Search Unity

CLIMBING SYSTEM - [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by diasrodrigo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello guys.

I would like to announce that I will stop to offer Invector integration. Unfortunately, it's causing too many bugs and conflicts, and I'm going to release a new update until this month, Climbing System 2.0, and in this release I will not offer Invector integration anymore.

For those who purchased my asset with Invector integration, I will mantain support for them and also help them with what they need.

The reason I decided this is because of final quality. Even trying to adapt my asset, climbing system with Invector seems buggy, and to make it better, I have to change the invector scripts, and that's not my goal. It would be very complicated for the costumers. So, I decided to stop it.

I count with your comprehension.

Thanks.

2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hope too for an ootii integration.
    Any words on this?

3. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@RandAlThor I will be careful to not happen what happened to Invector integration. I will only make ootii integration if it works fine. I've been developing a new version for Climbing System and trying to extend it with shooter. The new version was submmitted yesterday. This new version has integration with InControl.

After finish shooter controller, I'll back to integrations. Sorry for the delay. I know there are some people waiting for ootii integration, and I didn't forget. I'll try my best to try to make it. Hope you understand me.
    But I didn't forget it.

Thank you for your interesting in my package.

Virtuadreamer likes this.
  4. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

Will you update integration for new version 2 opsive third person controller?

chrisabranch and diasrodrigo like this.
  5. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I saw they released this new version this week. It’s not so cheap to upgrade for version 2.0. My new update still keep last version of TPC. But I’ll try to get this new version with the publisher. Actually I don’t know what have changed.

I believe that most of people who already have TPC will not upgrade so soon. So, I believe keeping last version integration will help most of people. But of course, I’m planning to do for new version

transat and MAXFORCE like this.
  6. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

very good ideal

diasrodrigo likes this.
  7. ZGoodwin

ZGoodwin

Integration with game kit controller?

westryder907 and diasrodrigo like this.
  8. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@ZGoodwin actually I don't have plans for this, maybe in the future. Your suggestion is valid. I'll think about this possibility.

9. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone. Just to know, I was taking a look at the new Third Person Controller. I look at their website and saw that they made significant changes in the ability class. To adapt to the new version I'll need some time to relearn the new controller.

transat likes this.
  10. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I hope that you not at first again support TPS but Ootii´s assets.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  11. THE2FUN

THE2FUN

Amazing. I think you need to do realistic reload, like dropping weapon mags

diasrodrigo likes this.
  12. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo

This asset looks amazing. Love the different animations and features! I wish I had seen it before!!
    I fell for another climbing asset that's incomplete, had zero documentation and now I ended up wasting my time and money!! :'(

So before I buy you system, I had couple question. Please dont mind me asking these questions. Just want to make sure I understand your asset well before taking the leap :D

1. I see reference to TPS, do I need to buy a separate TPS asset to make the climbing system work?
    2. I also saw mention of Combat system in this thread, is that a different addon or part of the Climbing system?
    3. About my game: Its a 2.5D game, mostly underwater, with lot of swimming. Can I add my own Swim animation (Heroic Swimming asset) state into your system? What level of setup is required to make it work?
    4. Is there a way I can detect Land surface to change from swimming to walk?
    5. How do I make an Object climbable? Can I add have a Rock mesh, that can be marked as climbable? Or do I use an invisible Box for the character to detect?
    6. 2.5D Camera: Can I control the position of the Camera to make it fixed 2.5D format? My character will move LEFT or RIGHT when walk. UP and DOWN when climbing or swimming. But never in Z direction (I assume this is possible)
    7. (Optional) Any chance you can include all animation in a zip file and share on Dropbox or Google drive? Would save lot of our time and also avoid confusion when working with your asset. I see many Asset Devs do that :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  13. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello

Answering you, for everybody can see.

1. You don't need to buy TPS, it comes with Climbing System. For those who have bought TPS, there is an upgrade cheaper than the current price.

2. It's an addon I'm developing to be released.

3. Yes, it's possible to do it. You can watch these two videos to see how to create abilities, and you can apply this concept to create swimming ability:
    (Understanding the system) and
    (Creating abilities)

4. You can use IsGrounded property from the main controller.

5. You have to set a specific layer to be detected as a climbing surface. For rocks I recommend you to use invisble collider because rocks have normally irregular surfaces.

6. You can do this setting turn speed to 0 in the Camera Controller Inspector.

7. Mixamo EULA doesn't allow me to do this, sorry. :(

14. westryder907

westryder907

I'm just waiting for this asset to support Redbee's Third Person Cover System before I buy. I want this!

15. westryder907

westryder907

Ok so I bought this asset and my character loses movement and goes halfway into the ground when the StepUp animation plays, I haven't got any further in the demo scene because of this :/

Any ideas on how to solve this? Thanks!

Also RedBee's Third Person Cover System needs to integration, I'd be so happy! :D

16. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @westryder907

For your description I believe it's problem with rig avatar. Or for some reason it's not finding the animation. Please DM me or send an e-mail to: rodrigoaadias@hotmail.com and explain with more detail your problem and I will be able to help you.

17. qkb666

qkb666

I have the same problem,I do it in the way described in the manual(User's Manual - Climbing System v2.0),But it still can not be used.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  18. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

19. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello

I would like to announce that Climbing System is 50% Off during the Cyber Week Sale.

20. hedgefield

hedgefield

This asset is really good, I'm happy I found it! Aside from the climbing working very well, I was very pleased to discover it also has a very good thirdperson controller, better than most others I have used which add way too much complex stuff. It was perfect for what I needed, and I'm looking forward to seeing the upcoming weapon addon.

I had the problem with the character sinking into the floor at first too because I did not download the animations correctly, but within an hour of emailing Rodrigo I got the right files and everything worked.

For those who want to use Rewired as input for this, it's really simple. I've attached the only modified file needed for this, with permission from the developer.

1. Make sure Rewired is already imported and installed into your project.
    2. Download the attached script here and move it into Assets/Dias Games/Third Person System/Scripts/Character and replace the original.
    3. Create a Rewired Input Manager in your project window if you didn't have one already, and launch the Rewired Editor on it.
    4. I attached screenshots of all the necessary settings in the Rewired Editor to make this work.
    5. Make sure the Rewired Input Manager prefab is added into your scene too.
    6. Climbing and TPS should now work with Rewired

If you have any problems with it send me a message.

Attached Files:

SamRock, jeromeWork and diasrodrigo like this.
  21. guavaman

guavaman

Thanks for sharing your Rewired integration settings!

A few things:

1. It would be better to make a new RewiredInputManager class and RewiredInputButton class than to change the existing classes because updating the Climbing System asset will destroy your changes. (It would be even better if the UnityInputManager and InputButton classes could be modified by the developer to allow for pluggable input using delegates, an overridable singleton, or some other method.)

2. Because the integration is so simplistic (just changing GetAxis and GetButton to Rewired's equivalents, only supporting 1 Player), you might as well just install Unity Input Override instead.

3. You can post your Rewired Input Manager prefab and others can take it and drop it in their project without having to reconfigure everything.

22. SamRock

SamRock

Hi @diasrodrigo
    As I had emailed you I was able to create a Swim State, my character detects water from top and switches to Tread animation. However when I dive Underwater, the character starts dropping to the ground and begins the Locomotion state. Could you suggest how I can keep him in Swim mode when underwater? Sorry if it sounds like a basic thing to do, but I havent been able to achive it so far :(

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  23. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I think you have to disable gravity when swimming. To do this you can use the OnEnterAbility and OnExitAbility methods, like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public override void OnEnterAbility()
    2. {
    3.             base.OnEnterAbility();
    4.             m_Engine.m_Rigidbody.useGravity = false; // disable gravity
    5. }
    7. public override void OnExitAbility()
    8. {
    9.             base.OnExitAbility();
    10.             m_Engine.m_Rigidbody.useGravity = true; // Enable gravity after finish swimming
    11. }
    Add the code above inside your Swimming script. Hope it helps you.

24. SamRock

SamRock

Hi, Thanks for code, I have tried it before. The behavior is very random. Once, it detects water, other time my character just drops downwards to ground.

And now when I place him back on ground (in Scene), he remains in Swim mode, doesnt seem to detect the ground, or switch to "Locomotion" state :(
    I am not sure where I am going wrong. I hope you can help me out it. I been tryng this for long time

