Search Unity

CLIMBING SYSTEM - [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by diasrodrigo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone. To try avoid this side climbing problem, I'm working on a way to predict the jump force to reach the ledge. This will allow rotate character to face to ledge and I beleive it can help to solve problems like this. I'm still developing it. You can see it working bellow:

osss, SamRock, Dupat and 2 others like this.
  2. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

In this test, seems that character is behaving better to grab on side. I could not grab ledge from side. I'm still testing all possibilities

3. witcher101

witcher101

when will this update will be released

4. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I don't have a deadline yet. But I will keep you updated.

kylewetton likes this.
  5. SamRock

SamRock

Amazing!! You are a math genius! Looking forward for the update!

diasrodrigo likes this.
  6. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I submitted a new update today that solves the problem of grab ledges on side. This update doesn't have prediction yet. This new update will help all costumers tha are facing problems with side grab on ledges, that's the reason I already submitted it.

Dupat and SamRock like this.
  7. SamRock

SamRock

Thank you so much!! Really appreciate your commitment to keep the asset updated, and responding to all our requests and feedback :)

diasrodrigo likes this.
  8. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I have extended this prediction for all climb jumps directions. Take a look at the video:

The new update with side detection fixed was released today. It doesn't have the rpediction, but I also added a function to cause damage to player from high falls. You can find it in the documentation

Virtuadreamer, Dupat and SamRock like this.
  9. loldi

loldi

hey @diasrodrigo, I've been messing around with customizing some of the feel of the controller and I was wondering if there was a neat way to enable mid-air movement when the character is jumping. I'm hoping to be able to control the character in the air, as opposed to being such on the trajectory of the original jump.

I also wonder if it is possible to immediately change direction when the character is moving, rather than 'rotating around'. Basically pivoting immediately in place, rather than the current method. Thank you!

10. KLWN

KLWN

hello @diasrodrigo what type of Raycast is the red one facing down 90° and where can I modify it?

11. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

To control in the air, Go to JumpAbility script and add this code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public override void FixedUpdateAbility()
    2.         {
    3.             base.FixedUpdateAbility();
    4.             m_Engine.RotateToDirection();
    5.             AddVelocityToJump();
    6.         }
    Go to ThirdPersonSystem script and comment the code bellow:

upload_2019-6-6_13-29-38.png

It will allow air control.

I believe this rayscast is from Camera Controller. When camera found an obstacle it draws a line like this in red.

KLWN likes this.
  12. loldi

loldi

Ok, I added both of those changes but it only allows me to do a very small rotation in the air, rather than full control. Is there something that I may have missed?

Here is a short clip to show you what the result is:

13. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Go to Third Person System script in the Inspector and change parameters of turning:

upload_2019-6-7_10-16-19.png

Increasing these values will make your character turn faster.

14. KLWN

KLWN

hi @diasrodrigo I am currently trying to access different vault animation states, chosen randomly. The idea is that the animation is chosen randomly between 2 (or more) animations. So if I vault it should play the standard Animation, next time another animation. The string format is correct (see log screenshot below) but the vault script is not using the string and I get an error. If I choose the Vault 2 state manually in the inspector UI, everything works fine.

Can you please help me?

I created a second state named "Vault 2" with a different Animation. In the Animator I also created a second animation state.

... this Animator State is working correct if I select Vault 2 manually in the Inspector

The Log shows that the string format is correct given out: "Climb.Vault" and "Climb.Vault 2"

... but the Vault Script is not using it and give me an error :(

15. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

In the Vault ability script, override the method GetEnterState().
    It returns the state you should use. You can randomize it and then, return the state you want. You don't need to change nothing more in the scripts.

This is the current GetEnterState:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. /// <summary>
    2.         /// Method to set enter state.
    3.         /// Can be overwritten to start more than one animation
    4.         /// </summary>
    5.         /// <returns>Name of the state</returns>
    6.         public virtual string GetEnterState() { return m_EnterState; }
    Instead of returning only m_EnterState, you can randomize your state.

16. KLWN

KLWN

in the VaultAbility.cs Script I do not have the GetEnterState() method?!

diasrodrigo likes this.
  17. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

This method inherits from ThirdPersonAbility. Vault has this method. Do something like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public override string GetEnterState()
    2. {
    3. string state = RAndomStateName; // Put your logic here
    5. return state;
    6. }

SamRock and KLWN like this.
  18. KLWN

KLWN

okay, so it kinda works besides the new animation need to be edited to match the obstacles, the code looks like this...

but after some time (see video in the end) the player randomly falls, not sure why he is doing this now, it works great without the new code.

19. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Check if your Rigidbody is freezing rotation:

upload_2019-6-10_9-52-33.png

KLWN likes this.
  20. KLWN

KLWN

looks like it got resetted somehow

21. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Freeze Z rotation and it will not happen anymore.

KLWN likes this.
  22. KLWN

KLWN

@diasrodrigo is there any way to temporarly deactivate the Jump Button? I would like to deactivate Jumping as long as the player entered a box trigger area. I have setup everything and the box trigger works but i dont know how to deactivate Jumping.

23. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Do you want only block jumping or any interaction with jum button?

24. KLWN

KLWN

Figured it out thanks :) One more thing, how is the automatically crouch function triggered? Sometimes the player automatically crouches and sometimes it does not work. How can I adjust it?

25. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

In the Crouch ability, take a look at IsFreeAbove() method. It's a simple method that cast to up to find an obstacle. All references come from Capsule Collider, you can change some values there.

26. play_unity729

play_unity729

presale question, can be integrated with a player that it's not on the scene? because the player character and avatar it's spawn on scene using script

27. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

You can create a prefab and instantiate it when you want.

28. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone!
    I would like to share with you a build working with Physics Math for Climb Jumps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mekqm7bfigz1btw/Climbing with Math.zip?dl=0

You can test and give your feedback. I will really appreciate this. To this new version of Climbing System I will probably make an upgrade to the asset, and increase the price a little, because I have spent a good time to make it possible. I have also redesigned all ladder ability to allow using maths, and also all climbing abilities. I added new animations and I will try to add a wall running (not completely sure for this upgrade). For those who already have the asset, probably need to pay a smaller value around 10 dollars.

Hope you understand.

ikemen_blueD likes this.
  29. westryder907

westryder907

But we already paid, bug tested and helped make the asset better? Why charge us again? That feels greedy.

30. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @westryder907
    Charge again is a possibility, I'm not sure about that yet. I have assets that publishers also make some upgrades and we have to pay again to get the new features. We do this sometimes because of the work we spend to create new features. But, of course, I will add more than just a math calculation for jump. I'm planning to add support for mobile, and possibly a wall running ability, push ability. All this features cost me time and really hard work. For example, all the math features I already spent 1 month and it's not completely done. I understand your point of view, because I'm a costumer too with some assets, and when publishers make an upgrade we don't want to pay again, but looking for the publisher side, and I'm one too, I understand they have spent lot of time, hard working to make our development easier.

Just an information: since I released the asset, I made a total of 16 updates. All this updates come with no costs for users, including the update that came with a new editor and inspector, that I spent really good time to do.

I'm not completely sure about charge again, but above are some reasons that make me think about make it.
    I'm being very honest and transparent, because I think this is the right way. But all of you can give your opinion about it and I will hear all. Thank you.

31. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

I'm okay for the $10 upgrade as long as there have upcoming cool updates, more abilities. I'm waiting Botw Climbing style, but so far only Invector controller offers it.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  32. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Wall running ability is being developed for the new version. You can take a look bellow:

Dupat and KLWN like this.
  33. witcher101

witcher101

Ending needs to be worked on, it should be smooth

diasrodrigo likes this.
  34. KLWN

KLWN

Hi @diasrodrigo is there any chance to include a second Player, basically 2 players control their player via xbox one pad, the camera is static.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  35. Rallix

Rallix

I gave the demo a try and it's great. The detection seems to work better and overall it feels more fluent. I believe it must have taken a lot of time and effort.
    I especially like the new jumping animation – I was about to say the old one looked unrealistic because it has a single mid-air pose. The new one is fine and looks better when you make a lot of consecutive jumps. Perhaps you could jump with the leg which is currently in the front, instead of always the same leg (= mirror animation when the left leg is in front of the right leg).
    Perhaps you could add crawling as well (if "crouch" isn't low enough to get through a narrow gap). I think Mixamo has both crawling forward and backwards animation.

In the demo, the arm placement is a bit off when you land from a greater height – there's a gap between the arm and the surface. But it probably could be fixed by fiddling with the ability parameters…
    Arm.png

On the topic of upgrade price – well, I bought the asset fairly recently after a long search for a good, versatile climbing system which lets you set up the obstacles in a way you want without fixed shapes or distances – and this system also has a lot of abilities on top of that… so I value it a lot and look forward to future updates.
    Therefore I'm more than willing to pay the upgrade price, I just hope the asset won't eventually slip into a semi-annual subscription and upgrade prices will remain rare occurrences marking important progress in the asset (which this update definitely seems to be).

I'd also like to ask you if you could test the demo with a character of different proportions because as I said earlier in the thread, it's currently optimized for a 1.8m tall, slim character and it's hard to set up your own character.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    SamRock and diasrodrigo like this.
  36. KLWN

KLWN

@diasrodrigo hello again, can you please tell me how to add a second playable Character? I looked for hours and I am unable to get it to work :(

37. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@KLWN , unfortunately, I don't have a definitive answer. I believe you have to change scripts for camera controller. About controller, you can set different buttons for the other character using UnityInputManager script attached to your character.

