Search Unity

CLIMBING SYSTEM - [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by diasrodrigo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@chrisk actually I don't have an ETA for version 2. To be really transparent with you, I don't know if it worths the time and work spent on it. To make a new integration for version 2, I would have to re-learn the controller, adjust evrything, maybe I could spend time with new features for Climbing System.

Climbing Situations like Zelda is something I would like to add. The only problem is to find free animation for this. Mixamo has only one similar animation to add: https://www.mixamo.com/#/?page=3&query=wall
    But I don't think using this animation only would be good. Seems like climbing a ladder.

Wall Running is a feature I'm thinking to add soon.

Swimming, bar swing I also have the same issues as axe climbing, find good free animations.

Thank you for all your suggestions and feedbacks. It's important to make Climbing System always better.

2. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello
    I would like to announce that I've updated Climbing System to work with Unity 2019.
    I fixed this problem you mentioned @hedgefield
    Now it handles position inside FixedUpdate.
    I also add a new Window to update Input and Layes. So, you can uncheck Project Settings on import:

hedgefield and Dupat like this.
  3. hedgefield

hedgefield

That's really amazing, thanks! It works!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  4. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone.
    I have recently submitted a preview version for Shooter System that works with Climbing System. I still need to create a trailer, but I would like to share with you some screenshots and a playable demo. It takes almost a month to be released in the store. As soon as it's released, I will let you know.

Play this demo here.

ss01.jpg

ss07.jpg

ss08.jpg

ss09.jpg

ss06.jpg

As I mentioned before, it's still a preview version, but it's 85% or more, completed.
    Hope all of you like it.

5. SamRock

SamRock

This is awesome! Consider it bought! :)
    I love you man...as a big brother! :D

diasrodrigo likes this.
  6. kylewetton

kylewetton

Hi! Thanks for the asset, I've followed the setup steps as best I could.

1. Saved my Character.fbx from Mixamo in T-pose
    2. Configured for Humanoid rig
    3. Saved all animations in PDF and saved them exactly as mentioned in "Name of file" column
    4. Extracted Meta files, this created a "Animation 2" folder, I dragged those into the animation folder
    5. Setup Climbing Character, Scene settings and Project Settings
    One thing to note here, it said that I don't have a Pelvis set in the Hip input. But, I had "Hip <Transform>" in there already, I selected it again and it seemed to work fine.

Start playing, now, I can run, roll, crouch and vault. My animation breaks down when i try and "step up" or try and climb or anything like that. Video below shows my setup. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

diasrodrigo likes this.
  7. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @kylewetton

I believe it's easy to fix. Restart your Unity Editor. Close and open again your project. It may work. Sometimes it happens, Unity need to compile animations. I don't why it happens, but restarting fix it.
    If problem persists, take a look at the Manual. There is a link for animations.

8. kylewetton

kylewetton

@diasrodrigo thanks for the reply. So, I've given that a go. It still doesn't work unfortunately. When you mention manual, the only information I'm finding there is information about downloading the animations from mixamo, which I've done correctly as far as I can tell (first part of my video above shows all of my animations saved along with meta files included). (edit: apologies, I've found this link...)

Could it be related to hip transform missing? There is the error still persistent regardless of which rig I use from Mixamo.

On all animations "Copied Avatar configuration mis-match. Transform hierarchy does not match.Transform hips not found"

How best can we troubleshoot whats going on from here? i see that there is something who had the same issue as me in the review section, did they ever email you? Might shed some light on whats happening here. Let me know if you need any more info or any more screengrabs.

Thanks!

edit: About to try again with dropbox link mentioned

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  9. kylewetton

kylewetton

I used the download link to the animations asset package (Dropbox) and that worked, there is something about the manual process that doesn't work as intended. Thanks!

10. kylewetton

kylewetton

A quick question, is there a possible way of mapping the inputs to UI buttons? for instance everything controlled by Space to be done via UI button instead

Edit: I’ve managed to side load my own tap input manager and appended it to the relevant scripts. Need to keep a back up so updates don’t nerf it. Would love to see mobile support in the pipeline from your end though

Here's a video showing Climbing System running on iOS

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    diasrodrigo likes this.
  11. hedgefield

hedgefield

The shooter asset looks cool @diasrodrigo! Will it come with a guide to add it to an existing climbing system project? I tried to do the same with your feet IK asset but I was unsure where to begin.

12. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

That's nice you get this working. I would say to create a new script for mobile input and get reference to UnityInputManager script and set manualUpdate to true. Doind this, you can manually set buttons states by your new script, using the method: SetButtonState(bool wasPressed, bool wasReleased, bool pressing)

Yes, it will. It's totally compatible with Climbing System because I started developing it by Climbing System. About Foot IK, it works independently from Climbing System. Just add Foot IK script to your character. If you use footstep system, you have a editor window that does everything for you.

13. kylewetton

kylewetton

@diasrodrigo, I'm hoping to pick your brain here quickly.

I've updated the animator controller to include a layer on top of the base player called "Combat". This is currently synced with the base layer but has different animations in the Grounded blend tree.

How best can I update the layer being used via script?

I've seen that in your ThirdPersonAbility script, you use your AnimatorManagers BaseLayerIndex when using SetState()

Code (CSharp):
    1.  m_AnimatorManager.SetAnimatorState(newState, transitionDuration, m_AnimatorManager.BaseLayerIndex);
    However, inside Animator Manger I notice you also have UpperLayerIndex, but I'm not sure how to leverage it. How can I flip the switch and basically

• If combat is true
    • SetState("Grounded") with Layer index to 1 instead of 0. SetState seems hardcoded to only be able to use BaseLayer
    Thanks!

diasrodrigo likes this.
  14. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @kylewetton
    I've added other layers parameters to prepare my asset for Shooter. Actually, as you see, I have already submit it. So, I can send you the animator manager working with layers to you. Send me your e-mail or PM me here in the forum. I will alos update Climbing System soon to get these modifications

15. kylewetton

kylewetton

I was wondering if it was handled by Shooter System. Thanks so much for the prompt reply. Feel free to email at kylewetton[at]me[dot]com . Thanks so much! (PS. Will definitely pick up Shooter System for the bow mechanic in the future);

diasrodrigo likes this.
  16. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I've already answered you

17. kylewetton

kylewetton

@diasrodrigo

Apologies for sending through another query, I'm wondering about the Ignore Abilities options. It seems that when I set one, (a new one, below the already default ones that the setup has), it is immediately removed on runtime. This happens on every Ability. For instance as a test, by default "Crouch Ability" ignores "Locomotion", if I add "Roll Ability" as a new ability to ignore, when I hit play "Roll" is removed and it reverts back to just "Locomotion". Is this a bug or is there an apply button I'm missing? Cheers

18. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I think I know what is happening. In the next update I'll try fix it. I have to change editor scripts. But a simple way to get this problem fixed for a while is:

1. Add your ability.
    2. Make some change that affects prefab and return back (You can disable and enable any script)
    3. Apply everything to your prefab.

It may work and will not be erased on runtime.

kylewetton likes this.
  19. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    kylewetton and Dupat like this.
  20. Rallix

Rallix

Hi,
    I'd like to thank you for this asset; I've been looking for a climbing system like this for a while, and this one offers even more than I hoped for.
    First, would you consider the possibility of Final IK integration? Mainly for climbing and hand/feet placement on ledges or ladders. Other than that, I have a few questions/suggestions, if I may.

1) I believe it would be helpful if either the documentation or the videos described the setup in greater detail. It's good to know you just need to press a button for new projects, but if you're integrating the system into an existing one, you need to be very careful to avoid replacing your own project settings.
    I essentially had to create a new project, compare the differences and dig into the editor scripts to see what the buttons do.

This could be avoided if the documentation said:
    "Setup
    Add these 9 layers: […] (– is it necessary to place them at the same numeric position?)
    and these input axes: […]."
    But let me thank you for using a different colour for each layer in the demo scene, it makes it much easier to find out what's going on without.

2) The Setup Scene button also throws an error if the asset folder has been moved or renamed because it attempts to load the Camera Rig prefab from an absolute path:
    Assets/Dias Games/Third Person System/Prefabs/CameraRig.prefab
    Would it be possible to change the path to a relative one, so we can move the folder around?

