Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

CLIMBING SYSTEM - [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by diasrodrigo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. YorkshirePudding

YorkshirePudding

Maybe check out the code before jumping to conclusions and throwing accusations?

I'm not saying the code hasn't been copied, but you have no way of knowing this until you actually check the code and provide evidence. Otherwise you just come across as salty!

2. Monil

Monil

I spent half an hour looking at the tutorial series and comparing the code and from what I saw it is different, but I want to hear what Rodrigo says

SamRock and diasrodrigo like this.
  3. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I did everything in Climbing System by my own, I didn't follow any tutorials or code from others. All code is completely unique from me. You can check by your own.

4. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Yes, completely different

Monil likes this.
  5. JRRReynolds

JRRReynolds

I love your tutorials Sharp Accent! But to be fair, leveling an allegation like that because someone's climbing system looks similar to yours is pretty unfair. I mean no matter how you execute your climbing system, it's all going to look pretty similar in the end. You admit yourself you haven't seen the code, so saying its a rip off of your system is pretty silly on your part.

Fibonaccov, Rallix and diasrodrigo like this.
  6. Xayias

Xayias

Awesome job! It is really easy to throw a level together! I do have a quick question though, Is there a way to control the camera with the right stick on a controller?

diasrodrigo likes this.
  7. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Yes. You need to set it in the Input Manager of Unity. You need to set Mouse X and Mouse Y to use the analog of your joystick

8. SharpAccent

SharpAccent

A DMCA has been filed and those with the authority to act will do so and act accordingly. I know my code and I know you ripped off a lot of things from my tutorials and not only for this asset. The evidence are in the hands of Unity stuff already and they will judge accordingly, makes no difference what you state.

Twyker likes this.
  9. SharpAccent

SharpAccent

The series is close to 20 hours so you're jumping into conclusion after watching 30 mins

Twyker likes this.
  10. SharpAccent

SharpAccent

I have my reasons for it and this isn't the only climb system in the store, so allow me to know a bit more

Twyker likes this.
  11. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I'm not afradi about that, I'm a honest person and I didn't even know about your channel before you shown up here. I'm professional and I don't need to copy anyone. Unity will see.

12. namdo

namdo

Any idea when you're gonna update this to work without cinemachine. I can't use cinemachine as the main camera for my project.

13. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I have developed a code to use own camera, but I'm trying to find a way to link it with animator states. That's why I didn't update yet.

14. thanhle

thanhle

When the character goes uphill and downhill , I have a problem:

a.png

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  15. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello. In this case you also have to change Max Angle Slope. It's 45 degrees at the moment. Try to increase. If the problem still persists, try to increade ground check distance to 0.5

16. thanhle

thanhle

It not work

change (Max Angle Slope) just makes the go up hill easier ... but the problem I'm having is going down, not up

The character seems to be jumping continuously while going down .... like falling continuously
    a.png

This error can be resolved by increasing the Gravity Acceleration = 200
    But if do this will make the character fall faster and jump lower ... in addition the character will be harder to go up hills

This can be tested simply by creating a ground slope 45 degree , then you use the character to go down from that slope and you will see ...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  17. HeyBishop

HeyBishop

Hi! I'm considering this asset for my platformer.
    One thing that's missing for me is a melee attack, specifically, sword swinging. I've reviewed your tutorials, and the one about creating new abilities grabbed my attention. It looks to me, if I added an animation of a sword swing, then I could call that animation state, right?

Is there a way to mask the animator, so only the upper body does the animation?

18. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Yes, you can play an animation for each layer in the ability. There is a component called AnimatorManager and you can play an animation calling: AnimatorManager.SetAnimatorState(string newState, float transitionDuration, int layer)

Unfortunately it doesn't have a melee attack in the package, but the idea to build melee is like you said.

19. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Changing Gravity acceleration to higher values is not a good approach. It also affects jump and fall situations.

The parameters I believe can avoid this is Check Distance and Angle Slope. But maybe another situation is going on in your case. Could you please send a short video of this happening?