I really appreciate your feddback. I will add a crawling ability too. It's not hard to do.
    I will try change the jump animation to jump accordingly leg, it will feel more realistic.
    Proportion characters is something I'm already doing, because I think it's important to adapt.

Thank you for your feedback.

Rallix likes this.
  38. SamRock

SamRock

Hey Rodrigo, I can completely understand the efforts and sleepless nights that go into creating something amazing like your Asset. However at the sametime I am in double thoughts about the extra price charged. I bought the climbing Asset just 4 months ago. I would support you by buying your other assets coz they are of great quality and value., Last week, I bought the Footstep asset. Then I have the "Shooter System" in pipeline. :)
    Again, I dont mind paying you an extra $10, because your support has been great. But again like @Rallix mentioned, I hope it does not turn into a regular upgrade price model. What will happen to people who didn't opt for an upgrade? I suggest you increase the price for new buyers immediately and let previous buyers support you in other ways :)

On that note, I loved the new math based demo, it felt smooth. I just need some more information. Does this mean you dont use Raycasts anymore?

Also I think the last update is creating some drops in FPS. When my character is idle I get around 90+ FPS, as soon as I press the keyboard to move, then FPS drops to 30-40 range. Could you please have a look? Will the Math version improve this?

39. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @SamRock
    Thank you for your feedback
    No, it will not become something like this.

I keep using raycast detection like before. I made small changes to side detection, but it still working with Raycasts.

Could you please send me a video about this?

40. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello
    I would like to share a new update about the new abilities. I have added Crawling ability and improved Wall Running. You can take a look at video bellow

I also added an opiton to change how to enter crouch ability. Before, it was entering only with input holding, now you can toggle crouch ability.

upload_2019-7-3_9-34-17.png

Dupat and SamRock like this.
  41. SamRock

SamRock

This is awesome! Is it released already??

42. unicat

unicat

Hi, is an fps camera working with this and your shooter module or only tps ?
    Thanks.

43. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Not yet. This is in development.

You can create a camera data to be used as FPS. Take a look at the video bellow:

If you set Z value to 0, camera will be positionated on the character.

SamRock likes this.
  44. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone. I made a new build with these improvements I've been showing in videos.
    You can download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ag2m1h60gd6d2qg/CS 3.0.zip?dl=0

Buttons are the same. To crawl you have to use E.
    To run on Wall you just need to jump to wall. Character only runs on blue walls.

45. unicat

unicat

Nice, Looks easy to use. Going to buy your two modules. Thank you.

46. Dupat

Dupat

Hello, I tested the demo and it's really very clean, you're doing a fabulous asset that really offers something different from the others with all the ability you add.
    About ability, I have some questions ^^ Your wallride is great, are you thinking about doing it as vertical as in Darksiders2?

here at 9:09
    Do you also think of making a melee addon?
    Thank you for your good work

diasrodrigo likes this.
  47. Rallix

Rallix

I think when you turn around to jump back, your movement feels a bit stiff; and your hand also lags a short while before positioning itself on the ledge.
    See in this video.
    The video also ends with a bug in which your character disappears if the camera gets too close.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  48. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I don't have a good animation to make this up running. Mixamo doesn't have a good one to use.

I have to adjust hand IK to avoid this. And the problem of character disapearing, I know, and I'm trying to find what is causing it. I didn't find yet

49. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone. It's been a while since my last post. I would like to share some news about Climbing System.

1. I have created a Wall Climb ability.
    upload_2019-7-19_12-19-9.png

2. Build Character window now have an option to set character height. It also adjust climbing parameters to fit character height:
    upload_2019-7-19_12-20-23.png

3. Abilities now have a new option for Input. You can set which input you want to enter the ability. It gives more control for users to setup custom characters:
    upload_2019-7-19_12-24-49.png
    With this option you can set if the ability should enter with an Input action or not, and also set which button is required to enter that ability.

4. I have also added 3 extra parameters to be used as Button if user wants to set a different button for some ability:
    upload_2019-7-19_12-29-15.png

User can set to use Extra action buttons in the ability settings:

upload_2019-7-19_12-30-26.png

5. I have also fixed the problem of Character disappering when camera gets too close.

That's are some news about Climbing System. Hope you like.

Dupat, SamRock and Rallix like this.
  50. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello. I'm making some new tutorial videos. I would like to share with you some that are already made. They are not listed on YouTube yet, because it's for the new version, but there a lot of things that are applied for the current version: