Search Unity

CLIMBING SYSTEM - [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by diasrodrigo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. September9

September9

I've tested 3 demos. It was great when the demo works properly.
    I mean I experienced the same situation what @witcher101 said. (both in original controller and Invector's)
    It's happening some demo trials. I am guessing it's Unity build bugs. (maybe)

diasrodrigo likes this.
  2. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@witcher101 the problem with the spacebar is because Invector Controller. I'm not able to fix it. But have you faced this situation with my controller? If yes, I have to find the problem.

@september9 which situations did you find in the controller? Jump from ladder? Climb down?

Thank you both for testing it.

3. September9

September9

It's weird. Yesterday, when I tested demos at home, sometimes there were some bugs both in your controller and invector's. The character doesn't jump even I keep pressing spacebar(It happened a lot in your controller). So, when the character doesn't jump properly, the others (climb ladder, ledge) also doesn't work properly.
    However, now I am in my office, and trying demos again, there are no bugs. (The computer in my office is slightly better.) So I can not say what caused the bugs yesterday at home.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  4. EdgeOfDawnStudios

EdgeOfDawnStudios

Hello Rodrigo,
    After doing the quick start twice. I have gotten the same error on a plain project file and don't know what to do!

Here is the error
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    PlayerController.MovementInput () (at Assets/Climbing System/Scripts/Mono Behaviour/Character/PlayerController.cs:123)
    PlayerController.HandleInput () (at Assets/Climbing System/Scripts/Mono Behaviour/Character/PlayerController.cs:59)
    PlayerController.Update () (at Assets/Climbing System/Scripts/Mono Behaviour/Character/PlayerController.cs:47)

I click play and the player wont move or respond to any input.

If you can help me understand what is wrong and how to fix it it would really be appreciated because I would really like to use your system!

Thank you for your time!
    ~Brian Pearson

diasrodrigo likes this.
  5. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello Brian. It happens because your camera is not tagged as MainCamera. Select your camera in the inspector and change its tag to MainCamera.

6. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

After you said me about bugs I suspected about computer performance. I think it happened because of a lot of casting. I got an idea to try fix it. I will try this idea and change the demos to see if it works. Thanks

7. September9

September9

That's cool. Thanks.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  8. EdgeOfDawnStudios

EdgeOfDawnStudios

Thank you however, now another error have popped up,

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CharacterBuilder.BuildCharacter () (at Assets/Climbing System/Scripts/Editor/CharacterBuilder.cs:108)
    CharacterBuilder.OnGUI () (at Assets/Climbing System/Scripts/Editor/CharacterBuilder.cs:41)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:291)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:284)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:103)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:212)

any ides why this is happening. I have even redone the whole project again and recorded it and it has this same error.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  9. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Are your character set up as Humanoid? This line code get hip transform from character based on animator parameter. Seems that your character is not set up as Humanoid. Go to your model and check in tha tab rig if it is set as humanoid, like this:

upload_2018-7-14_14-54-8.png

have you unzipped the Meta files.zip?

10. EdgeOfDawnStudios

EdgeOfDawnStudios

Yes It is on humanoid yes I unzipped the meta files
    I don't understand whats wrong

11. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Try close Unity and reopen it and see if it happens again. That's weird. The only reason I imagine was about Humanoid problem.

12. EdgeOfDawnStudios

EdgeOfDawnStudios

Here is a picture I can upload more of anything you need to see, I have no Idea what is wrong. I tryed that it did nothing

<a

13. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I know what happened. Your character model got error when you tried to convert to Humanoid. Click in the button configure and try to set L_Eye and put it to T-pose. See f it works.
    Some mixamo character get errors in the rig sometimes

14. EdgeOfDawnStudios

EdgeOfDawnStudios

There is no L_Eye in the rig...

15. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Maybe it's trying to find the L_eye. You can just clear the field. But more simple, delete your character and reimport it, but only your character, and set it to humanoid. Do not unzip meta files for the character

16. EdgeOfDawnStudios

EdgeOfDawnStudios

OK well the character is moving now..... BUT NEW PROBLEM. she is running through all the objects instead of colliding and interacting with them... also the camera isn't moving with the player

diasrodrigo likes this.
  17. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Did you check if capsule collider is enabled?

About camera, you have to use Free Look Cam from Unity Standard Assets. Go To Assets -> Import Package -> Cameras and import all. After this get Free Look Cam prefab

18. EdgeOfDawnStudios

EdgeOfDawnStudios

Actually it isn't because of the collider, it seems the jumping and rolling is messed up ... doing this and when i try to jump or roll and its somehow breaking the collider

19. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

When you roll or jump it disables collider?

20. EdgeOfDawnStudios

EdgeOfDawnStudios

no, ignore the collidor problem, its caused by the breaking of whatever is happening when i jump near an object. jumping and rolling are messed up and I don't know why.

21. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

22. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@September9 and @witcher101 I've made some changes in the input system. Could you test it please? But only the demo of my controller. I did not change yet Invector and TPC demo

23. EdgeOfDawnStudios

EdgeOfDawnStudios

Do you mean make a build and send it to you?

24. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

No. Just export your package with the scene and the animations. And send it to my e-mail. I check what is wrong. First time it happened. No one have told me some bug like this. I’m curious to know what is going on.

25. September9

September9

Almost perfect. I guess I tested 7 times. Just 1 time ladder to ledge jump didn't work. It seemed the character can not jump at the top of the ladder. Overall it was great.

And I noticed another bug. Character's horizontal position is changing by every down and up movement.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    diasrodrigo likes this.
  26. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Really thank you @September9

This “bug” is not really a bug. It’s because animation root motion. That animation of grab a ledge moves a little in the horizontal position. I left this animation with root motion, but it can be easily removed by the user inside Unity.

27. September9

September9

Oh! I see. Thanks.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  28. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone!

I have submitted the new version today.
    I believe until Friday it will be released for everybody. Here is the new promo video fo the asset:

zero_equals_zero likes this.
  29. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

30. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

I just followed the steps to setup invector. The problem is the player will not animate. I'm getting no errors, but the character just moves around in t-pose. i can climb, but also just in t-pose with no animations.

climing error1.PNG

Attached Files:

diasrodrigo likes this.
  31. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I believe it's happening because your folder for Invector is not in the same path that the animator I left in the folder. And because of that, it doesn't find the animations. This is a possibility, but I'm not really sure. But I'll give you a suggestion in case this is the problem.
    Try this:

1. Copy climb state from this current animator state: CharacterAnimator_InvectorBasicLocomotion

upload_2018-7-18_8-17-13.png

2. Use the animator state from Invector in the Animator:

upload_2018-7-18_8-31-52.png

3. Paste the climb state in this AnimatorController and also add 3 new parameters: Horizontal (float), Forward (float) and RestartInvector(Trigger).

upload_2018-7-18_8-34-27.png
    *RestartInvector

4. Create a transition from Any state to Locomotion with RestartInvector Trigger:

upload_2018-7-18_8-36-32.png
    *RestartInvector

Check if it works.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  32. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

Thanks, but that still did not work. So i'm making a new build, following all the instructions and trying once more.

I'm using unity 2018.0f2 (64bit) (Android)
    And the Invector Version: 2.3.2 (Jul 16, 2018)
    with Climbing System Version: 1.4 (Jul 17, 2018)
    reading the documentation once more and Re-Watching the videos
    Also Re-importing the mixamo animations.

I'll let you know how it goes.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  33. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

That's weird.
    One thing that can be checked is if the model is in humanoid setting.

There is one thing that happened to me more than once. I'm using Unity 2018.1.8f1. I've changed some model properties and it didn't work until I restart Unity Editor

Maybe can be a bug from the editor.

34. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

well, It only works with the character that got downloaded in mixamo. i tried 3 other characters (all humanoid) none work but mixamo. i followed all directions and even had someone else double check it.

Also, the inputs do not match invectors inputs. i had to manually add them.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  35. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

This should not happen. It should work with any humanoid. I made a quick test here in my project and it worked with Invector model. But in any case, it's good to know. One question: did you get it working?

36. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

only with the character that was imported from mixamo. my game character is not working (it's the same character i sent you).

Edit: Well... after two days of troubleshooting, I think i know the problem. it only works with mixamo characters or mixamo bones. The character i'm using has no errors.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    diasrodrigo likes this.
  37. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I think I've found the problem.
    I have tested the character you sent me. His rig hierarchy is different than Mixamo. As hang animation doesn't have the same origin, Build Character creates another GAmeObject to adjust body on hang situation and attaches all rigs to this new object. But for some characters it breaks the rig hierarchy, like you can see bellow:

upload_2018-7-19_7-40-43.png

The CharacterBuiltToClimb has break spine1 from TSMGWorldJoint, and that's the reason that is not working. Do this:
    1. Select the character
    2. Go to this Animator in the inspector
    3. Right click on it and set Optimize Transform Hierarchy.

upload_2018-7-19_7-42-50.png

4. After this, right click again and select Deoptimize TRansform Hierarchy.

upload_2018-7-19_7-44-8.png

5. Now your rig structure is back:
    upload_2018-7-19_7-44-36.png

6. Now go to Climbing Script, Animation section, and fill Character Hip with any gameobject, just to avoid errors. Can be the mesh:

upload_2018-7-19_7-48-6.png

It worked for me here. I hope it works for you too.
    Cheers

38. Harekelas

Harekelas

Can this climbing system work on slopes and non-90-degree surfaces, like climbing on a rock?
    And request it to be integrated with ootii's Motion Controller!

diasrodrigo likes this.
  39. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @Harekelas

It works on slopes until 15° approximatelly, but turn conditions are not good, also climb IK doesn't work very well. That's a good point to adjust in the future, thanks.
    About climbing rock, if you're talking about something like this: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/third-person-freeclimb-add-on-105187

It doesn't work at the moment. But it's a good suggestion for future features.
    About otii's Controller I already have plans for this. I hope get it in the next future update. As I updated it recently, for at least 1 month I will not get it working, unfortunatelly. I'm working to create a support website.

40. Harekelas

Harekelas

Great! Will buy instantly when the integration with Motion Controller is out.
    About the climbing on rock, not like what invector offers, but some irregular shaped rocks maybe with a small vertical step near ground but with a slope up there, like this:
    upload_2018-7-26_20-11-56.png

Can this package recognize this situation and choose the best solution to let character make a small leap to get up on the slope?

41. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

In this case no. But you can create an invisble collider that allow you climb that part specifically. You put an box collider and make character climb the box collider, making it feels more realistic or at least acceptable by the players.

42. unity_dev3194

unity_dev3194

Hey there, love the asset. I'm having issues intergrating it with Invector. I did as you said in the instructions, but the Invector default character just falls into ragdoll as soon as the scene begins. Could you possibly set up a Discord for easy communication?

diasrodrigo likes this.
  43. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@unity_dev3194 actually I don't have a discord account. But in your case, if you remove all my scripts from your character, it stops this problem?

44. unity_dev3194

unity_dev3194

upload_2018-7-31_20-1-46.png

I was able to disable most of your scripts, except for a few. It didn't help, the character still ragdolled.

I also am facing another issues, which is animation / IK related:
    upload_2018-7-31_20-7-5.png

The character doesn't hang on the ledge, but above it.

45. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

@unity_dev3194, sorry for not ansering you early.

I believe this ragdolled is caused by some setting in the Invector script, because Animator Manager and Climb IK doesn't execute any update method, so it's not causing this problem. As you said, even disabling this scripts it keeps happening, I believe it's not the climbing scripts. About character climb above where you want, you can set his positioning on the ledge in the climbing script, like bellow:

upload_2018-8-1_7-46-1.png

46. StayUpLate

StayUpLate

This looks superb! Cant wait for the Ootii integration ^^

diasrodrigo likes this.
  47. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone. I would like to share with you the new updates to come for Climbing System. I'm extending this package with a new one for Shooter. And I also added two new abilities: vault and crouch.

You can take a look at this video demonstration.

I also changed the inspectors to make it easier and cusomizable.

upload_2018-9-3_20-46-12.png

And I also created a custom camera controller.

This is just a demonstration. Actually, it is still in development, and I hope to get this new updates in this year yet.
    Hope that everybody like it.

48. ShodanIsAlive

ShodanIsAlive

Hello diasrodrigo,

I just installed your package on my project, followed your instructions to the letter but all the animations have an import message error that says:
    Copied Avatar Rig Configuration mis-match. Transform hierarchy does not match: Transform 'Hips' for human bone 'Hips' not found.
    The Character asset has a similar error:
    Avatar creation failed: Transform 'Hips' for human bone 'Hips' not found.
    I'm using the xbot as character.

I'm fairly sure this is causing the following problems but I'll summarise anyway: putting the character inside the scene and building it with the Build Character menu doesn't fail but the character is into the T-bone pose and no animations are played.
    To add to this, whenever I get near a cube in the demo scene, I can't move my character anymore. The console isn't showing any error though.

Tomorrow I'll repeat the process once again but a helping hand would be greatly appreciated

upload_2018-9-20_2-16-18.png

diasrodrigo likes this.
  49. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @ShodanIsAlive

I believe this model from mixamo is different from that model I made the meta files. I'm going to find a way to avoid this problem for the next update.

You can try to fix the model avatar. But it will consume a time. I've DM you to help with your specific problem.

50. ShodanIsAlive

ShodanIsAlive

Hi @diasrodrigo,

Thank you for your help :) I'll try it later and tell you the outcome

diasrodrigo likes this.