3) In the Build Third Person Character option, you probably ought to assign the Zero Friction physics material to all abilities – for example climbing sideways on a ledge doesn't seem to work without it.

4) Where's the best way to set speed of certain abilities?
    For example, I think "side-ways ledge climb", "ladder" and "crouching" is slightly slower than would be enjoyable in a game. I went with the simplest option and changed the animation speed in the controller but it'd be great if it was a field of the ability script (e.g. similar to "turn" speed settings).

5) When the player jumps in place, jump power seems to be ignored. I. e. even if I set ludicrously big jump power, pressing jump button when standing still only makes you perform a tiny hop.

6) During the Build Character phase, it'd be great if you could set a certain height which would then affect the added components. The Climbing System uses a 1.8m tall character. My own character is shorter (1.4m) and what I had to do is basically multiply the majority of "Vertical" parameters across all abilities (and the capsule collider's height) by (1.4/1.8). The documentation isn't overly detailed as I mentioned earlier, so I had to go with trial & error to see how certain parameters affect the climbing system.

7) When you run and want to jump from the edge of a platform, the player instead turns around to grab the ledge. That's perhaps my main gripe – I think from a certain movement speed when running, the character simply shouldn't be attempting to grab the ledge below his feet. You can jump earlier to avoid this behaviour, but that's not what most players will naturally do.

Please consider all this as constructive feedback and my experience as a newcomer to this asset, not some angry criticism. I really like the system, I just believe these points could improve it further.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    kylewetton and diasrodrigo like this.
  21. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @Rallix
    Thank you for your really construtive feedback. I would like to say that I really appreciate feedbacks like yours. It helps me to make my work always better.

About points you mentioned, some of them I was already thinking about changing, like the 1, 6 and 7.

I'll try to answer all.

1) My goal is to avoid import project settings files and package manager. But it happens because of the category I choose for my asset in the Asset Store. I almost changed it in the last update, but I think this category is the most appropriate. About layers name, I can offer a option to override layers name or left as it is in earlier projects.

2) I'll try other ways to find this prefab without an absolute path. But I'm not sure if it will be done soon.

3) This option is only if you need special friction for that ability. Leaving it null will not affect your current Physic material. The default material is on Capsule Collider. if physic material is null, system will not change the default parameter, if it has another material, it will override it and set it back to default in the end of the ability.

4) Each ability has Root Motion multiplier option in Animation section. There you can set if you want to speed up that animation in a specific axis.

upload_2019-5-4_17-26-38.png

5) Yes, it is ignored. But you can change it on Root Motion multiplier too.

6) I'll try to change it in future releases.

7) I'll make a condition that checks speed before enter the drop ability.

Rallix likes this.
  22. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everybody.

I have already a made an update for Climbing System. In this update I made small internal changes to work fine with Shooter.

I have added a option to do this now. There is a parameter called MaxSpeedToAllowDrop, and you can set the speed that can be drop. Grater values will not drop anymore.

I also fixed this bug.

For crouch, I have changed its animation. Now character move faster and better.

Now it is working for all layers. In SetState you can choose which layer you want to change.

I also added a short logic in the climbing scripts to allow more accurate detection of ledge. Now character can grab a ledge that on his side or even from his back. For example: If you jump back from a ledge and in your side there is a ledge, now character grab this ledge, and in the previous version, it was not possible.

Hope all of you enjoy the new version.

Rallix and kylewetton like this.
  23. kylewetton

kylewetton

Thanks so much for the hard work!

diasrodrigo likes this.
  24. kylewetton

kylewetton

Hey mate, so I've made the update and have had a look inside thirdpersonability.cs

I'm still not sure how to use SetState with different layers,

Code (CSharp):
    1.         /// <summary>
    2.         /// Sets a new state for this ability
    3.         /// </summary>
    4.         /// <param name="newState">Name of the new state</param>
    5.         protected void SetState(string newState)
    6.         {
    7.             SetState(newState, m_TransitionDuration);
    8.         }
    10.         /// <summary>
    11.         /// Sets a new state for this ability
    12.         /// </summary>
    13.         /// <param name="newState">Name of the new state</param>
    14.         /// <param name="transitionDuration">Duration of transition</param>
    15.         protected void SetState(string newState, float transitionDuration)
    16.         {
    17.             if (m_CurrentStatePlaying == newState)
    18.                     return;
    20.             m_AnimatorManager.SetAnimatorState(newState, transitionDuration, AnimatorManager.BaseLayerIndex);
    21.             m_CurrentStatePlaying = newState; // Set new current state
    22.         }
    It doesn't look like SetState accepts a parameter for layer and is still using AnimatorManager.BaseLayerIndex.

Should I be referencing m_AnimatorManager.SetAnimatorState directly, or using SetState method in thirdpersonability like I'm attempting? This is probably me being dumb right now.

I've been getting around it with this new method I added but i'd prefer to not modify

Code (CSharp):
    1.         /// <summary>
    2.         /// Sets a new state for this ability
    3.         /// </summary>
    4.         /// <param name="newState">Name of the new state</param>
    5.         protected void SetUpperState(string newState)
    6.         {
    7.             SetUpperState(newState, m_TransitionDuration, int layer);
    8.         }
    10.         /// <summary>
    11.         /// Sets a new state for this ability
    12.         /// </summary>
    13.         /// <param name="newState">Name of the new state</param>
    14.         /// <param name="transitionDuration">Duration of transition</param>
    15.         protected void SetUpperState(string newState, float transitionDuration, int layer)
    16.         {
    17.             if (m_CurrentStatePlaying == newState)
    18.                 return;
    20.             m_AnimatorManager.SetAnimatorState(newState, transitionDuration, layer);
    21.             m_CurrentStatePlaying = newState; // Set new current state
    22.         }
    I use the above for some states, and SetState for others. It's useful for things like arming and disarming animations where you may be idle or running.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    diasrodrigo likes this.
  25. KLWN

KLWN

Hello, is there any way to setup the controller to be 2.5D (X/Y movement only)? I tried for hours but can't get it to work.

26. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

You can change directly using AnimatorManager.SetAnimatorState(newState, transitionDuration, layer);
    SetState changes m_CurrentStatePlaying. This parameter is useful when you want to finish one ability when the animation finishes. But it can check only one animation per time. If you use SetState and change it with another layer, System will only finish when that animation state, in that specific layer finishes. Of course, if your ability finishes with another condition, it will not be a problem.

For weapons I use AnimatorManager.SetAnimatorState(newState, transitionDuration, layer), because weapons animation doesn't have impact on the animations that ability is playing.

Try to lock Z or X axis on Rigidbody. Doing this your character will move only on (Z or X) and Y direction.

upload_2019-5-9_6-56-31.png

To avoid lose your data, also comment line 160 of the ThirdPersonSystem script:

upload_2019-5-9_6-56-40.png

It’s inside Awake function.

I also answered you by your e-mail.

AlexKlwn likes this.
  27. AlexKlwn

AlexKlwn

is it possible to implement start- and stop-transition for walking animations (walk/run -> idle)? I would love to use animations like these

diasrodrigo likes this.
  28. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

It's possible, but the logic of Locomotion has to change to allow it. I didn't think about it before to find a way to do this.

29. witcher101

witcher101

I am getting this error when i import it on blank project
    Assembly has reference to non-existent assembly 'Unity.ugui' (Packages/com.unity.textmeshpro/Tests/Editor/Unity.TextMeshPro.Editor.Tests.asmdef)
    tried on 2018.2 and 2018.3 same problem

30. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @witcher101

Try improt it but don't import Packages and Project Settings folder. This next week I'll try to change the category of Climbing System to avoid get these files. I hope this is what is causing these errors

31. KLWN

KLWN

Hello @diasrodrigo
    when I start the game and walk around and then press jump (Y on XB1 pad or space), the character plays "Jump in Place" instead of using the "HumanoidJumpForward"? So the first jump is always the wrong one, but that, all future jumps work correct. Any idea?

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  32. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I'll check it out and give you a correct answer. Which Unity version are you using?

