Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

CLIMBING SYSTEM - [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by diasrodrigo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Tin-Aung-Khant

Tin-Aung-Khant

upload_2020-4-16_10-14-57.png

@Monil
    For case 1, its not about GroundCheckDistance.

In CheckGround() Function.
    it is SphereCasting with Full Character Radius,then conflict with other colliders which are not really grounded.

so i tried to multiple with 0.7f(Something smaller) rather than full radius then it solves.
    I am not sure this is right solution or not. Good Luck sir.

2. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone.

Sorry for my absent on forums. I never stayed too much time absent as it now.

I read all issues that all of you mentioned, specially issues you mentioned, @Monil .
    These changes I made in the asset, adding modifier manager and changing and splitting abilities, were intended to be easier to customize, but unfortunately I have realized that users are getting to much undesired bugs or issues that didn't happen before.

I would like to know your opinions. Would be better to find a new way to manage this, or do you think it's better to fix these issues and try to maintain this approach? (using Modifier Manager and new look inspector where you select one ability per time)

I ask it, because I really want to fix these issues, and I now I'm learning new stuffs of software engineering, including how to build better architectures, and I could think in a new way to manage this issues, splitting some functionalities in other components, such as Ground detection that got bugs.

Your opinions are really importante to me, and together we can find solutions that are good for all of us.

Again, sorry for my absent,. From now, I'll be more present here, on forums.
    Thank you for all you support and feedback. It helps me a lot.

3. Monil

Monil

Hi,
    I believe that changing architecture is like rebuilding a house from the foundations, the current one in my opinion is well done and easy to customize, maybe you could add other skills as product extensions, such as:
    swim, climb / pendulum a rope, move / climb over a deformed mesh (titan monster), for the skills already included I would like the jump to be sensitive to pressure time (0-0.2s) in order to jump to different powers, for the wall climbing and lower climb skills in other projects I used Animator.MatchTarget and in the animation clip when it touches the ground add a function that activates the FreeLocomotion transition. With a few small adjustments it will become a system with wide development horizons, congratulations and thanks for the support.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  4. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo I would prefer you to fix the bugs for now.Let developers continue their game development. Add more abilities
    You can always enhance it in your free time. Right now, we need these bugs to be ironed out allowing us to continue development.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  5. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Thanks for your feedbacks!

6. DaneTheRock

DaneTheRock

@Monil , did you find a solution for the character dropping at the end of a WallClimb?

Cheers!

diasrodrigo likes this.
  7. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I have a suggestion to avoid it, before I fix it in the enxt update.

Go to Wall Climb ability, and in Animation, change root motion multiplier in Z to greater than 1. I believe it can solve the problem for now.

8. DaneTheRock

DaneTheRock

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

9. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo I am unable to make this work even in the latest update. Kindly help

diasrodrigo likes this.
  10. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Did you try the character prefab available in the asset? Because he is working in this situation. You can check if some parameters are set differently, and maybe it can cause this. I've tested it right now, and character vaults even if he's crouching.

SamRock likes this.
  11. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Important information for all.
    I'm working in a new update to fix some bugs you mentioned and I'm also making some changes that will make asset more flexible.

I've received some e-mails from customers that don't want to use Cinemachine and would like to have the old Camera Controller system. To try make asset more flexible, I'll make Cinemachine camera an option instead of a needing in the asset.

This way I'll leave both options for those who wants to use Cinemachine and for those who don't want to use it.

I'm also cleaning the code on Third Person System to avoid situations like mentioned here, when character starts fall indefinetly. It happens because no ability enters the system.

I'm going to split some functionalities that are actually in use in Third Person System in other components tha makes more sense for developing. For example, the movement control that need to check input values I pretend to move to Unity Input Manager script, that handles all inputs.
    I'm doing some tests by now.

SamRock and Monil like this.
  12. ChoChick

ChoChick

Do you plan to split the fall distance calculation and fall abilities within that change?
    Currently, the fall height is calculated in the Fall ability, so if the user wants to use the fall height for other abilities (jump attack etc.), it must be created separately or via the fall ability.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  13. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Yes. It's a good point to split up.