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using DiasGames.ThirdPersonSystem;
    5. public class Swim : ThirdPersonAbility {
    8.     [SerializeField] private float capsuleScale = 0.5f;
    9.     [SerializeField] private float CheckWaterRay = 3.0f;
    10.     [SerializeField] private float CheckWaterDistance = 3.0f;
    12.     public LayerMask WaterMask { get { return m_WaterMask; } set { m_WaterMask = value; } }
    14.     [Tooltip("Layers to treat as a Water")] [SerializeField] private LayerMask m_WaterMask = (1 << 4) ;
    16.     bool _inwater=false;
    17.     GameObject curWaterObject=null;
    19.     public override bool TryEnterAbility()
    20.     {
    21.         //return base.TryEnterAbility();
    22.         return (InWater()<=0.65f);
    23.         //return (_inwater && InWater() <= 0.65f);
    24.     }
    27.     public override bool TryExitAbility()
    28.     {
    29.         return (m_Engine.IsGrounded && !_inwater); //InWater()>0.4f);
    30.         //return (!_inwater);
    31.     }
    33.     public override void OnEnterAbility()
    34.     {
    35.         base.OnEnterAbility();
    37.         m_Engine.ScaleCapsule(capsuleScale);
    38.         m_Engine.m_Rigidbody.useGravity = false;
    39.         Animator anim;
    40.         anim = GetComponent<Animator>();
    41.         anim.SetBool("Idle", true);
    42.     }
    44.     public override void OnExitAbility()
    45.     {
    46.         base.OnExitAbility();
    47.         m_Engine.m_Rigidbody.useGravity = true;
    48.         curWaterObject = null;
    49.     }
    51.     public override void FixedUpdateAbility()
    52.     {
    53.         base.FixedUpdateAbility();
    55.         float distance = InWater();
    58.     }
    60.     /// <summary>
    61.     /// Checks water below character
    62.     /// </summary>
    63.     private float InWater()
    64.     {
    65.         RaycastHit hit;
    67.         //Debug.DrawRay((transform.position + (Vector3.up * CheckWaterRay)) * CheckWaterDistance, Vector3.down, Color.blue,1.0f);
    68.         Debug.DrawLine(transform.position + (Vector3.up * CheckWaterRay), (transform.position + (Vector3.up * CheckWaterRay) - (Vector3.up * +CheckWaterDistance)) , Color.blue);
    71.         float distance=20.0f;
    72.         if (Physics.Raycast(transform.position + (Vector3.up * CheckWaterRay), Vector3.down, out hit, CheckWaterDistance, m_WaterMask))
    73.         {
    75.             Debug.DrawLine(hit.point, hit.point + (Vector3.forward * 1.0f), Color.yellow);
    76.             Debug.DrawLine(hit.point, hit.point + (Vector3.back * 1.0f), Color.yellow);
    77.             Debug.DrawLine(hit.point, hit.point + (Vector3.left * 1.0f), Color.yellow);
    78.             Debug.DrawLine(hit.point, hit.point + (Vector3.right * 1.0f), Color.yellow);
    80.             curWaterObject = hit.collider.gameObject;
    81.             distance = Vector3.Distance(transform.position + (Vector3.up * CheckWaterRay), hit.point);
    82.             Debug.Log("Water distance : " + distance + " velocity" + m_Engine.m_Rigidbody.velocity.y);
    83.             //if(distance<=1.5f)
    86.             Animator anim;
    87.             anim = GetComponent<Animator>();
    89.             //Underwater
    90.             if (distance <= 0.4f)
    91.             {
    92.                 anim.SetBool("Water", false);
    93.                 anim.SetBool("Underwater", true);
    94.             }
    95.             //Onwater
    96.             else if (distance > 0.4f && distance <= 0.65f)
    97.             {
    98.                 anim.SetBool("Underwater", false);
    99.                 anim.SetBool("Water", true);
    101.             }
    102.         }
    104.         if (curWaterObject)
    105.         {
    106.             BoxCollider bc = curWaterObject.GetComponent<BoxCollider>();
    107.             if (bc.bounds.Contains(transform.position + (Vector3.up * CheckWaterRay)))
    108.             {
    109.                 _inwater = true;
    110.             }
    112.         }
    113.         else
    114.         {
    115.             _inwater = false;
    116.         }
    118.         return distance;
    119.     }
    123. }

25. SingularitySystems

SingularitySystems

EDIT: Nevermind, found it in the readme. Might wanna have the editor pop up a bubble telling us right away how to set it up.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    diasrodrigo likes this.
  26. phillyrager

phillyrager

Hi, I just bought this asset and I think it's exactly what I'm looking for. But unfortunately I'm having an issue where my character climb at all -- he just gets stuck at the bottom with his body in the floor.

I think it has something to do with the animations, because after I unzip the meta files they all have an error about not being able to find the hip bone. And on the Animator a lot of climbing animations have no motion. I spent about 4 hours on this and can't seem to figure it out.

I record a video of my workflow for you to see just in case I ended up missing something. I redownloaded the animations from Mixamo 3 times and it didn't helped. I even tried the demo and have the same problem.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  27. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

There is a note on the asset page telling this:
    upload_2018-12-8_10-24-14.png

Any problems, you can contact me: rodrigoaadias@hotmail.com

28. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I sent you a private message here in the forum, to help you getting this working.

29. namdo

namdo

Can you also send me the animations. I cant get it to work right. I followed the instructions but things are missing. I get you can't add the animations in the file but you can host the animations in a folder and add a link after someone buys it.
    Thanks.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  30. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I’m going to make an update and leave a link for it. Hope Asset Store administration allow it.