20. HeyBishop

HeyBishop

That's great! Thank you.
    With the right animations (which I have), it sounds like you've provided all the necessary tools to make it happen.
    Cheers!

diasrodrigo likes this.
  21. thanhle

thanhle

Distance and Angle Slope ... I tried it but it didn't work
    Distance can make the character move in the air ... so bad
    this is my video please check
    error.gif

diasrodrigo and Twyker like this.
  22. thanhle

thanhle

New update :

I try to build a new character ... the error has been fixed, but I still don't understand why I got this error before .... :D

diasrodrigo likes this.
  23. cjackcandy

cjackcandy

Just picked up this asset 30 min ago. I opened an empty project (using Unity 2019.4.15f1). I first installed Cinemachine 2.6.3. to avoid the dependency errors and then imported CS 3.13. I opened the 2.5D scene and had no issues. Then I opened the Climbing Level Demo and when I ran the scene, 18 missing script warnings appeared:
    upload_2020-11-25_19-52-26.png
    Any idea as to what might be happening here? I tried re-importing but that didn't resolve the issue, nor did restarting Unity.

24. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

This is a script that comes for ProBuilder. Probable this mesh you selected was one of the meshes I built using ProBuilder. If you install ProBuilder the warnings will stop.

25. cjackcandy

cjackcandy

Ah - thanks, that did the trick! Been having a lot of fun setting up characters and climbing my way around your demo level :). Very impressive system.

26. cjackcandy

cjackcandy

I added the Foot Solutions asset to CS and noticed that whenever the Turn parameter is less than -0.1, the foot sound effect stops playing. To reproduce, start with an empty scene, add a plane and assign it the tag of "Dirt" (can be any surface tag). Then, using the DefaultAvatar, bring it into the scene and build a climbing character. Then setup the scene for climbing. Finally, add the footstep system to the DefaultAvatar in the scene. Start playing. You can hear the footsteps except when you move the mouse left (character turns left). If you only move slightly left (i.e. Turn parameter is -0.1 or greater) you can hear the footsteps. However, when you turn further to the left (Turn < -0.1), the footstep sounds stop.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  27. cjackcandy

cjackcandy

Update: Adding the Footstep system to a Basic Third Person System character works just fine - no fallout of sounds when using the mouse to turn the character to the left. This issue seems to only occur when adding the footstep system to a Climbing Character. I checked all of the animation clips for the Grounded blend state in the Climbing Animator controller and all of them do have the required RightFoot/LeftFoot curves and the curves match the animation clips. I noticed when watching the animator controller that the footsteps sounds only stop playing whenever the HumanoidRunLeft state is active. I also noticed that this clip uses a Cycle Offset of 0.5. When I changed it to 0, the footstep sounds would work; however, the animation broke in that the character does a hopping movement. I played around with the value setting but could not find a value that would result in both a smooth animation with footstep sounds. Playing around with this some more, I also discovered that for some reason, the left foot always plays the default sound, while the right foot will play the correct sound per the object tag. To reproduce, simply create a plane or cube and set its tag to "metal". Notice that the right foot will play the metal footstep sound; however, the left foot will always play what I assume is a default sound (sounds like the dirt sound).

28. cjackcandy

cjackcandy

I added a debug statement here:
    upload_2020-11-27_15-16-4.png

and got the following when running on a metal surface:

upload_2020-11-27_15-17-6.png

The dirt sounds all seem to align to when the left foot is in the down position. Hope this helps you debug the issue. Note that this particular issue occurs with both the Climbing System and the Third Person System.

29. cjackcandy

cjackcandy

@diasrodrigo I found that if I multiplied Vector3.up by 0.1 instead of 0.3, in FootstepController.cs, it seems to address the left foot issue and both feet now correctly play the sound associated with the object tag.

upload_2020-11-27_15-45-28.png

If there is a better way to handle this, please let me know, but I can live with this for now :).

The only remaining footstep sound issue I have is that there are no footsteps sounds playing while using the mouse to turn the player to the left. Again, this issue only occurs with a Climbing System character and does not occur when the character is a basic Third Person character. I know the animator controllers are different, etc. but I can't figure out why this issue is occurring. Would be interested in knowing whether anyone has successfully integrated the footstep system with the Climbing system character. I noticed that the footstep system is not listed in section 8 (Integrations) in the Climbing system manual - is this because the footstep system was never meant to be supported in CS?

30. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello

Thak you for all your feddback and insights @cjackcandy

Footstep System was developed to work with any asset. That's why I don't mention Climbing System, because it's an independent system, that can work with or without it.

But I'll check all issues you mentioned. I just ask you a little time, because I'm working on a project this week for University, and I'm a little busy. I pretend to take a good look at this in the next weekend.

Thank you again for your feedback

31. cjackcandy

cjackcandy

diasrodrigo likes this.
  32. thanhle

thanhle

@diasrodrigo
    I want play animation Attack Jump ( Character jump in the air and attack down )
    this animation is use Root motion
    i use setting : Use vertical Root motion
    Untitled.png

But one problem is : when the character jumps up, it will switch to Fall ( animation fall )
    i dont want to check (Use vertical Root motion )
    How can I play animation Jump attack without affecting the system?

33. shanemt

shanemt

I'm interested in potentially buying this asset, but I will want to integrate it into my own character controller. Has anyone here had any experience extracting out the code? Or is there an API I can use? From what it sounds like, the climbing system and overall character controller seem intertwined.

34. Mars91

Mars91

We've done that for our own game, cut everything out except the climbing system (we already had our own vaulting, input etc) and integrate that in our own character controller.

The controller was written by me so the integration part was really easy, the pain in the **** was to remove everything from this asset ;) I would advice you to optimize things a little bit while you are doing that.

35. Mars91

Mars91

Sent you a couple of mails but with no luck, had a chance to check it?

36. thanhle

thanhle

How to fix?

37. thanhle

thanhle

I try to set Use vertical Root motion by script ... but i cant ... please show me how to set it !

38. thanhle

thanhle

Update ... I try to set Use vertical Root motion but cant , now i found a new way :
    i call method :
    Diagames.Thirdpersonsystem.thirdperonsystem enterAbility to Jump ... system switch to ability to Jump and it work ... but i got this error :
    upload_2020-12-10_22-33-55.png

39. aloneandsuffering101

aloneandsuffering101

How can I make it so that the player has to press jump in order to vault instead of doing it automatically ?

40. Studiomaurer

Studiomaurer

Hi,
    Your system looks very nice. Unfortunately, my Project is heavily dependent on the Ultimate Character Controller by Opsive. Have you considered producing Addon-Abilities for the Opsive World with your Animations etc? Proper climbing isn't available yet and desperately needed. I would buy it right away ;-)

41. thanhle

thanhle

ismail_koroglu likes this.
  42. Monil

Monil

Hi thanhle,
    have you tried with "Abilities To Ignore" ?

43. thanhle

thanhle

"Abilities To Ignore" cant not applicable in this case

44. thanhle

thanhle

@diasrodrigo I try to Add Force for my character to jump
    i set Y= 0.00008 but it just jump a little bit ... but when i set Y= 0.0001 it jump too High
    i think there's a script that is controlling the character's Add Force parameter
    How can I Add Force normally?

45. thanhle

thanhle

Curent i can not set root motion for Jumping
    JumpAbility will control root motion , I want to turn it off so I can set the root motion to my liking. How can I do this?

46. luofffei

luofffei

The joystick button isn't draggable for mobile. Did anything go wrong?

47. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @thanhle . Sorry for missing here.

Do you want to jump and then attack down?
    I believe you can do this attack down as a new ability, and add only Jump Ability in its Ignore Abilities. Then, when you are in the air and press a button to attack, this ability enters. This is a way without using Vertical Root Motion

48. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Yes, I got a problem with that. For those who have faced this problem, I will attach a package here to fix it. Only extract it on your project and override Unity Input Manager

Attached Files:

49. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Unfortunately, there isn't integration with Opsive controller. You can try to integrate, but I can't guarantee it will work.

50. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

In Vault ability, you go in the abilitiy settings and change Input to Enter from Noone to Button Press and then choose the button you want:

upload_2020-12-27_9-26-9.png