  40. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

41. thedetective456

thedetective456

Yes I did exactly the same. But I am not able to figure out a way to implement it with my controller. I saw that video you showcased how to implement with invector controller. But still more confused. Just need a little help.

Still that problem is not solved. I guess something is happening at wrong time from rigidbody and capsule collided.

42. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@thedetective456 actually Climbing System doesn't support Invector integration anymore, even third Person Controller from Opsive. If you are using one of them, you'll have to adapt it by code. Although, if you are using a personal third person controller you made, you'll need to find a way to disable my scripts when using your controller.

Just a tip, if you disable the ThirdPersonSystem script, all abilities will stop running and you will be able to run your third person controller without problems. And, when you want to run climbing abilities, you can disable your third person controller and let only climbing abilities run.

43. thedetective456

thedetective456

It seems like a good idea but is not efficient. So I just now decided to make a separate climbing mechanism for my character. However I'll keep your scripts as reference. Just redesigning existing thing.

I am still happy that I got a reference. When I have it I can just see what's happening and implement it really quick. Hoping to complete within a couple of weeks.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  44. NvrDn

NvrDn

Hey,
    Any way to tweak the code, to put my own walking/running/idle animations and sync them, if such, their timeline duration is much longer than your pre-programmed ones, without causing conflicts?
    (eg: One animation is running; It lasts 15 seconds because is a special mocap, which has more unique running acts in it.)

diasrodrigo likes this.
  45. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello. You can replace the animations inside Animator. There is a sub-state called Grounded. All locomotion animations are placed there.

upload_2019-10-12_9-40-43.png

upload_2019-10-12_9-41-3.png

SamRock likes this.
  46. David5988

David5988

Just bought the asset and making a few test. How can I make the character vault automaticaly?

diasrodrigo likes this.
  47. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @David5988

Open the Vault script and comment lines 13 and 14

upload_2019-10-13_16-48-17.png

David5988 and SamRock like this.
  48. David5988

David5988

Thanks!

I am also developing a Tomb Raider/Prince of Persia Game. Is there any prediction of the push/pull ability and interaction ability?

diasrodrigo likes this.
  49. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello. I will try to develop these abilities on January

50. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @diasrodrigo !!!
    What demos do you have are from the latest version of your asset?
    I see that they put 2.x and the latest version is 3.02
    A demo with the latest version or an evaluation copy would be appreciated since I still have doubts about buying it.

Regards