Search Unity

CLIMBING SYSTEM - [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by diasrodrigo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Still having issues with it. On 2018.3.0f2 the avatar jumps and skips all over the place and is not controlable in both demos, but is stable and works perfectly on 2018.2.12f1. Have you come across this problem before?

2. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I think I know what is happening. Go to Physics settings on Project Settings, and uncheck collision between ragdoll and Character.
    Must be like bellow:
    upload_2019-1-9_20-8-20.png

LukeDawn likes this.
  3. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

That's exactly what it was. You can set that in code in the Character System using Physics.IgnoreLayerCollision which might be handy for future versiosns :)

4. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

When designing new Abilities, the order of the abilities on the character doesn't matter, they are all testing for TryEnterAbility every fixedUpdate?

diasrodrigo likes this.
  5. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Thank you for the suggestion!

Yes, order doesn't matter. The important point is the Ignore Abilities. System will define which ability should be enter by this property. You set which abilities to ignore in the Inspector

LukeDawn likes this.
  6. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Preparing to test this with UMA next.

What is the ragdoll used for? There are times when falling too far, or being caught in an explosion that I would like to use the ragdoll without an animation.

7. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

When character dies, system disable Animator component, then Ragdolls runs on Character giving the Physics effect.

LukeDawn likes this.
  8. hedgefield

hedgefield

SamRock, zisaboy and Dupat like this.
  9. witcher101

witcher101

Can you implement wall run feature also??

10. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

I'm transitioning the whole project over to this system. It's by far the most simply extensible system I've found.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  11. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Having a few issues trying to get the climbing system to work in a client/server scenario. I'm sending data to the server when a new ability is entered, which is all good, but I was wondering if there was data on methods that use finishOnAnimationEnd of the total transform offset from the beginning of the animation to the end? I don't really want to run hundreds of animators on the server if I don't have to :)

diasrodrigo likes this.
  12. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I was thinking about that, and I believe there is a solution for that. Looking into animation clips you can find some properties: Average Velocity and duration:

upload_2019-1-21_8-13-10.png

To avoid animation callings, you can calculate the final position using average velocity and time. In this case, animation clip takes 1,04s with v = (-0.011, 1.087, 0.585) and you can get the new position using duration * velocity.

I think this is the most simple way to find the next position.

LukeDawn likes this.
  13. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Hmm, interesting. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have a play with it.

I've also had to move all the abilities to non-monobehaviour classes, as I have over 100 new abilities to add and having that many monobehaviours on each player/npc would be a huge load. Even with this reworking, I think this is by far the best extensible system for controlling characters in a multiplayer environment.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  14. zisaboy

zisaboy

HI! The system can implement monster climbing?
    Like this:

diasrodrigo likes this.
  15. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Has a new version been uploaded that doesn't alter with the unity settings?

diasrodrigo likes this.
  16. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Unfortunately no.

No, this settings os automatically added to package when I choose it as a complete System. What you can do is uncheck Unity settings when you import the package to the project.

17. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

You can uncheck here: upload_2019-1-24_7-54-3.png

LukeDawn likes this.
  18. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

I unchecked Project Settings too - that seemed to make it all work.

19. hedgefield

hedgefield

I have three small questions regarding the controls:

1. What would be the way to make walking the default state instead of running?
    2. Is there a way to make the crouch key be a toggle instead of having to hold it down?
    3. I can disable automatic ledge grab for when the character runs off the end of a platform, but is it also possible to do this for the ledge grab during a jump? (so you'd have to press a button while jumping to grab the ledge, otherwise you miss and fall)

Also, I noticed if you make two ledge objects and you put them next to each other on the same wall (so they are touching/overlapping), the character doesn't shimmy from one onto the other, you still have to jump. Maybe something of interest for a future version.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Auraion, SamRock and diasrodrigo like this.
  20. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

1. You can change the Grounded Blend Tree inside animator and set walk state to use 1 for Forward parameter instead of 0.5f

2. Yes, there is. I'm working on that to allow it for future update.

3. It's possible, but you have to add another condition on TryEnterAbility of ClimbingAbility script:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // Change this condition
    2. // if (HasFoundLedge(out frontHit, false))
    3. // To this
    4. if (HasFoundLedge(out frontHit, false) && m_Engine.InputManager.jumpButton.IsPressed)
    5. {
    6.                 WallOnFeet();
    7.                 return true;
    8. }
    In this case I used Jump button, but you can use another button that you want.

Character doesn't shimmy to another ledge because it checks if the ledge is the same that he is grabbing at the moment. If you put ledges overlapping each other, I recommend to create a unique collider for both.

Hope it helps you.

Auraion likes this.
  21. hedgefield

hedgefield

Thanks, that's what I needed!

Auraion likes this.
  22. hedgefield

hedgefield

Also, I figured out how to fix the issue where the climbing sometimes fails at low framerates: I set the position smoothing on the Lower Climb component from 0.1 to 0.02. It wasn't necessary to do this for the regular climbing component, that always works.

SamRock and diasrodrigo like this.
  23. prakash7titus

prakash7titus

Any thoughts on reviving invector integration ?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Twyker likes this.
  24. SamRock

SamRock

That was awesome!!!! :eek:
    You just inspired me to carry on with my game dev!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    hedgefield likes this.
  25. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo Are you working on a Weapons Addon? I thought you mention it somewhere not sure though.
    Also are there any updates planned to be released?

26. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello. I'm working on Weapon Addon. It's more complicated that I thought, but it will be released as soon as possible. I have created a option for bow, and it took me a lot of time.

About Invector integration be revived, I'm actually not planning that.

27. SamRock

SamRock

You are the best!
    Take your time to perfect it :)
    Hope to see some video in action to keep us excited

28. witcher101

witcher101

which third person controller are you using??

29. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

This is how Weapon system is working by now:

SamRock likes this.
  30. SamRock

SamRock

He is using the same asset that this Post is about, The "Climbing System", which come with a built-in Third Person System

31. SamRock

SamRock

Wow thank you so much for the sneak-peak. It looks like you have already achieved a lot!. The animation works great. Love the Gears of War style cover system, thank you for adding it. You just read my mind! :)

Really cant wait til you release it. May be a BETA for early adopters? :D

32. westryder907

westryder907

YES! A weapon system added onto this asset will push this EASILY into the top 3 third person controller assets right up there with Opsive and RedBee (Ultimate third person controller & Third Person Cover Shooter).

Are weapons available as pickups or are they automatically added to the player and non-removable?

Keep up the great work! :)

SamRock likes this.
  33. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I added a simple inventory for weapons and bullets. You can add or remove them any time you want in the gameplay. It will be pickable too.

SamRock likes this.
  34. SamRock

SamRock

Super! :) Cant wait

On the TPS - when I check the Freeze Position for Z, it gets unchecked at Run time. As you know my game is a 2.5D, and I don't want my Char to run into Z
    I have done this for now, hope it doesnt break the TPS
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //m_Rigidbody.constraints = RigidbodyConstraints.FreezeRotation; // Freeze all rotations to allow scripts turn character
    Could you please fix this in your next update?
    Also would great if there was 2.5D mode for the camera so that on this is taken care automatically.. And Mouse movement would only turn the Character's head up and down to look in direction of the mouse :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  35. hedgefield

hedgefield

The weapons look incredible Rodrigo, great work so far!

I was wondering, how can I disable the automatic crouching when the character detects a low obstacle they can fit under?

36. Dupat

Dupat

You can activate / deactivate layers in: Crouch ability / ability setting / layer obstacle, to choose when the auto crouch is activated. Nothing = disabled

SamRock likes this.
  37. SamRock

SamRock

Here is a short demo of my WIP game created using Climbing System!

@hedgefield Thanks for reigniting my dev fire :)

@diasrodrigo Thanks for a amazing asset and support! Feel free to share my video to your followers to promote your Asset :) You made my dev efforts so simpler. I need help help with Vaulting. Will post a separate video here.

38. hedgefield

hedgefield

@Dupat That worked, thanks!

@SamRock so glad to hear it, the game looks great, keep at it!

SamRock likes this.
  39. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo Sorry to post so many queries one after another!

I am unable to make my character Vault and Climb ledges. I used the same objects from your Level/Scene. Its all the same. As you can see in my preous video, LowerClimb works perfectly fine. Is there anything I need to tweak? Could it be because of checking for Collision only in Z direction. While my character only runs X direction (Left/Right)

40. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @SamRock

I believe you have to change the height of your climbing and thickness of your Vault.

1. Climbing:
    upload_2019-3-7_15-22-34.png

Start and end point are references for climbing height. Start point is the heighest point that system should cast a ledge, relative to character pivot. 1.8 means that he can climb a height of 1.8m from pivot. Try to increase it for 2.2 and see if get fixed. End point is the minimum height that character can climb. The red lines you see in the video is the distance between this two points. He only climbs when a ledge is in this range.

2. Vault

upload_2019-3-7_15-28-9.png

Character only vault an object if its thickness is not greater than Max Vault Thickness. Try increase it to 0.5 for example. Means that he can vault objects with 0.5 m of thickness.
    Vault also has Start and End point like climbing, and it works in the same way of climbing.

From the video you post, these are the points I believe can solve your issues.
    If you need more help, just post here or send me e-mail.

41. Reiner

Reiner

Very nice, when you think its ready and on store?

42. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I'm working for 2 game projects until next Sunday. So, I'll try to release it on April. I need to make tutorials and documentation, and it costs a signifcant time

43. SamRock

SamRock

THANK YOU SO MUCH! The keyword here was "PIVOT". And mine was messed up, dunno how(it was at his right chest/nipple! :D). But when I run the game, the TPS somehow corrects it) I manually corrected Pivot and placed it to his fert, and redid the whole "Build Climbing Character". Now its working perfect fine. Didnt have to change the default values :)

Will post a video soon

diasrodrigo likes this.
  44. Dupat

Dupat

Hello everyone, I created a push ability. I wanted to share it with the community, I think it's a good thing that we are exchanging our work.
    The code is very simple and not commented but it works, do not hesitate to give me your feedback.

link to download Push ability: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tMZ7hwII9FlhbOqcotco0trKkDkudcyC/view?usp=sharing

- install climbing system by dias game
    - install my package
    - drag & drop PushBox prefab in your scene (DiasGames / Thirdpersonsystem / prefabs)
    - assign the "Push" script to your character
    - in Animation write "Push"
    - ignore Locomotion ability
    - in DiasGames / thirdPersonSystem / Animator, there is an animator called "Climbing Animator + Push" you can use it or copy the push node and paste it into your animator.

I think I have not forgotten anything: p

Twyker, SamRock and diasrodrigo like this.
  45. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Thank you for sharing with us!

SamRock and Dupat like this.
  46. Reiner

Reiner

If I give you the purchase number, then you could give us the beta version for shooter addon? we whant test and add photon 2

SamRock likes this.
  47. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@Reiner I'll publish a beta version for shooter. Even it stills in development you can buy and use it.

SamRock likes this.
  48. Reiner

Reiner

49. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, can I ask for ETA for Opsive TPC v2? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  50. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

@diasrodrigo Hi there, any plan for Climbing like Zelda Breath of the Wild?, since climbing is what makes this controller shine most compare to others :) . Also, I wish you consider to some common abilities, like swimming, wall jump, bar swing like Prince of Persia, etc.

Twyker and SamRock like this.