ChoChick likes this.
  14. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, Rodrigo,
    I have a couple of issues using the asset.

1. This is somewhat related to making the controller more intelligent as I posted earlier; instead of relying on Layer triggers, try to detect them using raycast more intelligently. This will also fix some of the problem I mentioned before (how you place objects will cause some conflicts). Besides, one of biggest problem rihgt now (it wasn't an issue before but it getting to a point I have to do something) is that I'm running out of Layers. There are total of 32 layers and Climbing uses about 10 of them just to differentiate the type of triggers. I have no more layers left for other usage and I must find some ways to reduce them. 32 layers are way too little and I try to ask Unity to expand to 64 at least but it seems it's been asked for years and they are not going to do anything about it. Having Climging less relying on Layers would be a must if you want to release a real game.

2. I'm trying to use this asset for AI agent, like zombies, but it assumes that it is a player controller. It's not that hard to fix it but it would help expand its usage.

Thanks and I hope to hear some good news about reducing layers soon.

Cheers!

Monil, diasrodrigo and SamRock like this.
  15. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @chrisk

This layer issue is really annoying, I understand your point. I'm thinking a way to change this without causing problems to other users.

About AI. I have a future plans to make it works fine and with a Demo Scene. It will take a time, but this is something I really want to add.

SamRock, chrisk and Monil like this.
  16. chrisk

chrisk

Thanks for taking a look. Layers in Unity should be treated as one of the most valuable commodities along with global variables in Shader. LoL.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  17. SamRock

SamRock

Yes would be great to detect Climbable action based on the object's height! Similar to Auto Crouch and Auto Crawl that are triggered based on height

diasrodrigo likes this.
  18. mckelynn

mckelynn

Questions:
    -Is this Climbing System compatible with Rigidbody-based characters?
    -Any plans for Ootii "Third Person Motion Controller" integration?
    Thanks!

diasrodrigo likes this.
  19. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello
    - It uses Rigidbody for all movements and physics itneractions.
    - Unfortunately, no. The problem to make integrations is that assets can be changed for any reason. Then I have to also change my asset if any of these assets change. Actually, it only has integration with InControl.

mckelynn likes this.
  20. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo

I have added some Layers into the Climbing Animator Controller. But for some reason they are not getting activated. Are you disabling Layers somewhere in the code?

Monil likes this.
  21. Monil

Monil

I also have the same problem, I'm trying to add the attacking ability as it runs, but I haven't figured out how to integrate yet AnimatorManager.SetAnimatorState (string newState, float transitionDuration, int layer) I'd like a basic demo

22. SamRock

SamRock

I figured it out.; I found two ways of doing it:
    1. You need to goto AnimatorManager.cs and disable the following code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  private void FixedUpdate()
    2.         {
    3.             for (int i = 0; i < m_MaxAnimatorLayers; i++)
    4.             {
    5.                 layerWeight[i] += layerVelocity[i] * Time.deltaTime;
    6.                 layerWeight[i] = Mathf.Clamp(layerWeight[i], 0, 1);
    7.                 m_Animator.SetLayerWeight(i, layerWeight[i]);
    8.             }
    9.         }
    2. Or add the following code to the Update or Fixed Update of the required Ability:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  for (int i = 0; i < anim.layerCount; i++)
    2.             {
    3.                 anim.SetLayerWeight(i, 1);
    4.             }

diasrodrigo and Monil like this.
  23. September9

September9

Is there a simple way to automatically unequip weapons when start climbing? (After Integration with the shooter system)

redoxoder likes this.
  24. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I believe you have to change some code in the Character Shooter Controller. I'll check it.

25. LTYE

LTYE

Hi Rodrigo! Keep up the great work with your systems :) I was wondering do you have a project roadmap anywhere with a plan for upcoming features and additions across the climbing and shooter systems?

26. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

At the moment no, but I'm working on that, and all of you can give your suggestions. Thank you for all your support.

