Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020.2 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

CLIMBING SYSTEM - [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by diasrodrigo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Rallix

Rallix

After the update, some things seem to work differently than before, though.

Then there's the wall climb ability which is a bit wonky even for the demo climbing character.
    Basically, Wall Climb automatically continues Up / Down after a single keystroke (which might be undesirable if, let's say, you need to allow the player to wait still to avoid a climbing hazard). At the top, unless you hold the Forward key, the character won't climb up (nor hold the ledge) and will fall down instead.
    https://imgur.com/UEKfmQz

You can sometimes get stuck, e.g. like this:
    https://imgur.com/p1Jz6hf
    (or what I posted last time: https://imgur.com/VC1gCc3 )
    The problem is, if you get stuck, that's it; you need to restart. The character doesn't recover from it and you can't interrupt the action in any way (dropping down, jumping away, simply falling…). Perhaps there should be a timeout, some failsafe, or the "drop" command could cancel an action (e.g. the ledge grab) even halfway through (i.e. if you press 'X' in the middle of ledge-grabbing animation, it'd make you fall).

Also if I remember correctly, in previous versions your character could simply run off a ledge or jump at the last moment if he was running fast enough. Now it returned to the previous behaviour of autograbbing if you are close to the edge (even with "Max Allowed Drop Speed" set to 0 in "Drop to Climb" ability).
    https://imgur.com/eifb76M

Anyway, those are my two cents. I love the progress you're making with this asset! The Cinemachine angles look great and being able to climb moving object is almost certainly going to come in handy. :)

diasrodrigo likes this.
  2. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, I've got this Asset a long time ago and I just got upgraded to V3 trying to integrate into Opsive Character Controller.
    I believe you mentioned you will try to integrate into Opsive while ago but I guess you decided to create your own controller.
    I respect your decision but I've been waiting for a long time until the integration.

Well, Right now, I'm trying to integrate without changing the code too much to avoid patching easier but having two controllers at the same time is not really an easy task.
    Have you tried it yourself in the past?
    I'm sure you already studied Opsive controller before. How would you go about integrating?
    I would appreciate it if you can help guide us.

Thanks.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  3. pixeloved

pixeloved

Yup, there are some erros in my case- here's preview.

Also, please try to add some tutorial to integration shooter and climbing systems together, it seems there are some errors and my character stays in T-pose all the time. Probably my own mistake, but it would be great to see the proper way to implement both systems.

EDIT: started new project, added both systems and I've added to shooting character climbing build- seems to work without any problems so far. hell knows why it didn't previously. Will try to add my own player model and we will see how it works.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    diasrodrigo likes this.
  4. Shturmovik

Shturmovik

Hi,

I'm working on a prototype for a stealth puzzle game aimed at casual audiences, so planning to have a simple "click/tap to move" interface rather than direct 3rd person controls.

My current idea is to simulate input by analysing which buttons would need to be pressed to move to a new position, and then feed that to the climbing system.

An example: the character is standing next to a wall which has some ledges on it. If the player clicks on a ledge that's within reach, the character will jump and grab hold of that ledge, and can then move to other ledges/ladders/platforms from there by clicking/tapping.

Fairly certain it's just a matter of scripting the 3d navigation logic and sending input to the climbing system, but if anyone has already done something like this, I'd really love to hear their input.

EDIT: I'm currently using a simple homegrown system based on NavMeshAgents, but would really like to have more vertically oriented level designs with climbing as part of the puzzle mechanics.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  5. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone. Sorry tot ake long time to answer all of you. For some reasons all my forums notifiers are going to spam folder. But I will try to answer eryone now.

Thank you to share your videos. It helps me a lot to try figure out what`s happening, I`ll take a look at these issues.
    About Max Allowed Speed, if you set it to some value, your character will not drop to climb. I really don`t remember why I changed it to 0 in the asset, sorry.

Hello @chrisk. Opsive has changed their controller to a complete new version. I didn`t buy this new version and I`ve watched some videos from them and I realized the old integration don`t work for the new version. It was not an easy decision, but I decided to stop this itnegration, because most users that buy my asset don`t use it. I know this is not good to hear for you and other users that used to combine these two assets, but it`s complicated to me to keeping integration updates with a third person asset. Everytime some changes happened to them, I`ll have to buy a new asset, and it doesn`t worthy for me, as I`m an individual developer.
    Hope you understand.

Your error are related to editor scripts. I made an update to try fix these issues. Did you update it
    In the Climbing System manual, there is a topic to create Shooter System and Climbing System together, and all you have to do is build both characters. It should work in the firts character you built.

You can send input action to Unity Input Manager script that is attached to any character. In Third Person System there is also a variable called m_IsAICharacter. You need to set in Unity Input Manager, manualUpdate to true, and with Third Person System, call a function called SetControllerAsAI(). Then you have to send NavAgent info to inputs to make your character perform abilities you want. I didn`t try something as you want, but I believe it`s possible to do.

Rallix likes this.
  6. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, @diasrodrigo
    I started the integration and making some progress. I'll let you know if I have any questions.
    Yeah, I think it's better you spend your time on improving your asset than on integration.

BTW, do you have any roadmap? I'm really interested in seeing what plan you have.
    Thanks.

diasrodrigo likes this.
  7. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I recently released a new version fixing some bugs mentioned.

Wall Climb was climbing forever and I found the problem. Now it's solved.
    I set a timer to check if character is trying to grab for too long, and then, character skip the animation. But I could not test, because I couldn't reproduce this bug. I hope it's working by now.

I also fixed another minor issues, and hope it helps all of you.

Rallix likes this.
  8. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

First you need to detect when character must enter this ability or not. You can check TryEnterAbility function and TryExit. Also look at OnEnter and OnExiti ability.

After that, you need to constatly update functions that are inside FixedUpdateAbility being called in FixedUpdate and UpdateAbility that is called in Update.

There are other functions, you can simply copy and paste them to your integration script.
    In their old version I started creating a new ability, inheriting from their Ability class. You can do this, and adjust to their functions and parameters.

9. chrisk

chrisk

Thanks. I got the integration working and it's pretty fun to play with the controller. Many thank for the wonderful controller.
    It's really cool!

I'm really curious about what you have in mind for the next.
    Do you have any plans, for example, gliding down on a rope, grappling hook and such?

Cheers!

diasrodrigo likes this.
  10. Rallix

Rallix

Thank you very much for the quick update! :)
    By the way, I played around with climbing on rotating surfaces, even drop-to-climb on moving platforms and it works just perfectly. This opens many possibilities. :)

Modifier inspector works fine.
    Wall Climb is stopping properly now, but sometimes you still fall at the top even though you're holding forward button (even the provided demo climbing character). I used a controller to visualise the input.
    https://imgur.com/x5WDHth

Actually, it was set to 5 in the asset, but it didn't seem to work.
    What I was saying that even after setting the "max speed allowed to drop" to 0 (= the character should never drop to climb) or 0.5, 3 – whatever value, it got ignored and the character always drops. It doesn't take much 'debugging' to find the cause:

This seems like a perfect solution. Thank you.

Unfortunately, it seems like if there is a timer, it skips the animation only to immediately reenter it again.
    https://imgur.com/cInwAod
    https://imgur.com/BGj1WtN

In my case, it's simply a shorter (Mixamo-rigged) character model put through the "Build Climbing Character" and put into the demo scene. The protagonists of my game are children/teens, so I tend to run into some issues with their height, the more it differs from the default climbing character. Thankfully, it often only needs slight adjustments of some parameters. I try to stay away from making changes to the code which would be overwritten with the next update anyway.

If you'd like to, I will gladly send you the rigged character models in the demo scene to your support email so you have something to test it with because I think I won't be the only one who will run into these kinds of issues in the future. Okay?

-----

As a side note, the new updates might have broken controlling with cursor which can be seen in the Mobile Demo scene. You need a cursor to test it, it shows after pressing 'Esc' – but each click hides it again.
    Perhaps the UnityInputManager script should have some property like 'Always Show Cursor' which you could enable/disable when you need cursor control, e.g. after opening inventory, or when you control the character like Shturmovik wants to. Unless I missed this property somewhere else.
    https://imgur.com/bwpQcqn

Thank you for this tip.
    This is useful to know even if you don't need to control the character with the cursor (e.g. for cutscenes, sidekick characters…).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    diasrodrigo likes this.
  11. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I would like to make some of this, but I'm not sure if I can get it working, but thank you for your suggestion

12. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

For this problem, try change root motion multiplier for this ability. Increase Z value. Maybe if you use 1.5 it will not happen anymore.

All abilities have an option to set input to enter in the ability. Did you try set some button? I don't know if this is what you want, but if you set a button to start drop, it will never drop automatically.

Try decrease, for Climbing Ability, Linecast end point. As your character is small, maybe you need to adjust not only ofsset, but linecast start and end points. If you don't know what is it, I explain in this video:

You are right. I will add an option for that. this way user can define when to show or not the mouse cursor

Rallix likes this.
  13. eugencristea93

eugencristea93

I have a quick question.
    I didn't yet try your system but.. I'm curious about couple of things before I begin.

--------------------
    Is there a way to rebind the 'climb' mechanic to a button, so the character would grab onto things only when a button is pressed? Like.. 'Press E to grab'

Example being. When you jump off a building you would simply fall down, even when there are grab points around you.
    So it doesn't automatically grab you unless you press a button. Is it possible?

--------------------
    Second.. Can I turn off various aspects of your mechanic without turning off the whole script?

Example being.. keeping the climbing but not the roll or crouch.
    (Tho I suppose I could add a toggle button to turn off or on your controller and use something else) (I plan to have various modes.. a 'Combat Mode' 'Adventure Mode' etc)

--------------------

And third.
    Can I use this with FinalIK and PuppetMaster?

I'm not sure if it affects it or not. (I want to let the player be able to free aim with one hand while hooked to a grab point)
    Or.. Have the puppet master hit animations when hit.

Cheers
    -Gene

14. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello, for both the answer is yes. All abilities have option to set an Input to enter. In the case of climbing, you must play E for example to grab, but after grab, if you stop rpessing e, it will keep climbing.

I believe yes, but I don't have any integration script for that. All climbing Ik is handle by Climb IK script. You can try use my commands to Final IK

Here you can see how my system works:

15. Rallix

Rallix

Yes, that was it, for both problems. Thank you!

Thanks. I was simply pointing out that currently, the variable isn't used in any script. The part checking for speed using "Max Allowed Drop Speed" in Drop To Climb ability is (in the newest version) commented-out, and I was wondering why. If I uncomment it, it works as expected.

mads.png
    ---

Anyway, thank you for all the tips and help. Much appreciated!

diasrodrigo likes this.
  16. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Oh, I don't remember why I left it commented, maybe when I was debugging something. Thank you for warning me, it was my mistake.

17. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo
    1. I havent tried the latest updates yet as there were couple of issues reported. Are all these issues resolved?

2. Also if I download the update will I have to re-create by Main Character from scratches? Or will it simply update my existing character to new version? Asking because my character Object is tied to several cutscenes and AI logic.

3. Also I see the main character is tied to the "Character" layer #15. if this is changed to other layers the character starts bouncing around. Is there a restriction to keep this layer selected? How can I change it to something else?

4. I have unchecked "TransparentFX" layer from the Climbing Obstacle Mask, but still when the Post Processing Box is on, my character doesnt trigger the Droppable Ledge abibilty! When I disable the PP ox, the Character drops as expected! Could you please check why this happens? Same happens on your Demo scene. If I add a Post processing Volume of scale 100,100,100 (covering the entire scene) and select any layer (doesnt matter what ...Water, UI, TransparentFX) its just ignore and character doesnt drop. Looks like inside a trigger Collider things dont work or Obstacle Mask is not being used??
    Could you please check if something is wrong? I have a whole climbing level coming up
    DroppableLedge Not working.PNG

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    diasrodrigo likes this.
  18. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello @SamRock
    Sorry to take time to answer you.

So, you should not get problems to update to the new version, but it's always important to make this good approach: create a copy of your actual project before update.

About layers, there is a little problem that I have to fix, I'll send it this week, as soon as possible. In droppable there is only one mask property for droppable ledges, and to check if there is an obstacle I'm actually using Physic.AllLayers. I'll expose obstacle parameters for Droppable ledges too.

SamRock likes this.
  19. Kev00

Kev00

I was looking at this climbing system and it looks fantastic. I have a few questions

1. How easy is it to get this system working with AI controlled characters?
    2. Are there any examples of it working with an AI character?
    3. How tightly coupled is the system with user input?

diasrodrigo likes this.
  20. Tin-Aung-Khant

Tin-Aung-Khant

Can you make Road-Map?
    Btw you can sell some extra ability(like Grappling Hook) as add-on.

21. SamRock

SamRock

Thank you.. Looking forward for the fix :)

Also, I just noticed that I cant vault while I am Crouch .. how can I achieve that?

22. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone. First of all, sorry to be missing this week on forums. Just for knowing, I started a new job in VR and my classes are back in university, because of that I could not answer all of you.

1. For AI you can set a variable inside Third Person System to tell system that character is controlled by AI. And then you can send inputs to character via Input Manager script that is also attached when you build character.
    2. There is an example of AI in my Shooter System package, but unfortunately not in Climbing System.
    3. For input I use a script called UnityInputManager that handles all character inputs, and you can easily disable it setting manualUpdate to true. This way your character will not receive user input unless you tell it to do by code.

Actually I don't have one. But I'll try to do, sorry for that.

In Vault ability you need to add Crouch ability to abilities to ignore, telling system to ignore crouch and vault

SamRock likes this.
  23. SamRock

SamRock

Firstly, all the best on your new VR project and university! :)

Crouch is already added to Vault , but it doesnt seem to be activating. Do you have sample of it working for you?

Attached Files:

diasrodrigo likes this.
  24. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

There are some issues that can be causing it. Are you using input key to enter vault ability? Or character vaults automatically?

25. SamRock

SamRock

I use the SPACE key to vault over

26. SamRock

SamRock

27. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

SamRock likes this.
  28. SamRock

SamRock

Thank you Rodrigo! Hope you and your loved ones are safe. Please take care and take your time... :) No hurry

If you could possibly give me a hint on fix I will try doing it my self :)

29. sayginkarahan

sayginkarahan

Yes, take care and stay at home. Be safe!

diasrodrigo and SamRock like this.
  30. chrisk

chrisk

@diasrodrigo, I hope all are well. I find myself stuck at home as well. It forces me to spend more time with a computer actually. ^^

It's really fun to work with this asset but I have some issues detecting climbable objects.

1. "StepUp", "LowerClimb", and "DroppableLedge" can sometimes be mixed. For example, if you are standing on top of some object or on higher ground, DroppableLedge can be perceived as LowerClimb, and LowerClimb can be perceived as StepUp. Another situation is that if the object is laid sideways, for example, a tall Cabinet; normally it's DroppableLedge, but when laid sideways, it's LowerClimb. I think the correct of solving this problem is to detect the height instead of relying just on object Layer information. Is it possible if we can change the detector a bit smarter?

2. When an object is behind a wall, it tries to start the ability. This is more like a bug because it only cares the detector is inside of an object. The detector needs to check if there is anything in between the player and the object and if it gets in the way.

3. When two LowerClimb objects stacked on top of each other, it should not start the ability because the top object can block the player. For example, think about two box crates that are stacked on top of each other. When you approach the bottom crate, it will try to start LowerClimb but the top crate will block the player. (right now it penetrate the top crate and you will get stuck)

Thanks for the support.

Take care~

diasrodrigo and SamRock like this.
  31. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello

1- For this case I've already thought about this possibility. I'll consider doing it for future releases.

2- This is an important point to check. I believe it's not so hard to do.

3- It also must be fixed. thanks for your warning me.

32. ChoChick

ChoChick

ver.3.0 is used.

1. Is there a function to return the camera to the front of the character?
    2. Can I temporarily point the camera at a specific object? (Eg, looking down at the weapon near the character)

If you don't have features 1 and 2, do you plan to add them?

33. chrisk

chrisk

Thanks for taking a look. I hope making the detector smarter will help make the asset a lot more powerful.

I just experiment by making m_ClimbableMask = Physics.AllLayers and see what happens.
    It will allow Vault, LowerClimb, StepUp, Climbing abilities to work together.
    Of course, there are some artifacts but it seems like a doable.

Among all climb abilities, Vault is a little special because I think we should be able to both step up or vault over. If you are moving fast, it should vault, and if you are not moving fast, it should just step up if possible (assuming there are enough step up area, otherwise, it should vault)

Anyway, I believe merging Vault, LowerClimb, StepUp, Climbing into a single ability can improve performance as it doesn't need to do raycast test as much by many different but similar abilities.

Please keep the good work.
    Cheers!

diasrodrigo likes this.
  34. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Actually there isn't a function for both.
    In version 3.1, it's using Cinemachine that is really flexible to do things like you need. If you want to keep version 3.0 you can also use Cinemachine. And when you want to fix camera position, you disable Camera Manager script to use Cinemachine system. After finish Cinemachine, you return to default Camera Manager.

35. ChoChick

ChoChick

Update to version 3.1 and try Cinemachine.
    Thank you.

36. David5988

David5988

Hello,

Is there a date of release of the push/pull blocks feature?

37. Mars91

Mars91

Hi Rodrigo I sent you an email can you please check it out?

38. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

I found your e-mail in my spam folder. I don't know why it went there.

39. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Hello everyone!