31. phillyrager

phillyrager

Worked perfect, thank you so much! Fantastic asset.

32. vatigo

vatigo

I have the same issue, the character is stuck half into the floor.
    I imported the asset into an empty project, downloaded the Character and animations as written in the Manual and I unzipped the meta files. What am I doing wrong? Why is this such a pain to set up?

33. vatigo

vatigo

The developer contacted me and helped with the issue. Quick reply and good support

34. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

@vatigo and @diasrodrigo can you share what the fix was? I've also imported all the animations from mixamo, renamed the ones that needed renaming and unzipped the meta files into the Animations folder (all as per the video) per still getting stuck in the ground with no climb animations.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  35. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Just so everyone knows, and isn't left in the dark about this... @diasrodrigo PM'd me the files which now all work great. As he's mentioned above, the link to the dropbox download will be available from within the asset in the upcoming update. TLDR. don't waste your time doing the animations download from mixamo as suggested in the tutorial video.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  36. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

It's already updated. Everyone can find it in the documentation.

37. Ron-Wilson

Ron-Wilson

I have followed your instructions about 6 times always with the same results same issue as other users, no climbing, no step up, no ladder climb.....I messaged you and got a zero answer to the issue...…….you replied but with no solution .
    looking at the animator window I see no blend trees with any animations assigned to the blend trees. The Character sticks into the ground at about waist deep into the ground...……...also I see no action on your forum...………..I cant recommend this asset to anyone as it is.
    The documentation tells me nothing useful. I am sorry to say this because the asset looked like it had a lot to promise .
    Ron

38. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @Ron-Wilson

Sorry for the problems you are facing. In the e-mail I answered you, I told you about the link I put inside documentation where you can download all animations to your project. Anyway, I sent you the link again to your e-mail.

Sorry for this. Ask me anytime you want, I will do my best to help you

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  39. Ron-Wilson

Ron-Wilson

Thanks that helped now have to figure out what went wrong and it is working now.
    I will try to trouble shot what happened...
    Ron

diasrodrigo likes this.
  40. verdail

verdail

hello mr dias still great job but can I send you my project because I can not adap to my character and his motor mecanim and it's been months

diasrodrigo likes this.
  41. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

42. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Hi there, I'm quite interested in this controller, and have a few questions...

1. Is it possible to control the character indirectly, ie from the network. Are there hooks for setting position, animation, etc from code, so I can control the character from a server?

2. Is it possible to have many characters with this system - again I'm looking at an "mmorpg" scenario.

Many thanks.

43. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello.

1. Yes, I didn't try yet, but I believe it's possible, because all movement is managed by one script, that get Input for system. You can stop its update mode and update the vars like jump, roll, crouch or climb by another script from server. I have recently tried to implement AI behavior and I created another variable in this script to stop getting Input from system, and I update movement vars and actions by an AI script.

2. Yes, it's possible. You just have to assign different Input buttons to avoid one player to control all, and if you are going to use mroe than one camera, you have to set in the camera which player it will foloow. All these situations in 2, you can set in the Inspector, you don't even need change nothing in the code.

LukeDawn likes this.
  44. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

Purchased and installed. I notice that even in the demo it doesn't seem to set up the Inputs. I'm using 2018.3.0f2. Are there any special settings for the buttons/axes?

45. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I made a version to submit for 2018.3 because they have changed settings, but there is no option in the publish settings to restrict only for 2018.3 yet. If I submmit this new version, costumers with old version will get problems. Send me an e-mail with your invoice number, I will send you this new version for 2018.3.

LukeDawn likes this.
  46. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

That's cool. I notice it doesn't play well with 2018.3.0 - It tries to change the runtime version and requires restarts. (This also means that it doesn't play nicely with Vegetation Studio Pro which uses all the latest packages. I've also noticed that installing Climbing System changes the selected packages you've got installed with a project.

Most assets say "install in a blank project", but you can never install all assets in a blank project when using a dozen or more assets :)

Is there a bug with Unity asset dev/upload pack that lets an asset change your installed packages? I'm not sure an asset should do that. Perhaps we need to file a bug report?

47. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Yes, all of it you said happens when trying to install in 2018.3 version.
    When we publish on Asset Store and select asset category as Complete System, it automatically upload Packages Settings and some other settings that I would like to not upload. Sorry for this.

LukeDawn likes this.
  48. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

:) No worries - if all the info helps to make a better asset for you, it's all good. Whilst I haven't got it working yet, I'm liking what I can see so far, looks to be the cleanest controller on the store. I've got most of the others, and they're way too complex, or try to be half of a game and do too much. All I want is an easily extensible CC that just does it's job.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  49. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

If you can post a screenshot of the Inputs as you have them set up - that would solve all problems for now :)

50. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo