Search Unity

Feature Request Client-side prediction and reconciliation

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by mishakozlov74, Feb 8, 2023.

1. mishakozlov74

mishakozlov74

Hey, currently Netcode for Gameobjects is barely possible to use for any game having character movement.
    The reason for that is lack of client-side prediction solution.

Both approaches (server and client authoritative) have unbearable problems.
    Server authoritative has input lag that instantly drives people crazy.
    Client authoritative can't calculate precise positions when calculations happen on two clients (they can go through each other during RTT for example).

So, the only possible solution is client-side prediction and reconciliation. This is the most essential thing that literally any game would need to have.

I managed to implement it myself and there are some solution that can do that (although, it's more like proof of a concept).

And I see that it's in "Planned" section in roadmap.

I'm struggling with making it work with root-motion driven character and it's very, very hard for me.
    I'm pretty sure that nobody ever tried to do that using Netcode, so I don't even ask for help.

But if somebody from Unity team read this, please consider adding support for root motion.
    The only question I might ask is about the current state of client-side prediction feature. Do you think you'll be able to release it during the 2023 cycle?

Thanks!

2. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

We are! :D
    I reported your feedback to who needs to read it, thanks for asking.

It's still being investigated and we're too early in 2023 to say anything about it. Anything could happen in the upcoming 10 months.
    If you're working on your game now, I would recommend to explore production-ready prediction + reconcilition solutions (or to implement your own)

mishakozlov74 likes this.
  3. Drahcyr

Drahcyr

Hate to necro a post, but are there any updates on this?

KevinCastejon likes this.
  4. KevinCastejon

KevinCastejon

I'm also very interested into client prediction and lag compensation features for NetcodeForGameObjects, as it's already implemented into NetcodeForEntities.

5. khuarizmi98

khuarizmi98

Hi any updates from unity side regarding this features?

6. KevinCastejon

KevinCastejon

alysonlupo likes this.