33. KLWN

KLWN

34. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@KLWN it's happening because of a mistake from me. Go to Jump Ability and uncheck Use Root Motion

upload_2019-5-15_13-36-14.png

I will fix it in the next update.

KLWN likes this.
  35. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I'm developing a game inspired in the Tomb Raider games, using Climbing System and Shooter System
    In the video bellow, you can see what is possible to do with Climbing System and Shooter System together.

Dupat likes this.
  36. Dupat

Dupat

Nice! can we play it? :p the mix of climbing and shooter makes really good! Do you think you add pushing box and interupteur as new abilities? :)

diasrodrigo likes this.
  37. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@Dupat , yes I'm thinking to add these two abilities.

Dupat and Rallix like this.
  38. KLWN

KLWN

@diasrodrigo please do so! I currently work on my own pushing ability but I cant get it to work :(

diasrodrigo likes this.
  39. SamRock

SamRock

This looks great! I agree with above requests, we need a push ability now :)
    Also please add the animation where your character at 1:32, jumped from a big height and landed on ground. Its a great natural ability.
    Would love to assign the audio when jumping and holding ledges. Is that in the new udpate? Sorry havent tried it yet, coz I am afraid it will break my swimming ability!

40. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo
    I am trying to add cinemachine to my play some cutscenes. How do I switch back your Third Person Main camera after using a Virtual camera? Also when I add an animation clip to my character, his bones sorta gets crushed!

Do yo think we have an option to toggle between your camera and Cinemachine Cam? It seems to do everything you achieved via code :)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    diasrodrigo likes this.
  41. kylewetton

kylewetton

@diasrodrigo

I have a very thin box collider on an invisible object that my player grabs onto on these ledges, however sometimes if I jump up and he grabs too close to the edge of the ledge, he actually grabs the side of that small collider. What parameter, if any, determines how thick a ledge must be before my player is able to grab onto it. This only happens once every 30-50 jumps Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 12.22.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 12.31.36 PM.png

42. KLWN

KLWN

43. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Try to move your ledges a little inside the wall. Just leave a small part of it visible on the wall.

What you can is disable Camera Controller script when your cinemachine starts to play.

About animation, if you added animation to your animator controller, and your bones get crushed, maybe it's something wrong with that animation.

44. kylewetton

kylewetton

Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 10.09.34 PM.png
    Thanks mate, But I don't know if thats the problem... I'm wondering, is there something I can comment out that would allow my player to only grab ledges if they're facing the same direction as the edge he is coming from? So remove the ability for him to jump up and catch onto the side of the ledge above him. The way my came works is that there would be situations where the player will end up grabbing on one side of a ledge ledge quite often

Have a quick watch on this video, you'll see the issue pop up near the end, this would be one of the final bugs to iron out on my little infinite climber

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    SamRock likes this.
  45. SamRock

SamRock

This happens to me as well. If I jump sideways from one ledge to another.. my guy hangs on the side. It tried pushing ledge inside the rock. but it doesnt always work, as the Rocks are uneven.

There were instances when he did a complete 360' turn

46. SamRock

SamRock

Hi,
    I am not sure if thats how it work. When you add Cinemachine to the scene, a virtual camera gets attached to your main camera. I am not able to disable it and only use the Main cam :(
    Any help would be great

diasrodrigo likes this.
  47. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

In this case you have to disable Cinemachine Brain from your camera. When it is disabled, virtual cameras doesn't run.

About side climbing I'll try to improve code to avoid detected these situations you mentioned

48. kylewetton

kylewetton

@diasrodrigo

Hey mate, any word on the above? It looks like regardless of how tiny the box (climbing layer object) is, he is still able to grab onto the side of the ledge if I jump up to the ledge, and the characters position is too close to the side of that new ledge he is jumping too.

I'd like to start by commenting out this

"I also added a short logic in the climbing scripts to allow more accurate detection of ledge. Now character can grab a ledge that on his side"

Could you direct me to the method?

49. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

50. SamRock

SamRock

Thank you Rodrigo! I managed to create follow Cinemachin VCam that works similar to your Camera controller. So when I switch to a Cutscene, the transition is smooth and blended well.

Would love to have the update on the side climb too :)

diasrodrigo likes this.