I recently updated Climbing System. A new version is already available and in this new version I focused in solving bug issues, like bugs with Modifier Inspector and Drop to climb ability. All changes are listed in the release notes in the asset page.

Thank you all for support and bug reporting

40. diasrodrigo

diasrodrigo

Unfortunately no, sorry...

41. SamRock

SamRock

@diasrodrigo

Thank you for the quick and amazing updates! The Obstacle mask on Drop Climb is perfectly working now! Also loved the new Cinemachine integration. However I run into some new issue.. mostly questions I guess.

In the earlier version I was able disable the mouse movement, but now I am unable to find this setting. I dont need Freelook for my game, just a static position at all time. How do I do that? As you know my game is 2.5D

Edit: I am seeing lot of error message for ClimbIK. I was unable to find the place to set this instance
    Climbing.PNG

And I m not able to see anything in the "Modifier Manager" .. clicking + doesnt do anything
    climingModifiier.PNG

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  42. Monil

Monil

Hi,

when the character rolls and finds a stepup or an obstacle he stops and enters the ability falls or null ability, then when I jump touching a sloping surface it goes much higher, how can I prevent it?

Then when he climbs a wall or when he lowers to get off a wall most of the time the character falls.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    thanhle and SamRock like this.
  43. SamRock

SamRock

I can confirm the first two scenarios has occurred to me as well. When charcter vaults from an obstacle and lands on other wall.. he is basically stuck in air in falling animation

44. dbordzo

dbordzo

There is my solution for this:

Go to: Dias Games/Editor/Inspector and file ModifierManagerInspector

Comment all

After this go to script: Modifier Manager

And in Awake change it to:

Code (CSharp):
    2. private void Awake()
    3.         {
    4.             m_System = GetComponent<ThirdPersonSystem>();
    6.             m_Modifiers = new List<Modifier>();
    7.             Modifier[] modifierTab = GetComponents<Modifier>();
    9.             foreach (Modifier mod in modifierTab)
    10.                 m_Modifiers.Add(mod);
    12.             // Initialize each modifier attached to character
    13.             foreach (Modifier mod in m_Modifiers)
    14.                 mod.Initialize(m_System);
    15.         }
    It should works

SamRock likes this.
  45. SamRock

SamRock

Thank you so much! Worked like a charm :)
    @diasrodrigo Hope you get a chance to fix this.
    Also I noticed that most of the Mouse Input variables are hard coded. Like HideCursor, Camera Movement with mouse. Locking cursor to center of the screen. All these were customizable in previous versions. Kindly bring back these. I have manually modified the code in UnityInputManager.cs to disable MouseMovement and commented "Cursor.lockState = CursorLockMode.Locked;". This has allowed me to go use to my Grenade Throw code.

I still have issues similar to ones raised by @Monil.
    Also the ClimbIK's Y Hand Offset Y position is not getting changed.. no matter what value I assign to it. Same with Foot Offset.
    Will try to post a video later today

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  46. dbordzo

dbordzo

@diasrodrigo
    I've changed a lot of your code.
    Because you've got bugs that sometimes we've got null state.
    And this bugs are mostly from ground check function.
    It doesn't work properly, and because system thinks that is not grounded, Free Locomotion is not running.

Because I've had to make it works I've choose to overrirde ground checking during jump, to work as your normal ground checking.
    And your normal ground checking function I wrote from screech, as very simple function which check that raycast is close enough to ground.
    But I know that it should be a better solution.

I hope that you will make new update as soon as possible :)

chrisk and SamRock like this.
  47. Monil

Monil

Hi @diasrodrigo ,
    I imagine you are completely full of other commitments ...
    ClimbingSystem.jpg

48. Tin-Aung-Khant

Tin-Aung-Khant

@Monil
    For your Case 1,I set Ground Check Distance 0.6f and it works fine.

Monil likes this.
  49. Monil

Monil

Hi Tin-Aung-Khant,

I set Ground Check distance as you said and now it works, the higher jump is a minor problem, although I would like to have more control over the power of the jump based on the pressure time (now I find the way to implement it), when climbing and descending the walls often lose their grip and fall, I tried to change some parameters of WallClimb and LowerClimb but it gets worse, 2 out of three cases solved.

Thank you

50. Tin-Aung-Khant

Tin-Aung-Khant

upload_2020-4-16_9-33-16.png

@Monil is that (case 2) 0:57?
    It will be solved if you close that Code in JumpAbility.cs.

I just updated new climbing system.
    I am having too much issues like we never got before.

unityunity