27. SamRock

SamRock

Hi @diasrodrigo,,

As you know I am working on a 2.5D swimming gaming using your System. The swimming logic worked perfectly till now.
    However when I switched to a new location of the scene (eg: from Back view to Front View) the movement of the character is suddenly inverted (pressing LEFT key moves character right and vice versa)! I tried using your Unity Input Manager as is, but it just wont fix the issue.
    I suspect this happening after the new changes in V3.

Could you please suggest the right code to call from your ThirdPerson system to enable my character to move to X/Y and also ensure the change in camera position is handled . Since its swimming, i turn off gravity. Pressing Up/Down needs to move character in Y axis

28. SamRock

SamRock

@sayginkarahan Reaching out to you as I see there is not much response from the Asset dev :(
    I am following your game on Facebook and was watching some of yoiur videos:
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=583812265720193

How are you performing the Climb ability while the character is in Water? Did you write your own Ability? Or are you using Ability that comes here?

Would be grateful if you could guide me how its achieved!

29. Monil

Monil

Hi @diasrodrigo,

I know that AI is a complicated part..

for some months I have paused the development of the character who climbs for fear that the next update will have to go back and do it again, what I would like to see in the next update:

Standard Camera + cinemachine
    Having Climging less relying on Layers
    Layer support for animator controller
    Fix some previously mentioned bugs

For the AI part I would pay more and with the integration of A * Pathfinding double (in the next version 4)

I hope for some good news

diasrodrigo and SamRock like this.
  30. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello guys
    Sorry for missing in the forum.

I have answered @SamRock in the facebook, he sent me a message.
    Sorry, I could not fnished the new update yet. I made some progress in the new Camera Controller, but it's not ready for an update. I also did a small update fixing a bug with ground detection a while ago.

I could not finish it yet because I'm working in a 3 projects, and I had to split my time to make all. But I almost finishing 2 of them, and I believe I will be able to turn back all my attention to my assets.

Hope all of you understand me, sorry for being missing updates for you. I'm also answering e-mails to everyone who send me. If you need some urgent support, you can contact me there: rodrigoaadias@hotmail.com or diasgamesindie@gmail.com

Rallix, ChoChick and SamRock like this.
  31. davidjfranco

davidjfranco

edited:
    Will post a reply if D.R. replies to my email, just noticing that Step Up is pretty unreliable to trigger, it can take a couple of tries to get it to register, or sometimes when I stop moving into it (with forward motion), it'll trigger.
    :)
    Latest version 3.13 I believe.
    If anyone has figured out how to make it more reliable, would appreciate your feedback :D
    I have modified the capsule sphere to avoid the glitch of constant falling or stuck in a null state - so that's awesome!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  32. Rallix

Rallix

It's probably not too important, but I'll just mention that in the new Unity version released yesterday, the climbing animator outputs these warnings:

upload_2020-7-24_10-44-42.png

diasrodrigo likes this.
  33. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Other costumers reported me about this issue. Are you using version 2020?

34. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I was searching about this problem of duplciate parameters, and there is a post about it. It looks like a bug in the newer versions: https://forum.unity.com/threads/dup...ntroller-with-unity-2020-1-and-2020-2.927416/

A lot of other assets are facing this problem, like Horse Animset Pro and Opsive controllers.

That's something related to Unity Engine, not our assets. I will still trying to find a way tor emove this warnings, but I think we need to report a bug about it.

35. Rallix

Rallix

Yes, 2020.1.

Oh, all right. In any case, I didn't encounter any climbing bugs which could seemingly be caused by the duplicate parameters, so it might just as well be a false positive.

Can you reproduce the warning in the 2020 version, if you want to submit a bug report?
    In my case, the warning shows up simply whenever I open the project with the climbing system in it (2020.1+).

36. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Yes. the same with me.

37. aloneandsuffering101

aloneandsuffering101

Hello,
    I really like the feel of your climbing system in the demo and I would like to purchase but is it true there is no integration with invector third person controller? My project is already built around that controller and I would just like to add your climbing system to it. Is there anyway you can help with that? I would purchase immediately if possible.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  38. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Unfortunately there isn't integration with Invector. Even if you try to integrate both, it can be buggy, because both works in different ways.

unityunity